Sonny Corey Uwaezuoke (born March 5, 1991), professionally known as Sonny Digital, is an American record producer, rapper, and DJ who rose to prominence after producing YC's hit single "Racks" in 2011. He is best known for his production on ILoveMakonnen's "I Dont Sell Molly No More" and "Tuesday" featuring Drake, Future's single "Same Damn Time", 50 Cent's "I'm the Man" and 2 Chainz's "Birthday Song", as well as the XXL Freshman Cyphers for 2016 and 2017.
Sonny Digital (left) with Dami Tha Prince (right) in 2017
|Birth name||Sonny Corey Uwaezuoke|
|Born||March 5, 1991|
Saginaw, Michigan, United States
|Origin||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
Calvin Stovall of BET called Sonny "one of the game's hottest young producers" and stated that he is "leading a renaissance of young beat makers," such as Hit-Boy and Jahlil Beats. The young producer has worked with a lot of major hip-hop artists such as: Future, Gucci Mane, 2 Chainz, Drake, 50 Cent, Rick Ross, 21 Savage, Juicy J, Waka Flocka Flame, Wiz Khalifa, French Montana, Mistah F.A.B., Trae, Ca$h Out, Gorilla Zoe, Roscoe Dash, Wale, Ace Hood, Kirko Bangz, Mac Miller, Travis Porter, Chief Keef, Rae Sremmurd and K Camp .
Sonny was born on March 5, 1991 in Saginaw, Michigan, but was raised in Atlanta. He has been involved in making music since an early age. At first he started rapping while at school, but found it hard to get instrumentals to rap over. When he was 13, he got influenced by his older cousin to start making beats. Aside from school, Sonny didn't have other hobbies like playing sports or video games, so he dedicated a large amount of his free time to creating music. Sonny was inspired by famous producers Shawty Redd and Drumma Boy and initially tried to copy their sound while learning to make beats. Eventually his production transformed into his own style.
When he was 16, he joined a hip-hop group as a producer and was also producing mixtapes for other local artists. By that time, he realized he could take making music seriously and make it into his career. Sonny quietly waited for his big break while building up a name for himself as a talented upcoming producer. That break came a few years later when rapper YC used one of his beats for the single "Racks", which went to become a national hit, peaking at #42 on the Billboard Hot 100 and being certified Gold by RIAA. The song was also featured in the Billboard 2011 Year-end Rap songs and R&B/Hip-hop songs charts. Sonny recalls initially sending the beat for "Racks" to a few well-known rappers, who passed on it. Brendan Klinkenberg from Complex Music wrote the real reason for the song's success was not YC's performance but Sonny's catchy beat. "Racks" helped to boost the careers of Sonny Digital and YC, as well as rapper Future, who was also featured on the track. Sonny and Future became frequent collaborators and have since worked on a number of songs together.
Sonny released his first official mixtape Digital History on May 9, 2011. The tape, hosted by DJ 1Hunnit, is a collection of songs Sonny had produced between 2010 and 2011. It features many upcoming rappers, as well as known artists, such as Plies, Wale, 2 Chainz and Future. It has been viewed over 70,000 times on LiveMixtapes.
Sonny produced 6 songs on Gorilla Zoe's album King Kong released in June. Sonny's second mixtape Behind the Muzik was released on September 8, 2011. It is a collaboration with fellow producer Will A Fool, where each produced half of the songs.
In late 2011, Sonny produced Future's hit single "Same Damn Time", which was initially featured on Future's mixtape Streetz Calling. Following the song's success, in 2012 Future released a new version of "Same Damn Time" as the third official single from his debut album Pluto. It peaked at number 92 on the Billboard Hot 100. A music video for the single was released on April 4, 2012 and has since been viewed nearly 5 million times on YouTube. Sonny Digital also produced the official remix of "Same Damn Time" featuring rappers Diddy and Ludacris, which was released on May 17, 2012. The remix was featured on Future's re-release of Pluto, titled Pluto 3D.
In March 2012, Sonny produced Gorilla Zoe's mixtape Gorilla Zoe World. The tape was certified bronze for being downloaded over 25,000 times on popular mixtape site DatPiff. In early 2012 Sonny also worked on Gucci Mane's mixtapes Trap Back and I'm Up. On June 8, 2012, Sonny Digital released his debut rap single, "Business Man", featuring rapper Que. The song was produced by BWheezy.
Sonny co-produced 2 Chainz' single "Birthday Song", which was released on July 24, 2012. Sonny created the original beat, which was later modified by a number of GOOD Music producers – Kanye West, BWheezy, Anthony Kilhoffer, Lifted and Mike Dean. The single peaked at number 49 on the US Hot 100, and also entered top 10 of the R&B and Rap charts. The official music video was released on August 30, 2012, and became a viral success, gaining over 30 million views on YouTube. Sonny stated he always wanted to work with West and "Birthday Song" is his proudest production to date.
Later in 2012, Sonny produced the track "Don't Get Me Started", which was featured on the deluxe version of DJ Khaled's album Kiss the Ring, as well as on Ace Hood's mixtape Body Bag 2. The official video for the promo single was released on August 17, 2012 on Ace Hood's YouTube channel. Sonny was featured on Jo FloWroshus' single "Attention" from his 900° album. In an interview with BET Sonny stated he was working with artists B.o.B, Ace Hood and Wiz Khalifa, and making a new mixtape with fellow producer Drumma Boy. He also wants to work with a famous pop singer like Justin Bieber.
In March 2013, Sonny released a collaboration mixtape with rapper Que, titled Forbes Atlanta.
Production style and inspirationEdit
Sonny uses the music production software FL Studio along with custom plug-ins to make his beats. He usually produces upbeat club songs which are distinguished by their hard-hitting sound and the use of heavy basslines, 808 kicks and sped up hi-hats. Sonny has recently been producing more trap style beats, as was evident in the 21 Savage mixtape "Free Guwop".
Sonny seeks inspiration in listening to other producers' tracks, music in general and watching movies. He is a fan of producers Shawty Redd and Drumma Boy. His favorite albums are Drake's Take Care, Rick Ross' Teflon Don and Young Jeezy's Thug Motivation 101.
Discography (as lead artist)Edit
- 2016 - G.O.A.T.
- 2011 – Digital History, hosted by DJ 1Hunnit
- 2011 – Behind the Muzik (with Will A Fool), hosted by DJ Iceberg & DJ Pretty Boy Tank
- 2012 – Gorilla Zoe World (with Gorilla Zoe), hosted by Trap-A-Holics, DJ Smallz & DJ Nando
- 2013 – Forbes Atlanta (with Que), hosted by DJ Scream & DJ Spinz
- 2016 - TBA hosted by DJ Drama
- 2016 - MadeInDigital (with MadeinTYO)
- 2017 - Black G.O.A.T (with Black Boe)
- 2012 – Business Man (feat. Que), prod. by BWheezy
- 2018 – I Got (feat. Lil Xan & $teven Cannon), prod. by DJFU
|2016||"Murda Tex Street Empire" (Shawty Blast)||—||99||—||Southern Flow|
|2011||"Racks" (YC feat. Future)||42||8||6||
|2012||"Same Damn Time" (Future)||92||12||16||Pluto|
|"Birthday Song" (2 Chainz feat. Kanye West)||47||10||8||
||Based on a T.R.U. Story|
|"Covered N Money" (Future)||—||—||—||Honest|
|"Say That Shit" (Tory Lanez)||—||—||—||N/A|
|"Tuesday" (ILoveMakonnen feat. Drake)||12||2||—||
|2015||"Alone" (PnB Rock)||—||—||—||RNB 3|
|"Tweaker" (Chief Keef)||—||—||—||BFTD3|
|"BIH" (Chief Keef)||—||—||—|
|2016||"Red Opps" (21 Savage)||74||31||25||Free Guwop|
This section needs to be updated.August 2014)(
- 03 - Crazy (featuring Gucci Mane) (with Jesse "Corporal" Wilson (co))
- 04 - Nasty (featuring Yo Gotti)
- 05 - At All (featuring Ray Dinero)
- 06 - What's Goin On
- 08 - Your Bitch
- 09 - My Shawty
- 08 - WTF (with Lex Luger)
- 01 - Racks (featuring Future)
Juicy J - Rubba Band Business 2
- 04 - You
- 13 - Bought Some Guns Yesterday
- 06 - Very First Time
- 07 - Awesome
Kevin Gates - "Drug Dealer Potential"
- 01 - Drug Dealer Potential
- 06 - Memory Lane (featuring Kevin Cossom)
Wale – The Eleven One Eleven Theory
- 09 - Passive Agrees-Her
Juicy J - Blue Dream & Lean
- 03 - Juicy J Can't
- 08 - Geeked Up On Them Bars
- 17 - You Want Deez Rackz (with Lex Luger)
- 23 - Been Gettin' Money
Future - Streetz Calling
- 02 - Same Damn Time
Yung Joc - Ready To Fly
- 02 - Deuces (Feat. Tity Boi)
2 Chainz - UNKNOWN
- 00 - 10 Summaz Feat. Rick Ross
- 06 - Never Change
Ilovemakkonnen side by side
Jody Breeze - Airplane Mode
- "Hood Shit" (feat. Big Gee)
- "Aliens" (ft. Raven Ramone)
- "Sprint" (feat. Cash Out)
Future – Astronaut Status
- 08 - Jordan Diddy (featuring Gucci Mane)
Gorilla Zoe - Gorilla Zoe World
- All songs
- 02 - Back in 95
SPOT – The Price Iz Right
- 02 - Young N!ggaz Gettin $ (featuring Sonny Digital)
Gucci Mane - I'm Up
- 09 - Drink Mud
Future - Pluto
- 11 - Same Damn Time
Young Lace – Above Average
- 05 - Sold Out (featuring Dubb & Cashout Kidd)
- 06 - Ball (featuring Cashout Kidd & Mann)
- 12 - Money In (featuring Kid Ink)
- 14 - How We Ball (Feat. T.I. & Don)
Juicy J – Blue Dream & Lean (Bonus Tracks)
- 05 - Money Mane (Remix)
- 06 - These Hands
Chevy Woods – Gang Land
- 15 - M'Fer (featuring Wiz Khalifa)
- 18 - Everything I Love (featuring Future & Trouble) (with Southside)
Jackie Chain – Bruce Lean Chronicles
- 04 - Numbers
- 05 - Birthday Song (featuring Kanye West) (with Kanye West (co.), BWheezy (co.), Anthony Kilhoffer (add.), Lifted (add.) and Mike Dean (add.))
- 13 - Don't Get Me Started (featuring Ace Hood)
Ace Hood - Body Bag 2
- 07 - Don't Get Me Started
- 10 - Lottery (featuring Kevin Cossom)
Trae Tha Truth - Tha Blackprint
Diamond – The Young Life
- 03 - Reality Check
- 09 - The Thirst
Rocko – Wordplay
- 01 - Re (with Hollywood J)
Roscoe Dash - Roscoe 2.0
- 10 - No Days Off
Reese – Reese Vs. The World 2
- 06 - Again (featuring Curtis Williams)
- 13 - Greedy Love
Young Lace - Bipolar
- 03 - Papered Up
- 06 - Pick it Up
Future - Pluto 3D
- 03 - First Class Flights
- 07 - My
- 08 - Same Damn Time (Remix) (featuring Diddy & Ludacris)
Frank Whyte - 1728
- 03 - I'm Smashin' (featuring MopTop)
Sonny Digital & Que - Forbes Atlanta
- 01 - Forbes Atlanta Intro
- 02 - Young Nigga
- 03 - DJ Ray G Speaks
- 17 - Never Goin Broke
Beyoncé - TBA
- 00 - Bow Down/I Been On
Chief Keef - Bang Pt. 2
- 00 - Where He Get It (with 808 Mafia & Metro Boomin)
- 04 - Before The Rollie (featuring Meek Mill)
- 10 - Pray For Me (with 808 Mafia & Metro Boomin)
- 03 - "Bang" (featuring Lil Twist, Euro, and Cory Gunz)
Wiz Khalifa - 28 Grams
- 12 - "Jim Brown"
- 17 - "Banger" (featuring Ty Dolla $ign)
- 24 - "OUY"
Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- 17 - "Word On the Town" (produced with Juicy J)
B.o.B - No Genre Pt. 2
- 07 - "Get Right" (featuring Mike Fresh)
- 03 - "Tuesday" (featuring Drake) (produced with Metro Boomin)
- 02 - "I Don't Sell Molly No More (Featuring Wiz Khalifa)
Kourtney Money - The Return Of Money (Zone 6 Edition)
- "Tell 'Em Again" (ft. Young Nudy)
- "Groupies" (produced with Metro Boomin & Southside)
- "Blow a Bag" (produced with Metro Boomin & Southside)
- "Pornography" (produced with Metro Boomin)
- "Ok/Alright" ft. Schoolboy Q" (produced with Metro Boomin & Mike Dean)
- "Never Catch Me" (produced with Allen Ritter & WondaGurl)
Juicy J - 100% Juice
- 03 - ''Beans And Lean''
- 04 - ''Shut Da Fuc Up''
- 06 - ''You Knew''
- 07 - ''Scrape'' (ft. Wiz Khalifa & Project Pat)
- 15 - "Touch Da Sky First" (produced with Metro Boomin, Southside, Lex Luger, and Crazy Mike)
- 03. "Black Ops"
- 17. "Jumanji" (produced with Metro Boomin)
Chief Keef - Back From The Dead 3/Cabinet Fever
- 00. Beethoven (produced with TM88 and Zaytoven)
- 00. Drag Racin
- 00. BIH
- 00. Tweaker
- 00. Stand
- 00. Straight to the Bank
Wiz Khalifa - Cabin Fever 3
- "Prequel" ft. Curren$y
- "No Worries" ft. Chevy Woods
- "Finish Line" ft Project Pat
- "Left" ft. Yo Gotti
- "Move On" ft. Kevin Gates
- "Gangster 101" ft. King Los
50 Cent - The Kanan Tape
- I'm The Man"
Juicy J - OS To Oscar
- "Richer Than Rappers"
Young Buck - 10 Pints
YFN Lucci - Wish Me Well
- "So What" (ft. Johnny Cinco)
Pnb Rock - RNB 3 : Philadelphia
- "Fall N Luv"
- "Band$ on You"
Young Thug - Slime Season
- "Quarterback" (ft. Migos & Peewee Longway)
Jeezy - Gangsta Party
- "Pot Life"
Que - I Am Que
- "Gucci Said"
- "Right Now"
Ty Dolla Sign - Airplane Mode
- "Do Thangs" (produced with Ty Dolla Sign)
Que - Lost Dawg
Key! - Screaming Dreams : The Prelude
- "50 Round Drums" ft. 21 Savage (produced with Metro Boomin and TM88)
- "Raise Hell" (produced with Zaytoven)
- "Hell Yeah"
21 Savage - Free Guwop
- "H20" (produced with Zaytoven)
- "1 Foot"
- "Red Opps"
- "Supply" (produced with Metro Boomin & Southside)
21 Savage - Slaughter King
SD - Just The Beginning
Ace Hood - Starvation 4
- "Store Run"
Zuse - Trap Zuse
- "Percy Miller"
OJ Juiceman - 6 Rings 3
- "Space Jam"
Lil Uzi Vert - The Wraith, The Uzi Vert
- "So Hit"
Jeezy - CITS
- "No Other Way"
Landstrip Chip - Cruising Control
- 02. "On My Cross"
- 08. "Bells" (feat. Droffe)
- "Don't Play" (feat. Young Sizzle and Juicy J)
Machine Gun Kelly - Bloom
Chris Major - Major Forever
- "Racks Off" (featuring Remy Boy Monty)
"Drink Paint" (featuring Tyler I am)
Travis Scott - Astroworld
- Sonny Corey Uwaezuoke Credits AllMusic.com, Rovi Inc.
- Sonny Digital VK.com
- HHW exclusive: behind the beats with Sonny Digital Hip Hop Weekly
- Sonny Digital: Youngest in Charge BET.com
- Behind The Boards: Sonny Digital The Source
- Sonny Digital Discogs.com
- South Side, TM88, & Sonny Digital Studio Session YouTube - 808 Mafia TV
- Sonny Digital Shares Conversations With Kanye West, Working With Wiz Khalifa, DJ Khaled The Boombox
- "YC Album & Song Chart History" Billboard
- "2011 Year End Charts – Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs" Billboard
- "2011 Year End Charts – Rap Songs" Billboard
- YC's 'Racks' Producer Sonny Digital Talks Collabo MTV
- 15 New Producers To Watch Out For > Sonny Digital Complex
- Mixtapes › DJs › DJ 1Hunnit › Sonny Digital - Digital History LiveMixtapes.com
- Mixtapes › DJs › DJ Iceberg, DJ Pretty Boy Tank › Sonny Digital x Will A Fool - Behind The Music LiveMixtapes.com
- Future > Chart History Billboard
- Future Set To Re-Release 'Pluto 3d' With New Songs Vibe
- Gorilla Zoe - Gorilla Zoe World DatPiff.com
- Business Man Album Version Amazon
- Producer @SonnyDigital Releases New Single ‘Business Man’ ThatRetailChick
- Sonny Digital Explains Origins of 2 Chainz and Kanye West's "Birthday Song" XXL Magazine
- 2 Chainz - Based On A T.R.U. Story SweetPotion.com
- 10 Questions: Sonny Digital BMI, Broadcast Music, Inc.
- Producer Sonny Digital Praises Kanye's Helping Hand BET.com
- Inside the World of Sonny Digital Full Blast Magazine
- "Sonny Digital & Que - Forbes Atlanta". LiveMixtapes. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- Smith, Trevor (October 1, 2016). "Sonny Digital releases G.O.A.T." Hotnewhiphop. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- Shawty Blast Album & Song Chart History Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Songs
- Wale The Eleven One Eleven Theory > Tracklist HipHopDX.com
- Juicy J - Blue Dream & Lean LiveMixtapes.com
- Kid Ink – Wheels Up DatPiff
- "Jody Breeze - Airplane Mode". Livemixtapes. 2012-05-24. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- DJ Mustard › Young Lace - Above Average LiveMixtapes.com
- Diamond – The Young Life [Mixtape] Archived 2012-10-28 at the Wayback Machine OnSmash
- B.o.B Fuck Em We Ball DatPiff, retrieved Nov 16, 2012
- "Kourtney Money - The Return Of Money (Zone 6 Edition)". Livemixtapes. 2015-02-20. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- Sonny Digital at Twitter