Open main menu

Stegodyphus dumicola, commonly known as African social spider, is a species of spider of the family Eresidae or velvet spider family. It is native to Central and Southern Africa.

African social spider
Colonial Spiders (Stegodyphus dumicola) (6607373097).jpg
Scientific classification edit
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Subphylum: Chelicerata
Class: Arachnida
Order: Araneae
Infraorder: Araneomorphae
Family: Eresidae
Genus: Stegodyphus
Species:
S. dumicola
Binomial name
Stegodyphus dumicola
Pocock, 1898

This spider has been studied living in large colonies or family groups, in unkempt and messy webs. Due to slow female maturing only about 40% of them get to mate. The other 60% have been dubbed "virgin spiders" and they share in childcare duties alongside their sisters. The female feeds instar at the second stage by regurgitation and by providing them with captured prey, where in final instars, mother female devoted her life for the babies to use her body fluids and then dies. The males of this species die shortly after mating.[1]

ReferencesEdit