Cyprus at the 2016 Summer Olympics
|Cyprus at the|
2016 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Cyprus Olympic Committee|
|in Rio de Janeiro|
|Competitors||16 in 7 sports|
|Flag bearer||Pavlos Kontides|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
Cyprus Olympic Committee sent a team of 16 athletes, 10 men and 6 women, to compete in seven different sports at the Games. The nation's full roster in Rio de Janeiro was slightly larger by three athletes than those sent to London 2012. Among the sporting events represented by the nation's athletes, Cyprus made its Olympic debut in artistic gymnastics and women's road cycling.
The Cypriot delegation featured six returning Olympians, with only four of them having participated in more than two editions of the Olympic Games, including high jumper Kyriakos Ioannou, sprinter Eleni Artymata, 33-year-old windsurfer Andreas Cariolou (the oldest and most experienced competitor of the team), and Laser sailor Pavlos Kontides, who won a silver medal in London four years earlier. The nation's first ever Olympic medalist, and one of the potential frontrunners for gold in the Laser class at his third Games, Kontides was selected to lead the Cypriot team as the flag bearer in the opening ceremony.
Unlike the previous Olympics, Cyprus failed to earn a single medal in Rio de Janeiro. Kontides, Ioannou, and Serbian-born hurdler Milan Trajkovic came close to adding another medal for Cyprus at these Games, but finished seventh in the finals of their respective sporting events.
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
- NM = No mark
- Track & road events
|Milan Trajkovic||Men's 110 m hurdles||13.59||3 Q||N/A||13.31||2 Q||13.41||7|
|Eleni Artymata||Women's 200 m||23.27||5||N/A||Did not advance|
|Ramona Papaioannou||Women's 100 m||Bye||11.61||6||Did not advance|
|Women's 200 m||23.10 PB||4||N/A||Did not advance|
- Field events
|Dimitrios Chondrokoukis||Men's high jump||2.26||=12 q||2.25||12|
|Kyriakos Ioannou||2.26||=12 q||2.29||=7|
|Apostolos Parellis||Men's discus throw||63.35||8 q||63.72||8|
|Leontia Kallenou||Women's high jump||1.80 SB||=32||Did not advance|
Cyprus has qualified one rider in the women's Olympic road race by virtue of her top 100 individual placement in the 2016 UCI World Rankings.
|Antri Christoforou||Women's road race||OTL|
Cyprus has entered one artistic gymnast for the first time into the Olympic competition. Marios Georgiou had claimed his Olympic spot in the men's apparatus and all-around events at the Olympic Test Event in Rio de Janeiro.
|Marios Georgiou||All-around||13.566||14.066||13.366||14.733||14.858||14.700||85.289||26 Q||0.000||0.000||0.000||12.833||12.466||9.433||34.732||23|
|Athlete||Event||Race||Net points||Final rank|
|Andreas Cariolou||Men's RS:X||12||12||16||23||10||6||18||23||22||19||20||EL||181||19|
|Pavlos Kontides||Men's Laser||7||1||14||25||6||8||14||9||8||N/A||12||104||7|
M = Medal race; EL = Eliminated – did not advance into the medal race
Cyprus has qualified one shooter each in the men's and women's skeet by virtue of their best finishes at the 2015 ISSF World Cup series, and the World Shotgun Championships, as long as they obtained a minimum qualifying score (MQS) by 31 March 2016.
|Andreas Chasikos||Men's skeet||118||16||Did not advance|
|Andri Eleftheriou||Women's skeet||64||15||Did not advance|
Qualification Legend: Q = Qualify for the next round; q = Qualify for the bronze medal (shotgun)
|Iacovos Hadjiconstantinou||Men's 400 m freestyle||4:03.53||47||N/A||Did not advance|
|Sotiria Neofytou||Women's 100 m butterfly||1:02.91||37||Did not advance|
Cyprus has qualified one male weightlifter for the Olympics by virtue of his top 15 individual finish, among those who had not secured any quota places through the World or European Championships, in the IWF World Rankings as of 20 June 2016. The place was awarded to Greek-born Antonis Martasidis in the men's middleweight division (85 kg).
On 25 July 2016, Martasidis was ejected from the Games, after testing positive for the banned substance.
|Athlete||Event||Snatch||Clean & Jerk||Total||Rank|
|Antonis Martasidis||Men's −85 kg||Disqualified due to doping|
- Η κυπριακή αποστολή στο Ρίο και ημερομηνίες των αγωνισμάτων [Presentation of the Cypriot delegation and the schedule of events] (in Greek). Reporter.com.cy. 19 July 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Cyprus sending strong team of 16 athletes to Rio Olympics". Cyprus Mail. 1 August 2016. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- Οι 16 αθλητές της Κύπρου στους Ολυμπιακούς του Ρίο και οι στόχοι τους [The 16 Cypriot athletes and the schedule at the Rio Olympics] (in Greek). iKypros.com. 1 August 2016. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Rio 2016, more flag bearers for sailing than Beijing and London combined". International Sailing Federation. 5 August 2016. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- Hadjiloizis, Mario (17 August 2016). "Rio 2016: Anastasiades thanks "amazing" Cyprus Olympians". Sigma TV. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "iaaf.org – Top Lists". IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "IAAF Games of the XXX Olympiad – Rio 2016 Entry Standards" (PDF). IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "UCI announce women's road cycling quotas for Rio Olympics". Cyclingnews.com. 1 June 2016. Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- "Rio 2016 Olympic qualifiers in Men's Artistic Gymnastics: See the updated list!". FIG. 16 April 2016. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Rio 2016 Olympic Laser Spots Snapped Up At Santander 2014 ISAF Worlds". ISAF. Archived from the original on 14 September 2014. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "Quota Places by Nation and Number". www.issf-sports.org/. ISSF. 30 May 2016. Retrieved 30 May 2016.
- "Swimming World Rankings". FINA. Archived from the original on 6 January 2011. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- "Rio 2016 – FINA Swimming Qualification System" (PDF). Rio 2016. FINA. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 February 2015. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- Στους Ολυμπιακούς του Ρίο οι αθλητές κολύμβησης Χατζηκωνσταντίνου και Νεοφύτου [Hadjiconstantinou and Neofytou will swim at the Rio Olympics] (in Greek). Typos.com.cy. 11 July 2016. Archived from the original on 12 July 2016. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- "Cypriot weightlifter and Greek expelled from Olympics after drugs tests". The Guardian. 26 July 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cyprus at the 2016 Summer Olympics.|