Swimming at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Men's 400 metre freestyle
|Men's 400 metre freestyle|
at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
|Venue||Olympic Aquatics Stadium|
|Dates||6 August 2016 (heats & final)|
|Competitors||50 from 39 nations|
China's Sun Yang fell short of his attempt to a back-to-back gold in one of the program's long-distance freestyle races due to an upset performance from Australia's Mack Horton. Heading into the final lap with a narrow 0.14-second lead, Horton managed to hold off the fast-charging Sun towards the finish for his first individual gold medal in 3:41.55. Unable to catch his Aussie rival near the wall by 13-hundredths of a second, Sun settled for the silver in 3:41.68. Meanwhile, Gabriele Detti picked up the bronze with a time of 3:43.49 to become Italy's first male Olympic medalist in swimming since 2000.
Conor Dwyer (3:44.01), the fastest swimmer headed into the final, and fellow American Connor Jaeger (3:44.16) finished off the podium in fourth and fifth respectively, separated by a 0.15-second margin. Great Britain's James Guy led the pack towards the halfway mark under a world record pace, but faded to sixth in 3:44.68. Horton's teammate David McKeon (3:45.28) and France's Jordan Pothain (3:49.07) rounded out the field.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Paul Biedermann (GER)||3:40.07||Rome, Italy||26 July 2009|
|Olympic record||Sun Yang (CHN)||3:40.14||London, Great Britain||28 July 2012|
The heats began at 1:48 pm.
ƒ False start, but allowed to continue at referee's discretion.
The final began at 10:30 pm.
|4||4||Conor Dwyer||United States||3:44.01|
|5||1||Connor Jaeger||United States||3:44.16|
|6||7||James Guy||Great Britain||3:44.68|
- "Men's 400m Freestyle". Rio 2016. Archived from the original on 6 August 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Pentony, Luke (7 August 2016). "Rio 2016: Mack Horton wins Australia's first swimming medal, winning 400-metres freestyle". ABC News Australia. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Mack Horton Edges Sun Yang for 400 Freestyle Gold in Rio". Swimming World Magazine. 6 August 2016. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- Johnson, Raphielle (6 August 2016). "Australia's Horton hangs on for 400 meter freestyle gold". NBC Olympics. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Conor Dwyer Leads Tight 400 Free Field Into Finals At 2016 Rio Olympic Games". Swimming World Magazine. 6 August 2016. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- Cowley, Michael (27 July 2009). "Thorpe's mark tumbles in night of world records". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "Olympic swimming: China's Sun Yang beats rival Park to gold". BBC Sport. 28 July 2012. Archived from the original on 31 July 2012. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "Results of the men's 400 metre freestyle heats at the 2016 Summer Olympics" (PDF). Rio 2016. 6 August 2016. Archived from the original (pdf) on 7 August 2016. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- Lutton, Phil (7 August 2016). "Teary Miguel Duran Navia gets second Rio chance after false start at Olympics". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- "Results of the men's 400 metre freestyle final at the 2016 Summer Olympics" (PDF). Rio 2016. 6 August 2016. Archived from the original (pdf) on 7 August 2016. Retrieved 7 August 2016.