Store Mosse ("Big Marsh") is a national park in Småland in southern Sweden, located in the municipalities of Vaggeryd, Gnosjö and Värnamo. In total Store Mosse covers some 100 km2 (39 sq mi); of these, some 77 km2 (30 sq mi) were designated national park in 1983.
|Store Mosse National Park|
|Store Mosse nationalpark|
|Location||Jönköping County, Sweden|
|Area||78.5 km2 (30.3 sq mi)|
|Official name||Store Mosse|
|Designated||5 December 1974|
It has the largest boggy grounds south of Lapland and is an important area for birds and provides unique habitats for other animals and plants. The park has over 40 km (25 mi) of walking trails, three cabins available for overnight stay and a large bird watching tower.
Access to the park is free; guided tours are available all summer. There are also guided snowshoe tours on the bog in the summer.
The area is not to be confused with Store Mosse nature reserve, an area in Blekinge of the same name. The name is shared by another nature reserve in Uddevalla.
Accessing the parkEdit
Store Mosse national park is located along national road 151, between Värnamo and Gnosjö in southern Sweden. It is accessible by car or bus. Two of the trails are suited for persons in wheelchairs; one trail is also adapted for blind visitors.
At the Store Mosse national park there is a visitors' center called Naturum, where information about the history of the national park and its landscape, plants and animals is available. The center also has a bookshop and exhibitions about the park.
- "Store Mosse National Park". Naturvårdsverket. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- "Store Mosse". Ramsar Sites Information Service. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- Lidmar-Bergström, Karna; Bonow, Johan M.; Japsen, Peter (2013). "Stratigraphic Landscape Analysis and geomorphological paradigms: Scandinavia as an example of Phanerozoic uplift and subsidence". Global and Planetary Change. 100: 153–171. doi:10.1016/j.gloplacha.2012.10.015.
- "Store mosse".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Store Mosse National Park.|
- Store Mosse nationalpark Länsstyrelsen i Jönköping County (in Swedish)
- Sweden's National Parks: Store Mosse National Park from the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency