Takashi Miike (三池 崇史, Miike Takashi, born August 24, 1960) is a Japanese filmmaker. He has directed over one hundred theatrical, video, and television productions since his debut in 1991. His films run through a variety of different genres, and range from violent and bizarre to dramatic and family-friendly movies. He is a controversial figure in a contemporary Japanese cinema industry and Sion Sono's closest friend, some of his best known films are Audition (1999), Ichi the Killer (2001) and 13 Assassins (2010).
|Born||August 24, 1960|
Yao, Osaka, Japan
|Occupation||Actor, director, producer, writer|
Miike was born in Yao, Osaka Prefecture, to a Nikkei family originally from the Kumamoto Prefecture, on the island of Kyushu. During World War II, his grandfather was stationed in China and Korea, and his father was born in Seoul in today's South Korea. His father worked as a welder and his mother as a seamstress. Although he claimed to have attended classes only rarely, he graduated from Yokohama Vocational School of Broadcast and Film (Yokohama Hōsō Eiga Senmon Gakkō) under the guidance of renowned filmmaker Shohei Imamura, the founder and Dean of that institution.
Miike's first films were television productions, but he also began directing several direct-to-video V-Cinema releases. Miike still directs V-Cinema productions intermittently due to the creative freedom afforded by the less stringent censorship of the medium and the riskier content that the producers will allow.
Miike's theatrical debut was the film The Third Gangster (Daisan no gokudō). However, it was Shinjuku Triad Society (1995) that was the first of his theatrical releases to gain public attention. The film showcased his extreme style and his recurring themes, and its success gave him the freedom to work on higher-budgeted pictures. Shinjuku Triad Society is also the first film in what is labeled his "Black Society Trilogy", which also includes Rainy Dog (1997) and Ley Lines (1999). He gained international fame in 2000 when his romantic horror film Audition (1999), his violent yakuza epic Dead or Alive (1999), and his controversial adaptation of the manga Ichi the Killer played at international film festivals. He has since gained a strong cult following in the West that is growing with the increase in DVD releases of his works. His film Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai premiered In Competition at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival. His 2013 film Straw Shield was nominated for the Palme d'Or at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival.
Themes of his workEdit
Miike achieved notoriety for depicting shocking scenes of extreme violence and sexual perversions. Many of his films contain graphic and lurid bloodshed, often portrayed in an over-the-top, cartoonish manner. Much of his work depicts the activities of criminals (especially yakuza) or concern themselves with gaijin, non-Japanese or foreigners living in Japan. He is known for his dark sense of humor and for pushing the boundaries of censorship as far as they will go.
Despite his notorious reputation, Miike has directed film in a range of genres. He has created lighthearted children's films (Ninja Kids!!!, The Great Yokai War), period pieces (Sabu), a road movie (The Bird People in China), a teen drama (Andromedia), a farcical musical-comedy-horror (The Happiness of the Katakuris), and video game adaptations (Like a Dragon, Ace Attorney). Other less controversial works include Ley Lines and Agitator, which are character-driven crime dramas.
While Miike often creates films that are less accessible and target arthouse audiences and fans of extreme cinema, such as Izo and the "Box" segment in Three... Extremes, he has created several mainstream and commercial titles such as the horror film One Missed Call and the fantasy drama The Great Yokai War.
Several of Miike's films have been subject to scrutiny due to heavy violence. His 2001 horror film Ichi the Killer, adapted from a manga of the same name and starring Tadanobu Asano as a sadomasochistic yakuza enforcer, was highly controversial; during its international premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2001, the audience received "barf bags" emblazoned with the film's logo as a promotional gimmick. The British Board of Film Classification refused to allow the release of the film uncut in the United Kingdom, citing its extreme levels of sexual violence towards women; the film required 3 minutes and 15 seconds of mandated cuts to be allowed release. In Hong Kong, 16 minutes and 59 seconds of footage were cut.[unreliable source?] Ichi the Killer was also banned outright in Norway, Germany and Malaysia.
In 2005, Miike was invited to direct an episode of the Masters of Horror anthology series. The series, featuring episodes by a range of established horror directors such as John Carpenter, Tobe Hooper and Dario Argento, was supposed to provide directors with relative creative freedom and relaxed restrictions on violent and sexual content (some sexual content was edited from the Argento-directed episode "Jenifer"). However, when the Showtime cable network acquired the rights to the series, Miike’s episode, "Imprint", was deemed too disturbing for the network. Showtime cancelled it from the broadcast lineup even after extended negotiations, though it was retained as part of the series' DVD release. Mick Garris, creator and executive producer of the series, described the episode as "amazing, but hard even for me to watch... definitely the most disturbing film I've ever seen".
While "Imprint" has yet to air in the United States, it has aired on Bravo in the United Kingdom, on FX in Mexico, South and Central America, the Dominican Republic, France, Israel, Turkey, on Nelonen in Finland, and on Rai Tre in Italy. Anchor Bay Entertainment, which has handled the DVD releases for the Masters of Horror series in the US, released "Imprint" uncut on Region 1 DVD on September 26, 2006.
|Eyecatch Junction||突風！ ミニパト隊 アイキャッチ・ジャンクション||Toppū! Minipato tai - Aikyatchi Jankushon||Video|
|Lady Hunter: Prelude to Murder||レディハンター 殺しのプレュード||Redi hantā: Koroshi no pureryūdo||Video|
|1992||(Shissō Feraari 250 GTO / Rasuto ran: Ai to uragiri no hyaku-oku en)||疾走フェラーリ250GTO/ラスト・ラン～愛と裏切りの百億円||Shissō Feraari 250 GTO / Rasuto ran: Ai to uragiri no hyaku-oku en
Shissō Feraari 250 GTO / Rasuto ran: Ai to uragiri no ¥10 000 000 000
|A Human Murder Weapon||人間兇器 愛と怒りのリング||Ningen kyōki: Ai to ikari no ringu||Video|
|1993||Bodyguard Kiba||ボディガード牙||Bodigādo Kiba||Video|
|(Oretachi wa tenshi ja nai)||俺達は天使じゃない||Oretachi wa tenshi ja nai||Video|
|(Oretachi wa tenshi ja nai 2)||俺達は天使じゃない２||Oretachi wa tenshi ja nai 2||Video|
|1994||Shinjuku Outlaw||新宿アウトロー||Shinjuku autorou||Video|
|Bodyguard Kiba: Apocalypse of Carnage||修羅の黙示録 ボディーガード牙||Shura no mokushiroku: Bodigādo Kiba||Video|
|1995||(Daisan no gokudō)||第三の極道||Daisan no gokudō||Theatrical debut|
|Bodyguard Kiba: Apocalypse of Carnage 2||修羅の黙示録2 ボディーガード牙||Shura no mokushiroku 2: Bodigādo Kiba||Video|
|Osaka Tough Guys||なにわ遊侠伝||Naniwa yūkyōden||Video|
|Shinjuku Triad Society||新宿黒社会 チャイナ マフィア戦争||Shinjuku kuroshakai: Chaina mafia sensō||Film|
|1996||(Shin daisan no gokudō: boppatsu Kansai gokudō sensō)||新・第三の極道 勃発 関西極道ウォーズ！！||Shin daisan no gokudō: boppatsu Kansai gokudō sensō||Video|
|(Shin daisan no gokudō II)||新・第三の極道II||Shin daisan no gokudō II||Video|
|Ambition Without Honor||仁義なき野望||Jingi naki yabō||Video|
|Peanuts||落華星 ピイナッツ||Rakkasei: Piinattsu||Video|
|The Way to Fight||喧嘩の花道 大阪最強伝説||Kenka no hanamichi: Ōsaka saikyō densetsu||Video|
|Fudoh: The New Generation||極道戦国志 不動||Gokudō sengokushi: Fudō||Film|
|1997||Ambition Without Honor 2||仁義なき野望2||Jingi naki yabō 2||Video|
|Young Thugs: Innocent Blood||岸和田少年愚連隊 血煙り純情篇||Kishiwada shōnen gurentai: Chikemuri junjō-hen||Film|
|Rainy Dog||極道黒社会 RAINY DOG||Gokudō kuroshakai||Film|
|Full Metal Yakuza||FULL METAL 極道||Full Metal gokudō||Video|
|1998||The Bird People in China||中国の鳥人||Chûgoku no chôjin||Film|
|Blues Harp||BLUES HARP||n/a||Film|
|Young Thugs: Nostalgia||岸和田少年愚連隊 望郷||Kishiwada shōnen gurentai: Bōkyō||Film|
|1999||Man, A Natural Girl||天然少女萬||Tennen shōjo Man||TV|
|Ley Lines||日本黒社会||Nihon kuroshakai||Film|
|Silver||シルバー SILVER||Silver: shirubā||Video|
|Dead or Alive||DEAD OR ALIVE 犯罪者||Dead or Alive: Hanzaisha||Film|
White Collar Worker Kintaro
|Man, Next Natural Girl: 100 Nights in Yokohama
N-Girls vs Vampire
|天然少女萬NEXT 横浜百夜篇||Tennen shōjo Man next: Yokohama hyaku-ya hen||TV|
|2000||The Making of 'Gemini'||(unknown)||Tsukamoto Shin'ya ga Ranpo suru||TV documentary|
|MPD Psycho||多重人格探偵サイコ||Tajū jinkaku tantei saiko: Amamiya Kazuhiko no kikan||TV miniseries|
|The City of Lost Souls
The City of Strangers
The Hazard City
|漂流街 THE HAZARD CITY||Hyōryū-gai||Film|
|The Guys from Paradise||天国から来た男たち||Tengoku kara kita otoko-tachi||Film|
|Dead or Alive 2: Birds
Dead or Alive 2: Runaway
|DEAD OR ALIVE 2 逃亡者||Dead or Alive 2: Tōbōsha||Film|
|Family 2||FAMILY 2||n/a||Video|
|Visitor Q||ビジターQ||Bijitā Q||Video|
|Ichi the Killer||殺し屋1||Koroshiya 1||Film|
|The Happiness of the Katakuris||カタクリ家の幸福||Katakuri-ke no kōfuku||Film|
|2002||Dead or Alive: Final||DEAD OR ALIVE FINAL||n/a||Film|
|Kumamoto Stories||熊本物語||Kumamoto Monogatari||Anthology film|
|Graveyard of Honor||新・仁義の墓場||Shin jingi no hakaba||Film|
|Shangri-La||金融破滅ニッポン 桃源郷の人々||Kin'yū hametsu Nippon: Tōgenkyō no hito-bito||Film|
|Deadly Outlaw: Rekka
|実録・安藤昇侠道（アウトロー）伝 烈火||Jitsuroku Andō Noboru kyōdō-den: Rekka||Film|
|(Pāto-taimu tantei)||パートタイム探偵||Pāto-taimu tantei||TV movie|
|2003||The Man in White||許されざる者||Yurusarezaru mono||Film|
|Gozu||極道恐怖大劇場 牛頭 GOZU||Gokudō kyōfu dai-gekijō: Gozu||Film|
|Yakuza Demon||鬼哭 kikoku||Kikoku||Video|
|One Missed Call
You've Got a Call
|(Pāto-taimu tantei 2)||パートタイム探偵2||Pāto-taimu tantei 2||TV movie|
|Box segment in Three... Extremes||BOX（『美しい夜、残酷な朝』）||Saam gaang yi||Segment in feature film|
|2005||Ultraman Max||ウルトラマンマックス||Urutoraman Makkusu||Episodes 15 and 16 of the tokusatsu TV series|
|The Great Yokai War||妖怪大戦争||Yokai Daisenso||Film|
|2006||Big Bang Love, Juvenile A
4.6 Billion Years of Love
|46億年の恋||46-okunen no koi||Film|
|"Imprint"||インプリント ～ぼっけえ、きょうてえ～||Inpurinto ~bokke kyote~||TV episode|
Part of the Masters of Horror anthology series
|Waru: kanketsu-hen||Waru: kanketsu-hen||Video|
|Sun Scarred||太陽の傷||Taiyo no kizu||Film|
|2007||Sukiyaki Western Django||スキヤキ・ウエスタン ジャンゴ||Sukiyaki wesutān jango||Film|
|Crows Zero||クローズZERO||Kurōzu Zero||Film|
|Like a Dragon||龍が如く 劇場版||Ryu ga Gotoku Gekijōban||Film|
|Detective Story||探偵物語||Tantei monogatari||Film|
|2008||God's Puzzle||神様のパズル||Kamisama no pazuru||Film|
|K-tai Investigator 7||ケータイ捜査官7||Keitai Sōsakan 7||TV (1 episode)|
|Crows Zero 2||クローズZERO 2||Kurōzu Zero 2||Film|
|2010||Zebraman 2: Attack on Zebra City||ゼブラーマン -ゼブラシティの逆襲||Zeburāman -Zebura Shiti no Gyakushū-||Film|
|13 Assassins||十三人の刺客||Jûsan-nin no shikaku||Film|
|2011||Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai||一命||Ichimei||Film|
|Ninja Kids!!!||忍たま乱太郎||Nintama Rantarō||Film|
|2012||Ace Attorney||逆転裁判||Gyakuten Saiban||Film|
|For Love's Sake||愛と誠||Ai to makoto||Film|
|Lesson of the Evil||悪の教典||Aku no Kyōten||Film|
|2013||Shield of Straw||藁の楯||Wara no Tate||Film|
|The Mole Song: Undercover Agent Reiji||土竜の唄 潜入捜査官 REIJI||Mogura no uta – sennyu sosakan: Reiji||Film|
|2014||Over Your Dead Body||喰女-クイメ-||Kuime||Film|
|As the Gods Will||神さまの言うとおり||Kamisama no iu tōri||Film|
|2015||The Lion Standing in the Wind||風に立つライオン||Kaze ni Tatsu Lion||Film|
|Yakuza Apocalypse||極道大戦争||Gokudō Daisensō||Film|
|2016||Terra Formars||テラフォーマーズ||Tera Fōmāzu||Film|
|The Mole Song: Hong Kong Capriccio||土竜の唄 香港狂騒曲||Mogura no uta: Hong Kong kyōsō-kyoku||Film|
|2017||Idol × Warrior Miracle Tunes!||アイドル×戦士 ミラクルちゅーんず！||Aidoru × Senshi Mirakuru Chūnzu!||TV series (general director)|
|Blade of the Immortal||無限の住人||Mugen no Jūnin||Film|
|JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable Chapter I||ジョジョの奇妙の冒険 ダイヤモンドは砕けない 第一章||JoJo no Kimyō na Bōken: Daiyamondo wa Kudakenai: Daiisshō||Film|
|2018||Magical × Heroine Magimajo Pures!||魔法×戦士 マジマジョピュアーズ！||Mahō × Senshi Majimajo Pyuazu!||TV series (general director)|
|Laplace's Witch||ラプラスの魔女||Rapurasu no Majo||Film|
|2019||Secret × Heroine Phantomirage!||ひみつ×戦士 ファントミラージュ!||Himitsu × Senshi Fantomiraaju!||TV series (general director)|
|2020||Secret × Heroine Phantomirage! ~We've Become a Movie~||ひみつ×戦士 ファントミラージュ! 〜映画になってちょーだいします〜||Himitsu x Senshi Fantomiraaju ~Eiga ni Natte Chodai Shimasu~||Film|
|Police × Heroine Lovepatrina!||ポリス×戦士 ラブパトリーナ!||Porisu × Senshi Rabupatorina!||TV series (general director)|
|2021||Police × Heroine Lovepatrina! ~Challenge from a Phantom Thief! Let's Arrest with Love and a Pat!~||ポリス×戦士 ラブパトリーナ！～怪盗からの挑戦！ ラブでパパッとタイホせよ！～||Porisu x Senshi Rabupatorina! ~Kaitou kara no Chousen! Rabu de Papatto Taihoseyo!~||Film|
|The Great Yokai War: Guardians||妖怪大戦争 ガーディアンズ||Yōkai Daisensō Gādianzu||Film|
|The Mole Song: Final||土竜の唄 FINAL||Mogura no Uta Fainaru||Film|
- Young Thugs: Innocent Blood (1997), as man in red trousers getting beaten up by Riichi
- Agitator (2001), as Shinozaki
- Graveyard of Honor (2001), as Restaurant gunman
- Ichi the Killer: Episode 0 (2002), Kakihara (voice)
- Last Life in the Universe (2003), as Yakuza
- Neighbour No. 13 (2005), as Kaneda
- Hostel (2006), as Miike Takashi
- Dōbutsu no Mori (2006), as Rokusuke/Pascal (voice)
- Tenchijin (2009), as Hyogo Kariyasu
- No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (2010), as himself, a friend of Bishop (voice)
- Mes, Tom. Agitator: The Cinema of Takashi Miike. Godalming: FAB Press, 2003. ISBN 1-903254-21-3. p. 15.
- Mes, pp. 16-18.
- Mes, Tom. Agitator: The Cinema of Takashi Miike. Godalming: FAB Press, 2003. ISBN 1-903254-21-3. p. 57.
- Wong, Aliza S. (December 15, 2018). Spaghetti Westerns: A Viewer's Guide. Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN 9781442269040 – via Google Books.
- "Festival de Cannes: Official Selection". Cannes. Retrieved 2011-04-15.
- "2013 Official Selection". Cannes. 18 April 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- Interview Footage included in special features on American Region 1 DVD of Gozu
- Hoad, Phil (May 5, 2011). "Takashi Miike: Why I am bringing Japanese classics back to life". The Guardian. London.
- "『私と東映』 ｘ 三池 崇史監督 （第１回 ／ 全２回）". Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- "Takashi Miike director of Gozu by Anderswolleck - SuicideGirls". Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-02-15. Retrieved 2011-09-04.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Ichi the Killer (18)". British Board of Film Classification. November 12, 2002. Archived from the original on 20 July 2019. Retrieved July 20, 2019.
- "Ichi the Killer (Comparison)". www.movie-censorship.com. Retrieved July 20, 2019.
- "Filmart Flashback: In 2001, Takashi Miike Brought Ultra Violence to the Mainstream with 'Ichi the Killer' | Hollywood Reporter". www.hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 2020-12-29.
- Kehr, Dave (January 19, 2006). "Horror Film Made for Showtime Will Not Be Shown". The New York Times. Retrieved May 24, 2010.
- "Masters of Horror". bravo.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2008-05-17.
- "Masters of Horror: Imprint". Amazon. September 26, 2006.
- "ULTRAMAN MAX Official Episode Guide". 3 June 2007. Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- "生田斗真主演『土竜の唄 FINAL』11月公開！ 舞台は超豪華客船". Cinema Cafe. Retrieved June 28, 2021.
- "Demon Pond (2005)". Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- Brown, Todd (27 December 2007). "Miike Stage Production DEMON POND Coming To DVD!". Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- Mes, Tom. Agitator: The Cinema of Takashi Miike. Godalming: FAB Press, 2003. ISBN 1-903254-21-3
- Williams, Tony. "Takashi Miike's Cinema of Outrage." cineACTION 64 (2004): 54-62
- "Izo: Takashi Miike's History Lesson." Asian Cinema 16.2 (2005): 85-109.
- Gerow, Aaron. "The Homelessness of Style and the Problems of Studying Miike Takashi." Canadian Journal of Film Studies 18.1 (2009): 24-43
- Black, Art (2003). "Takashi Miike Revisited". Asian Cult Cinema. 38 (1st Quarter): 12–17.
- Takashi Miike at IMDb
- Suicide is for the Birds: Takashi Miike's Tales of De-territorializing Flight at Fantasia 2003 and Beyond
- 2002 Interview at the Brussels International Festival of Fantastic Film
- SuicideGirls interview with Miike by Daniel Robert Epstein
- Takashi Miike at the Japanese Movie Database (in Japanese)
- Interview with Takashi Miike by Mark Schilling
- Interview with Takashi Miike on Midnight Eye
- Interview with Miike regarding his Yakuza work on 1UP.com
- Another Decade with Takashi Miike: An Introduction
- PULP : : The Manga Magazine : : 6.01 What's No. 5?
- PULP : : The Manga Magazine : : 5.07 Feature
- PULP : : The Manga Magazine : : 5.07 Feature
- PULP : : The Manga Magazine : : THE WOUNDED MAN INTERVIEW