Somain (French pronunciation: [sɔmɛ̃]) is a commune in the Nord department in northern France. The former commune of Villers-Campeau was absorbed by Somain in 1947. The town was known for its extensive mining industry.
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Julien Quennesson|
|12.32 km2 (4.76 sq mi)|
|• Density||990/km2 (2,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||16–48 m (52–157 ft) |
(avg. 32 m or 105 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The Renaissance mine was the first mine. It was opened in the south of the town in 1839. It was soon followed by the St Louis mine, which opened in 1843, and was located a few hundred yards south of the Renaissance mine. The Renaissance mine closed in 1890, and the St Louis mine in 1925.
In 1856, the Anzin Mining Company opened the Casimir Périer mine in the South East of the town, near Fenain and Abscon. Coal extraction ceased at the Casimir Périer mine in 1935, but the mine remained open to allow access to another local pit, the Saint Mark mine.
The Aniche mining company opened the De Sessavalle mine in 1902. The mine closed in 1970.
Since 1912, the town has had the following mayors:
- 1912-1945: Victor Bachelet
- 1945-1947: Eugène Dutouquet
- 1947-1952: Victor Bachelet
- 1952-1964: Achille Fleury
- 1964-1977: Marc Demilly
- 1977–present: Jean-Claude Quennesson (incumbent)
There are various primary schools in Somain:
- École primaire Louis-Aragon, located in De Sessevalle.
- École primaire Marie-Curie, located in the town center.
- École primaire Désiré-Chevalier, located in Villers-Campeau.
- École primaire Henri-Barbusse, located near the Cheminots estate.
- École primaire Sainte-Anne (private school).
Somain has three colleges:
- Collège Victor-Hugo, located in the town center.
- Collège Louis-Pasteur, located near the Cheminots estate.
- Collège Sainte-Anne, a private college located near the city center.
There are plans to renovate Collège Victor-Hugo to meet HQE standards.
There are two lycées in Somain:
- Lycée général et technologique Louis-Pasteur, located near the Cheminots estate.
- Lycée Hélène-Boucher, a private college located in De Sessevalle.
- Emmanuel Broutin (1826-1883), fencing master
- "Populations légales 2018". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 28 December 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Somain.|