This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sudheer Varma is an Indian film director and writer who works predominantly in Telugu cinema. He made his directorial debut film Swamy Ra Ra (2013). He later directed films such as Dochay (2015), Keshava (2017), and Ranarangam (2019).
Sudheer Varma hails from Bhimavaram. Varma was schooled in Visakhapatnam and completed his intermediate in Kakinada. He grew up in Narasapuram. He is an Electronics and Communication Engineer by profession. He started his career as an assistant director.
Varma is married and has two children.
Sudheer Varma released his debut directorial venture Swamy Ra Ra (2013), starring Nikhil Siddharth and Swathi Reddy. The Hindu stated that "the film will pick-pocket your brain and you'll most probably end up feeling richer, if not a millionaire." It was commercially successful at the box office. The film was remade in Kannada as Jamboo Savari.
Style and influencesEdit
Talking about his style Sudheer shared, "I’m influenced largely by foreign films. I am a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino, Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg, and Martin Scorsese so their work has been very important in my learning. As for my style, whenever I do a film I watch a lot of films from the same genre. If I see anything interesting, I adapt it. The story structure is mine and in place even before I’ve thought of inspiration. After that I might adapt some scenes in my films from others. Still, I do the screenplay to suit our audience. I don’t want the audience to disconnect from the film so I make sure our audience relates to it."
In another interview he said, "According to me, inspiration or copy, both are same. That's why I give credit to the directors from whom I steal the scenes. Keshava too inspired from several films but not any one particular film. So, in the special thanks card, I mentioned each director from whose films I took inspiration for Keshava. This is my way of paying tribute to the scenes that left a great impact on me. My favourite Indian directors are Mani Ratnam, RGV, Rajkumar Santoshi, Rajkumar Hirani and more."
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2013||Swamy Ra Ra||Yes||Yes||No|||
- "Exclusive Interview : Sudheer Varma - Nikhil will shock everyone with Keshava". 123telugu.com. 17 May 2017. Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- "Interview with Sudheer Varma about Keshava by Maya Nelluri - Telugu cinema director". www.idlebrain.com. Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- Chowdhary, Y. Sunita (7 March 2017). "Sudheer Verma: Riding on concepts". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- Bhandaram, Vishnupriya (23 March 2013). "Swamy Ra Ra: Crime and comedy went up the hill". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- "Swamy Raa Raa clicks at the BO". Sify. Archived from the original on 16 April 2015.
- "Inspiration Or Copy, Both Are Same: Sudheer Varma". Gulte.com. Retrieved 14 December 2017.
- "Nikhil Siddhartha: Swamy Ra Ra made me an established actor".
- "Naga Chaitanya's First Look 'Dohchay' Poster Goes Viral".
- "Sudheer varma special set for his next movie".
- Winters, Bryce J. (21 January 2021). "The journey with late Telugu director Praveen Varma for "Super Over" movie cannot be forgotten". TheNewsCrunch. Retrieved 22 January 2021.