Suzy Nakamura (born December 2, 1968) is an American actress and improv comedian. She is known for her many guest appearances on sitcoms such as According to Jim, Half and Half, 8 Simple Rules, Curb Your Enthusiasm and How I Met Your Mother and her recurring role in the early seasons of the drama The West Wing as assistant to the Sam Seaborn character, as well as Dr. Miura in the ABC sitcom Modern Family. She had leading roles in the television shows Dr. Ken and Avenue 5.
|Born||December 2, 1968|
Nakamura was born and raised in Chicago, IL to parents of Japanese descent. She attended Lane Technical College Prep High School. After graduation, she joined the Asian-American theatre company, MinaSama-No.
Nakamura studied theater at Columbia College Chicago from 1987 to 1989. She would attend every other semester as she had to finance her education herself. In 1991, Nakamura was the first Asian American woman to join The Second City improvisational comedy troupe. She remained a part of the troupe for five years.
Nakamura got her first film role as a troubled teen in Rea Tajiri's Chicago-based film, Strawberry Fields (1997). It was an official selection at the 54th Venice International Film Festival.
On May 7, 2015, ABC picked up Ken Jeong's Dr. Ken starring Jeong as a fictional version of himself and Nakamura as his wife for its 2015-16 Fall Season. Jeong had previously gotten Nakamura a role in Judd Apatow's Funny People, but the scene was ultimately cut.
In August 2018, it was announced that Nakamura had joined HBO's television comedy Avenue 5 as Iris Kimura, the assistant to Josh Gad's billionaire character, Herman Judd. The series premiered on January 19, 2020.
|1997||Strawberry Fields||Irene Kawai|
|1998||Deep Impact||Jenny's Assistant|
|2002||Stark Raving Mad||Betty Shin||Credited as Suzi Nakamura|
|2003||Malibu's Most Wanted||Soon-Yee Baxter Hernandez|
|2004||Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story||Gordon's Wife|
|2005||Must Love Dogs||Mai|
|2005||The 40-Year-Old Virgin||Speed Dater (uncredited)|
|2006||For Your Consideration||First AC|
|2008||Spy School||Ms. Bleckner|
|2014||Horrible Bosses 2||Kim|
|1996||Common Law||Suzy Yamamoto||2 episodes|
|1997||The Player||Robbie Lawless||Unsold pilot|
|1998||The Closer||Beverly Andolini||10 episodes|
|1999–2000||The West Wing||Cathy||9 episodes|
|2000||Daddio||Holly Martin||14 episodes|
|2002||Imagine That||Rina Oh||6 episodes|
|2002||I Got You||Unsold pilot|
|2002||Curb Your Enthusiasm||Assistant Manager||5 episodes|
|2002–2006||Half & Half||Tina||10 episodes|
|2003||Abby||Carol||Episode: "Ted & Carol & Will & Abby"|
|2003||All of Us||Teacher #1|
|2004||Good Morning, Miami||Carol|
|2004||The King of Queens||Molly||Episode: "Name Dropper"|
|2004–2005||8 Simple Rules||Mrs. Krupp|
|2005||Confessions of a Dog||Unsold pilot|
|2005||According to Jim||Yoki Hirasaki||Episode: "The Competition"|
|2006||Worst Week of My Life||Megan||Unsold pilot|
|2006–2007||The Minor Accomplishments of Jackie Woodman||Carol Rinaldi||4 episodes|
|2006–2007||Help Me Help You||Inger||12 episodes|
|2008||Grey's Anatomy||Jenn Smith||Episode: "Here Comes the Flood"|
|2008||My Name is Earl||Phyllis Woohoo||Episode: "Joy in a Bubble"|
|2008||True Jackson, VP||Cricket||Episode: "Pilot"|
|2009||It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia||Tabitha||Episode: "The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention"|
|2009–2010||10 Things I Hate About You||Principal Holland||6 episodes|
|2009–2010||Modern Family||Dr. Miura||Episodes: "Run for Your Wife", "Fears"|
|2009||Private Practice||Margaret Delhom||Episode: "Sins of the Father"|
|2010–2011||Men of a Certain Age||Elissa||3 episodes|
|2010||Bones||Carrie Turner||Episode: "The Death of the Queen Bee"|
|2010||Castle||Jennifer Wong||Episode: "Food to Die For"|
|2011||How I Met Your Mother||Dr. Kirby||Episode: "A Change of Heart"|
|2012–2013||Go On||Yolanda||22 episodes|
|2013||Melissa & Joey||Elyse||Episode: "Something Happened"|
|2014||Liv and Maddie||Tammy||Episode: "Switch-a-Rooney"|
|2014||Bad Teacher||Mrs. Hu||Episode: "A Little Respect"|
|2014–2018||The Goldbergs||Mrs. Kim||4 episodes|
|2015||Togetherness||Xan||Episode: "Kick the Can"|
|2015||Bob's Burgers||Yuki||Episode: "Hawk & Chick"|
|2015-2019||Veep||Anna||Episodes: "Mommy Meyer"|
"Discovery Weekend" & "Veep"
|2015||Whole Day Down||Saint Anne||6 episodes|
|2015–2017||Dr. Ken||Allison Park||44 episodes|
|2017||How to Beat Your Sister-in-Law (at everything)||Suzy||2 episodes|
|2017||9JKL||Casting Director||Episode: "TV MD"|
|2018||Black-ish||Dr. Ima||3 episodes|
|2018||Station 19||Susan||Episode: "Every Second Counts"|
|2018||Elementary||Dr. Bridget Tanaka||Episode: "Through the Fog"|
|2018||All About the Washingtons||Mrs. Chadwick||Episode: "Papa Said Log You Out"|
|2019||Dead to Me||Karen||Recurring role|
|2019||Harley Quinn||Realtor (voice)||Episode: "Being Harley Quinn"|
|2020||Avenue 5||Iris Kimura||Main Cast|
- An Infinite Ache
- The Showatorium
- Shogun's Heroes
- Coed Prison Sluts - The Musical
- The Armando Diaz Experience
- The Deconstruction Derby
- The Zodiac Thrillers
- The Dickie Bell Twist Dance Party
- Pen to Paper
- The Second City Alumni Jam
- The Powerhouse Variety Show
- The Redwood Curtain
- Power to the People Mover
- National Touring Company (The Second City - Chicago)
- "Today in entertainment history: Dec. 2", NewsRadio WINA, December 2, 2013
- "Today in Entertainment History". AP NEWS. Retrieved 2020-02-27.
- Wood, Ximon. "East West Players' 52nd Anniversary Visionary Awards Dinner and Silent Auction". East West Players. Retrieved 2020-01-19.
- Zwecker, Bill (2017-03-22). "Chicago stage skills pay off for Suzy Nakamura on 'Dr. Ken'". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2020-01-20.
- Columbia College Chicago, "Columbia Chronicle (05/6/1991)" (May 6, 1991). Columbia Chronicle, College Publications, College Archives & Special Collections, Columbia College Chicago. http://digitalcommons.colum.edu/cadc_chronicle/120
- Press, Lynn Elber The Associated. "For Suzy Nakamura, 'Dr. Ken' means diversity". Winston-Salem Journal. Retrieved 2020-01-20.
- "Interview: Dr. Ken's Suzy Nakamura Talks Performing Comedy While Asian and Female". www.themarysue.com. Retrieved 2020-01-20.
- "Suzy Nakamura Keeps Auditions About the Words". www.backstage.com. 2016-09-15. Retrieved 2020-01-20.
- "Life with 'Dr. Ken' Suzy Nakamura discusses her new ABC sitcom » Nichi Bei". www.nichibei.org. Retrieved 2020-01-20.
- Seham, Amy E. (2001). Whose Improv Is it Anyway? Beyond Second City. Univ. Press of Mississippi. p. 229. ISBN 9781604737592.
- "'Strawberry Fields' Rooted in Painful Past". Los Angeles Times. 1999-06-04. Retrieved 2020-01-20.
- "REA TAJIRI". 25th Anniversary Asian Arts Initiative. Retrieved 2020-01-20.
- "For Suzy Nakamura, 'Dr. Ken' has not just diverse actors, but diverse stories". Omaha.com. Retrieved 2020-01-20.
- Petski, Denise; Petski, Denise (2018-08-24). "Suzy Nakamura Joins Hugh Laurie In Armando Iannucci's HBO Comedy Pilot 'Avenue 5'". Deadline. Retrieved 2020-01-19.
- "Avenue 5's Josh Gad and Suzy Nakamura on stupidity and success". TV Club. Retrieved 2020-01-19.
- "Curb Your Enthusiasm returns and Avenue 5 takes flight". TV Club. Retrieved 2020-01-19.
- Rorke, Robert (September 25, 2016). "Suzy Nakamura grins and bears it as second banana to 'Dr. Ken'". nypost.com. NY Post. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- Ko, Nalea (2012-12-13). "FUNNY LADY SUZY NAKAMURA TALKS COMEDY THERAPY" (PDF). Pacific Citizen. Retrieved 2020-03-15.