The bantamweight division in mixed martial arts refers to a number of different weight classes:
- The UFC's bantamweight division, which groups competitors within 126–135 lb (57.2-61.3 kg)
- The King of the Cage bantamweight class, with upper limit at 145 lb (65.8 kg)
- The Shooto bantamweight division, which suits competitors below 125 lb (56.7 kg)
- The ONE Championship's bantamweight division, with upper limit at 65.8 kg (145.1 lb)
- The Road FC's bantamweight division, with upper limit at 135.6 lb (61.5 kg)
Ambiguity and clarification edit
For the sake of uniformity, many American mixed martial arts websites refer to competitors between 126 and 135 lb (57 and 61 kg) as bantamweights, as it encompasses both the Shooto Featherweight division (132 lb / 60 kg) and the King of the Cage Flyweight division (135 lb / 61 kg). The Association of Boxing Commissions, which governs MMA in the United States, uses the 126-135 standard for "bantamweight".
Prior to UFC 31, 150-pound (68 kg) fighters were known as bantamweights in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, after which the weight limit was raised to 155 lb (70 kg), and the division was reinstated as the lightweight class.
Professional champions edit
Current champions edit
These tables were last updated in August 2023.
|UFC||August 20, 2023||Sean O'Malley||17–1–1 (12KO 1SUB)||0|
|Bellator||November 17, 2023||Patchy Mix||19–1 (2KO 13SUB)||0|
|ONE Championship||February 25, 2023||Fabrício Andrade||9–2 (5KO 2SUB)||0|
|Rizin FF||July 30, 2023||Juan Archuleta||29–4 (11KO 1SUB)||0|
|Fight Nights Global||October 14, 2022||Sabit Zhusupov||15–3 (6KO 3SUB)||0|
|KSW||December 17, 2022||Jakub Wikłacz||14-3-1 (0KO 9SUB)||0|
|ACA||March 26, 2022||Oleg Borisov||26–6–1 (12KO 1SUB)||1|
|Legacy Fighting Alliance||June 16, 2023||John Sweeney||13–3 (4KO 3SUB)||0|
|Invicta FC||January 18, 2023||Talita Bernardo||10–4 (0KO 6SUB)||0|
See also edit
- "Fighters: Rankings ..." KingoftheCage.com. Archived from the original on 2007-02-16. Retrieved 2007-02-20.
- "Nevada Revised Statutes: `er 467 - Unarmed Combat". leg.state.nv.us. Archived from the original on 16 February 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-20.
- "Unified Rules of MMA". ABCBoxing.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-05. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- Media related to Bantamweight mixed martial artists at Wikimedia Commons