45th Saturn Awards
The 45th Saturn Awards, presented by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films and honoring the best in science fiction, fantasy, horror, and other genres belonging to genre fiction in film, television, home media releases, and local theatre productions from March 1, 2018 to July 7, 2019, were held on September 13, 2019, in Avalon Hollywood. Nominations were announced on July 15, 2019. Aisha Tyler hosted the event.
|45th Saturn Awards|
|Date||September 13, 2019|
|Site||Avalon Hollywood, U.S.|
|Hosted by||Aisha Tyler|
|Most awards||Film: |
Avengers: Endgame (6)
Game of Thrones (4)
Star Trek: Discovery (3)
|Most nominations||Film: |
Avengers: Endgame (14)
Game of Thrones (9)
The Haunting of Hill House (6)
The ceremony marked considerable changes for the Saturn Awards; although the awards had rewarded solely works from the previous year until 2016, when the eligibility was changed to works released from March of the previous year to February of the current year, the eligibility was, for this ceremony, extended to March of the previous year to early July of the current one. It is also the first Saturn Award ceremony not to be held in Burbank, California since 2008, and the second one to air live after the 1978 ceremony (as the show was made available for livestream on different platforms). It also marked major changes for the categories: most notably, series were split into two different sets of categories, television and "streaming", for web television series released on streaming/video on demand services such as Netflix or Hulu (films released on those platforms are also eligible for the acting categories). The number of Best Series awards for streaming (previously limited to Best New Media Television Series and Best New Media Superhero Series) extended; although they had previously shared acting categories with traditional television, streaming series also now get their own. However, certain categories for television are not present for streaming, or have been fused into one, resulting in seven categories compared to twelve for traditional television. In addition, the Breakout Director award, rewarding first-time film directors, was created, and the award for Best Television Presentation, which existed since 1995, was discontinued.
Avengers: Endgame led the nominations for film with fourteen (sharing Black Panther's record as the third/fourth most nominated film in the awards' history from the previous year), followed by Aladdin with nine and Us with eight. Game of Thrones led the nominations for television with nine, followed by Outlander and The Walking Dead with five each. For streaming television, The Haunting of Hill House led with six, followed by Lost in Space and Star Trek: Discovery with five each.
For film, Avengers: Endgame won the most awards with six, including Best Comic-to-Film Motion Picture and Best Actor (Robert Downey Jr.), followed by A Quiet Place and Spider-Man: Far From Home with two each. For television, Game of Thrones led wins with four, followed by The Walking Dead with three, while Star Trek: Discovery became the streaming series with the most wins with three, followed by Stranger Things with two.
Winners and nomineesEdit
Television / Streaming TelevisionEdit
Live Stage ProductionEdit
|Best Local Live Stage Production|
Multiple wins and nominationsEdit
- Ronzoni, Cindy (September 10, 2019). "CONtv Partners with the Saturn Awards to Stream the 45™ Annual Celebration of Horror, Sci-Fi, & Fantasy Live For The First Time Ever". GlobeNewswire. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- Long, Christian (September 13, 2019). "Marvel, Disney Win Big at the 45th Annual Saturn Awards". Syfy Wire. Retrieved September 13, 2019.
- Fowler, Brandi (September 14, 2019). "'Game of Thrones,' 'Avengers' Win Big at 45th Annual Saturn Awards". Variety. Retrieved September 14, 2019.
- Hammond, Pete (July 15, 2019). "'Avengers: Endgame', 'Game Of Thrones' Lead Saturn Award Nominations". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- Mancuso, Vinnie (July 15, 2019). "'Avengers: Endgame', 'Game of Thrones' Lead the 2019 Saturn Awards Nominations". Collider. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- Keyes, Rob (September 10, 2019). "Exclusive: Aisha Tyler Will Host The 45th Annual Saturn Awards". Screen Rant. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (August 22, 2019). "Kevin Feige, Jon Favreau and Jeph Loeb To Be Honored At 45th Annual Saturn Awards". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 22, 2019.