Bad Teacher (TV series)
Bad Teacher is an American single-camera sitcom television series created by Hilary Winston, loosely based on the 2011 film of the same title. The series aired on CBS from April 24 to July 26, 2014, as part of the 2013–14 American television season.
|Developed by||Hilary Winston|
David Alan Grier
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Hilary Winston|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Gifted and Talented Camp Productions|
Mosaic Media Group
CBS Television Studios
Sony Pictures Television
|Distributor||Sony Pictures Television|
CBS Television Distribution
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||April 24 –|
July 26, 2014
On May 27, 2014, CBS, which had already canceled the show after three episodes, removed it from the schedule. However, the remaining episodes later aired as part of a summer burn off in July 2014.
Meredith Davis is divorced from her rich husband, who leaves her with nothing due to a prenuptial agreement that she clearly did not read. She moves in with her friend's family, whose stepdaughter Lily inspires her to come up with a plan – become hired as a teacher at Lily's school, Richard Nixon Middle School, meet and marry a rich single father, and return to the extravagant lifestyle to which she was accustomed. Using a fake résumé and her feminine charm, she gets Principal Carl Gaines to hire her. The faculty includes Joel, a former high school classmate who is now a gym teacher; Irene, a shy fellow teacher who becomes excited to have a new friend; and Ginny, faculty president who resents Meredith and is suspicious of her. Although an incompetent teacher, Meredith imparts life lessons to Lily and her friends.
- Ari Graynor as Meredith Davis:
A former housewife determined to marry a rich divorcé so that she can resume her upper-class lifestyle. She poses as a middle school teacher in order to meet the single fathers of her students
- Sara Gilbert as Irene:
A socially awkward teacher at Richard Nixon Middle who is eager to become friends with Meredith
- Ryan Hansen as Joel Kotsky:
The school's gym teacher who knows Meredith from high school and is attracted to her, despite her obviously questionable motives
- Sara Rodier as Lily:
The stepdaughter of one of Meredith's friends and an unpopular student at the school
- Kristin Davis as Ginny Taylor-Clapp:
A self-serious and overzealous teacher who is immediately suspicious of Meredith
- David Alan Grier as Carl Gaines:
The recently divorced principal of Richard Nixon Middle who takes an instant liking to Meredith
- Caitlin Kimball as Kim Superfine:
A student teacher who works with Ginny
Production and developmentEdit
On February 18, 2013, David Alan Grier was the first to join the cast in the role of Carl. On February 19, Ari Graynor was cast in the lead role of Meredith. On February 21, Ryan Hansen was cast as Joel. On March 6, Sara Gilbert was cast as Irene. On March 13, Kristin Davis was cast as Ginny. Sara Rodier was also cast in the role of Lily, though this casting news received no announcement. On March 19, 2013, Caitlin Kimball joined the cast in a recurring role, portraying Kim.
On May 13, 2013, it was reported that the series would not receive a fall 2013 commitment from CBS. The series was absent entirely from the CBS 2013–14 schedule announced on May 15, 2013, however a series pickup was announced a week later on May 22.
The series premiered at 9:31PM on April 24, 2014. At its 2014–15 upfront presentation on May 10, CBS announced that the series had been canceled after airing only three episodes. After the fifth episode aired on May 22, the planned broadcasts of the sixth and seventh episodes were pulled from the schedule – being replaced with reruns of The Millers that had been previously scheduled to air at 8:31PM.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Prod.|
|1||"Pilot"||Don Scardino||Hilary Winston||April 24, 2014||100||7.80|
|Meredith, a former trophy wife, receives nothing after her divorce due to having signed a prenuptual agreement to that effect. She uses a fake resume to become a teacher at an upscale middle school in hope of meeting the students' wealthy, single fathers and marrying one of them for his money. A faculty member, Ginny, becomes suspicious.|
|2||"Daddy Issues"||Peter Lauer||Tim McAuliffe||May 1, 2014||103||6.47|
|Meredith takes a liking to a wealthy father of one of her students, who will not let her date him.|
|3||"Evaluation Day"||Victor Nelli||Ben Dougan||May 8, 2014||106||5.73|
|Meredith is tasked to help Ginny during teacher-evaluation day. Meanwhile, Meredith is accused of exploiting a friendship.|
|4||"Fieldtrippers"||Bryan Gordon||Billy Finnegan||May 15, 2014||107||5.48|
|After Meredith meets a cute guy, Shawn, in a coffee shop, then learns he drives a Lamborghini and works for a successful tech company, she arranges a class trip to go see him again. Meanwhile, Ginny develops a crush on the handsome school janitor.|
|5||"The 6th Grade Lock-In"||Adam Davidson||Erica Rivinoja||May 22, 2014||104||4.34|
|After having sex in a school closet, Joel professes his feelings to Meredith, who claims they are just colleagues who sleep together at work. However, they are put together as chaperones for the Sixth-Grade Lock-In.|
|6||"Yearbook"||Fred Savage||Matthew Libman & Daniel Libman||July 5, 2014||110||1.52|
|Meredith and Ginny must complete the student yearbook within 24 hours. Ginny's recent break-up slows preparation and Meredith has to mend the broken hearted.|
|7||"Divorced Dudes"||Fred Goss||Hilary Winston||July 5, 2014||101||1.40|
|Meredith looks for her second husband in Carl's support group.|
|8||"Nix the Fat Week"||Eric Appel||Amy Pocha and Seth Cohen||July 12, 2014||109||1.54|
|Meredith asks Irene for help when a famous vegan chef visits during Health Week. Also, Carl prepares for the 50-yard dash.|
|9||"Life Science"||Eyal Gordin||Mat Harawitz||July 12, 2014||102||1.48|
|Meredith tries to fix the student science fair after placing a wager in the teacher's betting pool.|
|10||"Found Money"||Matt Sohn||Jamie Rhonheimer||July 19, 2014||105||1.46|
|After finding money in the school parking lot, Meredith uses it to pay for a ski trip, but she soon discovers it was lost by Ginny and intended for a student trip. Elsewhere, divorced Carl goes bar-hopping.|
|11||"A Little Respect"||Fred Goss||David McHugh and Matthew Flanagan||July 19, 2014||108||1.35|
|Meredith and Carl are at odds when she refuses to apologize for offending the parents of the school's best student. Meanwhile, Joel puts a scratch on Ginny's car.|
|12||"The Bottle"||Linda Mendoza||Jamie Rhonheimer||July 26, 2014||111||1.47|
|Meredith's plans to celebrate her birthday at her favorite party venue fail.|
|13||"What's Old Is New"||Jay Chandrasekhar||Hilary Winston||July 26, 2014||112||1.51|
|The school's standardized tests begin, but Meredith and Carl get distracted when their ex-spouses (Steven Weber, Niecy Nash) arrive.|
The series holds a rating of 51/100 on Metacritic, indicating "mixed or average" reviews, based on the reviews of 22 critics. On another review aggregation website, Rotten Tomatoes, it was given a score of 58% with an average rating of 5.2 out of 10, based on 24 reviews. Ben Travers of Indiewire gave the pilot a D. Mitch Salem of ShowBuzzDaily.com gave the verdict of "Change the Channel". Verne Gay of Newsday also gave the show a D.
|No.||Episode||Original air date||Timeslot (EST)||Viewers
|1||"Pilot"||April 24, 2014||Thursday 9:30 pm||7.80||2.1/6|
|2||"Daddy Issues"||May 1, 2014||6.47||1.4/4|
|3||"Evaluation Day"||May 8, 2014||5.73||1.3/4|
|4||"Fieldtrippers"||May 15, 2014||5.48||1.4/4|
|5||"The 6th Grade Lock-In"||May 22, 2014||4.34||1.1/4|
|6||"Yearbook"||July 5, 2014||Saturday 8:00 pm||1.52||0.3/1|
|7||"Divorced Dudes"||July 5, 2014||Saturday 8:30 pm||1.40||0.3/1|
|8||"Nix the Fat Week"||July 12, 2014||Saturday 8:00 pm||1.54||0.3/1|
|9||"Life Science"||July 12, 2014||Saturday 8:30 pm||1.48||0.3/1|
|10||"Found Money"||July 19, 2014||Saturday 8:00 pm||1.46||0.3/1|
|11||"A Little Respect"||July 19, 2014||Saturday 8:30 pm||1.35||0.3/1|
|12||"The Bottle"||July 26, 2014||Saturday 8:00 pm||1.47||0.3/1|
|13||"What's Old Is New"||July 26, 2014||Saturday 8:30 pm||1.51||0.3/1|
- "Bad Teacher: CBS Drops Cancelled Show". TV Series Finale. May 28, 2014. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
- "CBS Cancels 'The Crazy Ones', 'Friends With Better Lives', 'Bad Teacher', 'Intelligence' & 'Hostages'". Deadline Hollywood. May 10, 2014. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- CBS Pulls Cancelled Comedies 'Friends With Better Lives' & 'Bad Teacher' From Schedule - Deadline.com
- Bibel, Sara (June 24, 2014). "Remaining Episodes of 'Bad Teacher' to Air Saturdays from 8-9PM Starting July 5". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 5, 2012). "Bad Teacher Comedy From Hilary Winston, Gene Stupnitsky & Lee Eisenberg To CBS". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Development Update: Wednesday, January 23". The Futon Critic. January 23, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Development Update: Wednesday, March 13". The Futon Critic. March 13, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Development Update: Monday, February 18". The Futon Critic. February 16, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Development Update: Tuesday, February 19". The Futon Critic. February 19, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Development Update: Thursday, February 21". The Futon Critic. February 21, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 6, 2013). "The Talk's Sara Gilbert To Co-Star In CBS Pilot Bad Teacher". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Development Update: Tuesday, March 19". The Futon Critic. March 19, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Development Update: Monday, May 13". The Futon Critic. May 13, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "CBS Announces 2013-2014 Primetime Schedule". The Futon Critic. May 15, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "CBS Orders Single-Camera Comedy Bad Teacher for 2013-2014 Season". The Futon Critic. May 22, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Mid-Season Premiere Dates Announced for Bad Teacher and Unforgettable". The Futon Critic. February 14, 2014. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 10, 2014). "CBS Cancels 'The Crazy Ones', 'Friends With Better Lives', 'Bad Teacher', 'Intelligence' & 'Hostages'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Listings - bad teacher on cbs | TheFutonCritic.com
- Shows A-Z - millers, the on cbs | TheFutonCritic.com
- Listings - millers, the on cbs | TheFutonCritic.com
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 25, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Big Bang Theory' & 'The Vampire Diaries' Adjusted Up; 'The Millers' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 25, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 2, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Vampire Diaries' & 'The Big Bang Theory' Adjusted Up; 'The Millers' & 'Bad Teacher' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 9, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Grey's Anatomy', 'The Big Bang Theory' & 'Black Box' Adjusted Up; 'The Millers' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 9, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 16, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Big Bang Theory' & 'Grey's Anatomy' Adjusted Up; 'Reign' & 'The Millers' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 23, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Hell's Kitchen' Adjusted Up, No Adjustment for 'Gang Related' or 'Last Comic Standing'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 6, 2014). "TV Ratings Saturday: 'Bet on Your Baby' Dips & 'Bad Teacher' Burnoff Fizzles as 'Dateline' Repeat Tops Night". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 6, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (July 13, 2014). "TV Ratings Saturday: 'Bet On Your Baby' Up,'Bad Teacher' Steady, MLB Baseball Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 20, 2014). "TV Ratings Saturday: 'Bet on Your Baby' Falls for Finale + 'Bad Teacher' Burnoff Flat". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 27, 2014). "TV Ratings Saturday: 'Dateline' & UFC Coverage Top Night + 'Bad Teacher' Series Finale Flat". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- "Critic Reviews for Bad Teacher Season 1". Metacritic. CBS. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Bad Teacher: Season 1 (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- Travers, Ben (April 18, 2014). "TV Review: How Bad Teacher Shows the Generation Gap Between CBS and Stephen Colbert Fans". Indiewire. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- Salem, Mitch (April 24, 2014). "THE SKED Pilot Review: Bad Teacher". ShowBuzzDaily.com. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- Gay, Verne (April 22, 2014). "Bad Teacher review: Series gets a failing grade". Newsday. Retrieved April 24, 2014.