Mike Dean (record producer)
Michael George Dean (born March 1, 1965) is an American hip hop record producer, audio engineer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist from Angleton, Texas. He is best known for recording and mixing songs and synthesizers for major artists across the American hip hop industry such as Kanye West, 2Pac, Scarface, Travis Scott, 2 Chainz, Jay-Z, Desiigner, Drake, and The Weeknd. He released his second studio album, 4:22, on April 22nd, 2021.
|Birth name||Michael George Dean|
|Also known as|
|Born||March 1, 1965|
Angleton, Texas, U.S.
Mike Dean started doing collaborations with numerous Texan artists, including Selena, for whom Dean served as musical director and producer. He is of Mexican descent. Dean first became widely known for pioneering the Dirty South sound in the 1990s, particularly in work for artists from Rap-A-Lot Records. Dean has most notably worked alongside Scarface of the Geto Boys, Do or Die, Tha Dogg Pound, Yukmouth of the Luniz, C-Bo, Nate Dogg, Tech N9ne, UGK, Z-Ro, Devin the Dude, Outlawz, and 2Pac.
Dean went on to mix, produce, and master widely throughout American hip hop. He has become known for producing work with Kanye West. After initially contributing to the mixing of West's albums The College Dropout and Late Registration, Dean contributed as producer on West's Graduation, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Yeezus, The Life of Pablo, and Ye albums. He also co-produced with West on his collaboration album with Jay-Z, Watch the Throne. Dean was an additional producer on "Mercy" and "Higher" on GOOD Music's 2012 compilation album Cruel Summer. Dean has made particularly heavy contributions on West's last albums, and is credited on most tracks.
In recent years, Mike Dean has served as a regular guitarist and keyboardist for Kanye West and Travis Scott at their live performances, headlining numerous music festivals, the Watch the Throne Tour, the Yeezus Tour and Travis Scott's Birds Eye View tour as well as the Astroworld - Wish You Were Here Tour. Dean has also been a frequent collaborator with Travis Scott. Dean's production has appeared on every one of Scott's musical bodies of work from 2013 to the present. In 2016, Dean mastered Frank Ocean's visual album Endless, wrote and produced tracks on Desiigner's mixtape New English, and produced Desiigner's single "Tiimmy Turner".
In May 2017, Dean announced he was launching a record label by the name of M.W.A. When asked what made him decide that now would be the best time to unveil his new record label, Dean responded: "Just a lot of new young artists that's been asking to get down with me and have me work on their projects and help them get deals. I figured I'd start a label and sign some new acts. Seems like a good time to start it. I got a studio out here [in Los Angeles] and I'm able to meet a lot of new artists." When asked the meaning of M.W.A, Dean answered: "That's just what I call myself when I DJ. Mexican Wrestling Association. It's something that I've done with the merch, so I just figured I'd keep the name going." He also revealed Dice Soho the first artist he signed to M.W.A: "One of my homies Gustavo Guerra brought [Dice Soho] to me. I think he's gonna be the next wave out of Houston. I picked him up. Dice has a nice swag."
He released an instrumental mixtape, 4:20, on April 20, 2020. On May 20, 2021, the Lana Del Rey single "Wildflower Wildfire" was released, which was produced by Dean. In an interview with Anthony Fantano before the song's release, Dean said that he was "planning on working with [Del Rey] a lot".
As featuring artistEdit
1980s Def Squad, Texas
- 5th Ward Boyz – Gangsta Funk
- Big Mello – Wegonefunkwichamind
- Big Mike – Somethin' Serious
- Blac Monks – Secrets of the Hidden Temple
- Odd Squad – Fadanuf Fa Erybody!!
- Scarface – The Diary
- 3-2 – Wicked Buddah Baby
- Do or Die – Picture This
- Facemob – The Other Side of the Law
- Ganksta N-I-P – Psychotic Genius
- Geto Boys – The Resurrection
- A-G-2-A-Ke – Mil-Ticket
- Devin the Dude – The Dude
- Do or Die – Headz Or Tailz
- Ganksta N-I-P – Interview with a Killa
- Yukmouth – Thugged Out: The Albulation
- Oz (soundtrack)
- Tha Dogg Pound – Dillinger & Young Gotti
- Yukmouth – Thug Lord: The New Testament
- Sherm – Sherm Smoke 
- Big Syke – Big Syke
- Daz Dillinger – This Is The Life I Lead
- Devin the Dude – Just Tryin' ta Live
- E-40 – Grit & Grind
- Hussein Fatal – Fatal
- Kastro & E.D.I. – Blood Brothers
- King Tee – Thy Kingdom Come
- Scarface – The Fix
- Young Noble – Noble Justice
- Yukmouth – Godzilla
- Kanye West – 808's and Heartbreak
- Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
- Kid Cudi – Man On The Moon II: The Legend Of Mr. Rager
- Z-Ro – Heroin
- Beyoncé – BEYONCÉ
- Jay-Z – Magna Carta... Holy Grail
- Kanye West – Yeezus
- Angel Haze – Dirty Gold
- Travis Scott – Owl Pharaoh
- Travis Scott – Days Before Rodeo
- Freddie Gibbs & Mike Dean – GTA 5 :Radio Los Santos - “Sellin’ Dope”
- Madonna – Rebel Heart
- Travis Scott – Rodeo
- The Weeknd – Where You Belong
- Freddie Gibbs – Shadow of a Doubt
- The Weeknd - Beauty Behind the Madness
- Beyoncé – Lemonade
- Kanye West – The Life of Pablo
- Desiigner – New English
- Frank Ocean – Endless
- Frank Ocean – Blonde
- Travis Scott – Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight
- Ty Dolla Sign – Campaign
- Yung Lean – Warlord
- 2 Chainz – Hibachi for Lunch
- Kid Cudi – Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin'
- Z-Ro – Legendary
- 2 Chainz – Pretty Girls Like Trap Music
- Vic Mensa – The Autobiography
- Lunice – CCCLX
- Ty Dolla Sign – Beach House 3
- Travis Scott & Quavo – Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho
- AJ Mitchell – Used to Be
- Migos – Culture II
- Desiigner - L.O.D.
- Pusha T – DAYTONA
- Kanye West – ye
- Dermot Kennedy – Mike Dean Presents: Dermot Kennedy
- Kids See Ghosts – KIDS SEE GHOSTS
- Christina Aguilera – Liberation
- Nas – NASIR
- Beyoncé & Jay-Z as "The Carters" – Everything Is Love
- Teyana Taylor – K.T.S.E.
- Travis Scott – Astroworld
- Trippie Redd — Life's a Trip
- Genetikk – Y.A.L.A
- 2 Chainz – Rap or Go to the League
- Madonna – Madame X
- Maxo Kream – Brandon Banks
- Kanye West – Jesus is King
- City Morgue – City Morgue Vol 2: As Good As Dead
- Smokepurpp – Deadstar 2
- Sunday Service Choir – Jesus Is Born
- JackBoys and Travis Scott – JackBoys
- Selena Gomez – Rare
- 070 Shake – Modus Vivendi
- Gorillaz – Momentary Bliss
- Don Toliver – Heaven Or Hell
- Mike Dean – 4:20
- Pop Smoke – Shoot for the Stars, Aim for the Moon
- Kid Cudi – Man on the Moon III: The Chosen
- Burna Boy - Twice As Tall
Awards and nominationsEdit
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result||Ref.|
|2005||The College Dropout (as engineer/mixer)||Album of the Year||Nominated|||
|2006||"Gold Digger" (as engineer/mixer)||Record of the Year||Nominated|
|Late Registration (as engineer/mixer)||Best Rap Album||Won|
|Album of the Year||Nominated|
|2008||Graduation (as engineer)||Nominated|
|Best Rap Album||Won|
|"Good Life" (as songwriter)||Best Rap Song||Won|
|2012||My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (as engineer/mixer)||Best Rap Album||Won|
|2013||"Ni**as In Paris" (as songwriter)||Best Rap Song||Won|
|"Mercy" (as songwriter)||Nominated|
|2014||"New Slaves" (as songwriter)||Nominated|
|2015||"Bound 2" (as songwriter)||Nominated|
|2016||"All Day" (as songwriter)||Nominated|
|Beauty Behind the Madness (as producer)||Album of the Year||Nominated|
|2017||Lemonade (as producer)||Nominated|
|Purpose (as producer)||Nominated|
|"Famous" (as songwriter)||Best Rap Song||Nominated|
|"Ultralight Beam" (as songwriter)||Nominated|
|2019||"Sicko Mode" (as songwriter)||Nominated|
- "Mike Dean On Working With Selena, Scarface And Kanye". Retrieved 2015-08-30.
- Pablo, J. "Kanye Producer Mike Dean Talks Yeezus". Retrieved 2015-08-30.
- HipHopDX. "Producer's Corner: Mike Dean". Retrieved 2015-08-30.
- "Beat Construction: Mike Dean". Retrieved 2015-08-30.
- Schwartz, Danny (28 June 2016). "5 Producers You May Not Know On Desiigner's "New English"". Hotnewhiphop. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Boykins, Austin (29 June 2016). "Desiigner Teases Upcoming "Timmy Turner" Track With Mike Dean". Hypebeast. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "Mike Dean Talks Launching New M.W.A. Label & Signing First Artist Dice Soho". Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- Strauss, Matthew. "Producer/Multi-Instrumentalist Mike Dean Releases New Mixtape 4:20". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2020-04-21.
- Newstead, Al (21 May 2021). "Surprise! Lana Del Rey just dropped three new songs". Triple J. Retrieved 23 May 2021.
- Narozniak, Rachel (2020-08-10). "Carnage, The Martinez Brothers, Elderbrook, and Mike Dean get 'Together' [Stream]". Dancing Astronaut. Archived from the original on 2020-08-19. Retrieved 2020-08-19.
- "Sherm – Sherm Smoke". Discogs. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- "Listen To Kid Cudi's Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin' Now". Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "Mike Dean". GRAMMY.com. 15 December 2020.