Summer of 84(Redirected from Summer of '84)
Summer of 84 is a 2018 horror film directed by François Simard, Anouk Whissell and Yoann-Karl Whissell and starring Graham Verchere, Judah Lewis, Caleb Emery, Cory Gruter-Andrew, Tiera Skovbye, and Rich Sommer. The film premiered at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival. It is scheduled for limited release in theatres in the US on August 10, 2018 by Gunpowder & Sky.
|Summer of 84|
|Music by||Le Matos|
|Edited by||Austin Andrews|
|Distributed by||Gunpowder & Sky|
- Graham Verchere as Davey Armstrong
- Judah Lewis as Tommy "Eats" Eaton
- Caleb Emery as Dale "Woody" Woodworth
- Cory Gruter-Andrew as Curtis Farraday
- Tiera Skovbye as Nikki Kaszuba
- Rich Sommer as Wayne Mackey
- Jason Gray-Stanford as Randall Armstrong
- Shauna Johannesen as Sheila Armstrong
- J. Alex Brinson as Officer Cole
- Harrison Houde as Bobby
- Mark Brandon as News Anchor
- Susie Castillo as Brenda Woodworth
- William MacDonald as Sheriff Caldwell
Reviews from Sundance were mixed.
JoBlo's Movie Emporium called the ending "an inspired wrap-up" and scored it 8/10 , Bloody Disgusting's Fred Topel said it "hit the sweet spot for me" and expressed a need to "talk about it excessively" , Film Threat said it "lulled you into a false sense of security and banality before slamming you into a brilliantly dark chilling finale. You won’t be disappointed. 8/10". Daily Dead found "even though the story does take a bit too long to get things moving, that's really just me nitpicking at the greatness that is Summer of "84." And Pop Matters' JR Kinnard said it was "a trashy classic that will absolutely rock midnight movie houses. 8/10".
Variety found the film "neither funny nor scary enough to leave a lasting impression" and "more slowly paced than necessary, and those seeking horror content will find the payoff underwhelming after a protracted, mild buildup" and that "the leisurely progress isn't justified by any well-developed subplots, or by much suspense — there’s never a doubt who the perp is, and apart from a couple of false-flag jump scares, little real peril surfaces until quite late." The review noted that it was unclear if the script by Matt Leslie and Stephen J. Smith was intended "to be played for satire, straight suspense, or a mixture of both.". Collider scored it "F" with no positive notes. 
The film won Best Screenplay for Matt Leslie and Stephen J. Smith at Cinepocalypse festival in Chicago
- Harvey, Dennis (25 January 2018). "Sundance Film Review: 'Summer of '84'". Variety. Retrieved 22 February 2018.
- Summer of '84 Sundance Institute
- "Summer of 84 | Gunpowder and Sky". Gunpowder and Sky. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- "2018 Sundance Film Festival: Feature Films Announced". www.sundance.org. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- Hemmert, Kylie (2018-06-29). "A Serial Killer is on the Loose in the Summer of '84 Trailer". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved 2018-07-08.
- McNary, Dave (2017-07-12). "Rich Sommer, Tiera Skovbye to Star in Horror Movie 'Summer of '84' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- Bumbray, Chris (2018-01-24). "Review: Summer of '84 (Sundance)". JoBlo Movie Network. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- Topel, Fred (2018-01-26). "[Sundance Review] 'Summer of '84' Hits Nostalgia Sweet Spot". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- Bench, Anthony Ray (2018-01-27). "Summer of '84". Film Threat. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- Wixon, Heather (2018-01-28). "Sundance 2018 Review: SUMMER OF '84 is a Brutally Fun and Heartbreaking Blast from the Past". Daily Dead. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- Kinnard, JR (2018-01-25). "Sundance 2018: 'Summer of '84' + 'Eighth Grade'". PopMatters. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- Goldberg, Matt (2018-01-23). "Summer of '84: Imagine Stranger Things at its Worst". Collider. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- Miska, Brad (2018-06-29). "The Captain wins "Best Film" at Music Box's Cinepocalypse, Fest Shatters Attendance Record!". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 2018-07-08.