Sijara Jihan Eubanks (born April 27, 1985) is an American professional mixed martial artist who currently fights in the women's bantamweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). As of February 8, 2021, she is #13 in the UFC women's bantamweight rankings.
|Born||Sijara Jihan Eubanks|
April 27, 1985
Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
|Height||5 ft 4 in (1.63 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
|Team||Nick Catone MMA|
|Trainer||Nick Catone |
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
Eubanks began her MMA career in competitions for the International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation. She won 1st place in the Women's No-Gi Advanced Absolute division in the 2011 Grapplers Quest World Championship Finals. After an undefeated MMA record as an amateur, she turned pro in April 2015.
Eubanks made her professional debut on April 24, 2015 against Gina Begley at Invicta FC 12. She won the fight via TKO in the first round.
In her second fight for the promotion, Eubanks faced AmberLynn Orr on July 29, 2016 at Invicta FC 18. She won the fight via TKO in the first round.
In her third fight for the promotion, Eubanks faced Aspen Ladd on January 14, 2017 at Invicta FC 21. She lost the fight via unanimous decision, bringing her record to 2-2 before joining The Ultimate Fighter.
The Ultimate FighterEdit
In August 2017, it was announced that Eubanks would be one of the fighters featured on The Ultimate Fighter 26, where the process to crown the UFC's inaugural 125-pound women's champion will take place.
In the first round, Eubanks defeated Maia Stevenson via submission in the second round, allowing her to move on to the next stage of the competition. In the quarterfinals, Eubanks faced DeAnna Bennett and won the fight via knockout in round one. In the semifinals, Eubanks faced Roxanne Modafferi. She won the fight via unanimous decision after three rounds.
Ultimate Fighting ChampionshipEdit
Eubanks was scheduled to face Nicco Montaño on December 1, 2017 at The Ultimate Fighter 26 Finale for the inaugural UFC Women’s Flyweight title. She was pulled from the fight for kidney failure while trying to make weight and was replaced by Roxanne Modafferi.
Eubanks was scheduled to face Valentina Shevchenko for the vacant UFC Women's Flyweight Championship at UFC 230 on November 3, 2018. However, the fight was canceled on October 9, 2018 after the UFC announced that a fight between Daniel Cormier and Derrick Lewis would instead main event UFC 230 and that Shevchenko would also return to her original bout for the vacant title, against Joanna Jędrzejczyk at UFC 231. Eubanks remained on the card and faced Roxanne Modafferi. At the weigh-ins, Eubanks weighed in at 127.2 pounds, 1.2 pounds over the flyweight non-title fight limit of 126 and she was fined 20 percent of her purse, which went to her opponent Mondafferi. She won the fight via unanimous decision.
A rematch with Aspen Ladd took place on May 18, 2019 at UFC Fight Night 152. Eubanks lost to Ladd for the second time by unanimous decision. This fight earned her the Fight of the Night award.
Eubanks was scheduled to face Sarah Moras on April 18, 2020 at UFC 249. However, on April 9, Dana White, the president of UFC announced that this event was postponed and rescheduled to May 13, 2020 at UFC Fight Night: Smith vs. Teixeira. She won the fight via unanimous decision.
Eubanks was scheduled to face Macy Chiasson on September 5, 2020 at UFC Fight Night 176. However, Chiasson pulled out of the fight for undisclosed medical reasons and was replaced by Karol Rosa. Rosa pulled out on September 3 due to complications related to her weight cut. Eubanks competed a week later at UFC Fight Night 177 on September 12, 2020 against Julia Avila. She won the fight via unanimous decision.
As the first fight of her new contract with the UFC, Eubanks was scheduled for a quick turnaround (replacing injured Marion Reneau) and faced Ketlen Vieira on September 27, 2020 at UFC 253. She lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Eubanks was scheduled to face Karol Rosa on June 12, 2021 at UFC 263. However, Rosa pulled out of the fight in late-May citing an injury. In turn, Eubanks was removed from the card and will face Priscila Cachoeira six weeks later at UFC on ESPN: Sandhagen vs. Dillashaw instead.
Championships and accomplishmentsEdit
In February 2021, Eubanks came under fire from many MMA fans and media after a video was posted to her Twitter page that showed Eubanks in a physical confrontation with her former live-in partner, Lilly Ruiz, in front of their child. In a statement posted to her Instagram page, Eubanks claimed that she was the victim of domestic violence and denied any claims that she was abusive to any partners. No charges were filed.
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|12 matches||6 wins||6 losses|
|Loss||6–6||Pannie Kianzad||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Thompson vs. Neal||December 19, 2020||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||6–5||Ketlen Vieira||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 253||September 27, 2020||3||5:00||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates|
|Win||6–4||Julia Avila||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Waterson vs. Hill||September 12, 2020||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||5–4||Sarah Moras||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Smith vs. Teixeira||May 13, 2020||3||5:00||Jacksonville, Florida, United States|
|Loss||4–4||Bethe Correia||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Rodríguez vs. Stephens||September 21, 2019||3||5:00||Mexico City, Mexico|
|Loss||4–3||Aspen Ladd||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: dos Anjos vs. Lee||May 18, 2019||3||5:00||Rochester, New York, United States||Return to Bantamweight. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||4–2||Roxanne Modafferi||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 230||November 3, 2018||3||5:00||New York City, New York, United States||Catchweight (127.2 lb) bout; Eubanks missed weight.|
|Win||3–2||Lauren Murphy||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Rivera vs. Moraes||June 1, 2018||3||5:00||Utica, New York, United States||Return to Flyweight.|
|Loss||2–2||Aspen Ladd||Decision (unanimous)||Invicta FC 21: Anderson vs. Tweet||January 14, 2017||3||5:00||Kansas City, Missouri, United States|
|Win||2–1||Amber Lynn||TKO (punches and elbows)||Invicta FC 18: Grasso vs. Esquibel||July 29, 2016||1||4:41||Kansas City, Missouri, United States||Return to Bantamweight.|
|Loss||1–1||Katlyn Chookagian||Decision (unanimous)||Cage Fury Fighting Championships 52||October 31, 2015||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Flyweight debut.|
|Win||1–0||Gina Begley||TKO (punches)||Invicta FC 12: Kankaanpää vs. Souza||April 24, 2015||1||4:59||Kansas City, Missouri, United States||Bantamweight debut.|
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|3 matches||3 wins||0 losses|
|Win||3–0||Roxanne Modafferi||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion||November 29, 2017 (air date)||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||TUF 26 Semi-final round.|
|Win||2–0||DeAnna Bennett||KO (head kick)||November 8, 2017 (air date)||1||1:25||TUF 26 Quarter-final round.|
|Win||1–0||Maia Stevenson||Submission (kimura)||September 27, 2017 (air date)||2||1:52||TUF 26 preliminary round.|
- Mixed martial arts show results Date: September 12, 2020
- John Morgan (March 23, 2020). "Sijara Eubanks confident UFC 249 carries on: I don't give a damn where it's at". mmajunkie.com.
- Thomas Gerbasi (September 26, 2017). "Get To Know TUF Cast: Sijara Eubanks". UFC.com.
- "IBJJF Results". Retrieved June 18, 2020.
- "UFC Rankings | UFC.com". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2021-02-10.
- "'The Ultimate Fighter 26' cast revealed: Who's vying to become 1st UFC women's flyweight champ?". 6 August 2017. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "The Ultimate Fighter 26, Episode 7 results: Melinda Fabian vs. Rachael Ostovich". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Episode No. 9 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 26: A New World Champion'". MMAjunkie. 2017-11-09. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Episode No. 12 (season finale) recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 26: A New World Champion'". MMAjunkie. 2017-11-30. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Roxanne Modafferi replaces Sijara Eubanks in TUF 26 Finale's inaugural title fight". MMAjunkie. 2017-11-30. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "'TUF 26' finalist Sijara Eubanks breaks silence on weight miss that scrapped UFC title shot". MMAjunkie. 2017-11-30. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "UFC Fight Night 131 results: Sijara Eubanks gets first UFC win, tops Lauren Murphy". MMAjunkie. 2018-06-02. Retrieved 2018-06-02.
- "Sijara Eubanks e Jessica Eye se enfrentam no UFC 232 | MMA Brasil". MMA Brasil (in Portuguese). 2018-08-29. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "Cormier-Lewis official as UFC 230 main event". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2018-10-10.
- "Sijara Eubanks will fight at UFC 230, after all". MMAjunkie. 2018-10-10. Retrieved 2018-10-11.
- "UFC 230 Heavyweight Title Fight Set After Derrick Lewis Ekes Under the Limit | MMAWeekly.com". www.mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2018-11-02.
- "UFC 230 results: Sijara Eubanks earns clean-sweep unanimous decision over Roxanne Modafferi". MMAjunkie. 2018-11-04. Retrieved 2018-11-04.
- Staff (2019-03-07). "Aspen Ladd vs. Sijara Eubanks bantamweight bout set for UFC on ESPN+ 9 in May". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-03-07.
- Shillan, Keith (2019-05-18). "UFC Rochester Results: Aspen Ladd Defeats Sijara Eubanks in Fun Scrap". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-05-19.
- "UFC on ESPN+ 10 bonuses: Aspen Ladd-Sijara Eubanks barnburner earns 'Fight of the Night'". MMA Junkie. 2019-05-19. Retrieved 2019-05-19.
- Cruz, Guilherme (2019-07-20). "Sijara Eubanks returns against Bethe Correia at UFC Mexico City". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2019-07-21.
- "UFC on ESPN+ 17 results: Bethe Correia snaps skid, upsets Sijara Eubanks by decision". MMA Junkie. 2019-09-21. Retrieved 2019-09-22.
- "Sijara Eubanks vs. Sarah Moras booked for UFC 249". MMA Junkie. 2020-01-24. Retrieved 2020-01-25.
- Brett Okamoto (2020-04-09). "Dana White says UFC 249 will not happen April 18". espn.com. Retrieved 2020-04-09.
- "Dana White announces full list of UFC matchups for May 13, May 16 events in Florida". MMA Junkie. 2020-05-01. Retrieved 2020-05-02.
- McClory, Mike (May 13, 2020). "UFC Jacksonville Results: Sijara Eubanks Earns One-Sided Decision Over Sarah Moras". Cageside Press.
- DNA, MMA (2020-07-17). "Macy Chiasson vs. Sijara Eubanks ingepland voor UFC evenement op 5 september". MMA DNA. Retrieved 2020-07-18.
- Raphael Marinho (2020-08-26). "With less than two weeks to go, Karol Rosa wins a spot and faces Sijara Eubanks in the UFC". globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 2020-08-26. (in Portuguese)
- Danny Segura (2020-09-03). "Sijara Eubanks loses UFC on ESPN+ 34 bout vs. Karol Rosa, now meets Julia Avila on Sept. 12". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-09-03.
- Evanoff, Josh (2020-09-12). "UFC Vegas 10 Results: Sijara Eubanks Defeats Julia Avila In Wild Fight". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2020-09-13.
- Heck, Mike (2020-09-16). "With Marion Reneau out, Sijara Eubanks makes quick turnaround against Ketlen Vieira at UFC 253". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2020-09-17.
- Jack Silfen (September 18, 2020). "Sijara Eubanks steps in for Marion Reneau versus Ketlen Viera". sportskeeda.com.
- Fuentes, Jon (2020-09-26). "UFC 253 Results: Ketlen Vieira Gets Win Over Sijara Eubanks". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2020-09-27.
- Adam Guillen Jr. (2020-11-17). "Cirkunov vs Spann, Eubanks vs Kianzad added to UFC Vegas 17 on Dec. 19". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2020-11-18.
- Anderson, Jay (2020-12-19). "UFC Vegas 17 Results: Pannie Kianzad Gets by Sijara Eubanks". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2020-12-20.
- Raphael Marinho (2021-03-18). "UFC sets duel between Karol Rosa and Sijara Eubanks for UFC 263, June 12". globoesporte.com (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2021-03-18.
- DNA, MMA (2021-05-28). "Blessure Karol Rosa zorgt voor partij tussen Sijara Eubanks en Priscila Cachoeira op 24 juli". mma.dna.nl. Retrieved 2021-05-28.
- Dave Doyle (2018-06-27). "Sijara Eubanks determined to march from NYC Pride to UFC flyweight title". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- Evan Wheeler (February 23, 2021). "UFC's Sijara Eubanks Releases Statement After Domestic Violence Allegations: "I Suffered"". Fightful.com.
- Sherdog.com. "Sijara". Sherdog. Retrieved 2019-09-21.
- Sherdog.com. "Sijara". Sherdog. Retrieved 2018-09-14.