Bethe "Pitbull" Correia (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈbɛtʃi koˈʁejɐ]; born June 22, 1983) is a Brazilian mixed martial artist. She currently competes in the Ultimate Fighting Championship's women's bantamweight division. As September 23, 2019, she is #13 in the UFC women's bantamweight rankings.
|Born||June 22, 1983|
Campina Grande, Paraíba, Brazil
|Residence||Natal, Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil|
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
|Reach||64 in (163 cm)|
|Style||Sanda, Kung Fu, Boxing, BJJ, Wrestling|
|Fighting out of||Natal, Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil|
|Team||Pitbull Brothers MMA|
American Kickboxing Academy (AKA)
|Rank||Purple sash in Kung Fu |
Blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Bethe Correia was born in Campina Grande, Paraiba. She graduated from college with a degree in accounting, but gradually found that she was "too hyperactive for office work". While practicing Sanda, Correia concluded that fighting provided what had been "missing" in her life, and sought to compete in mixed martial arts (MMA).
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
Correia studied a number of techniques at the onset of her MMA career, including jiu-jitsu, Sanda, and amateur wrestling. She would eventually develop a preference for striking, particularly boxing.
She made her professional MMA debut in her native Brazil in May 2012, defeating Daniela Maria da Silva by unanimous decision at the First Fight: Revelations show. Training with the "Pitbull" brothers, Patrício and Patricky Freire, she won her first six fights within 13 months.
Ultimate Fighting ChampionshipEdit
In October 2013, Correia signed a multi-fight deal with the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). Correia noted, "Being in the UFC is having the chance to fight with the best in the world and accept big challenges. It's the dream of any fighter."
Correia made her promotional debut the following December as she faced MMA veteran Julie Kedzie at UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Bigfoot. At the time, Correia had fought in six professional bouts, while Kedzie had competed in 28. Correia won the fight via split decision.
She then faced Jessamyn Duke on April 26, 2014 at UFC 172. Despite her reach disadvantage, Correia used quick striking to out-point Duke, and closed the gap by backing Duke toward the cage. She won the fight by unanimous decision (30–27, 29–28, and 30–27).
Correia faced Shayna Baszler on August 30, 2014 at UFC 177. After escaping a submission attempt in the first round, Correia became more aggressive with her striking and won by TKO at 1:56 of round 2.
Bantamweight title shotEdit
Following her third consecutive win in the UFC, Correia was challenged by former Strikeforce bantamweight champions Sarah Kaufman and Miesha Tate. "A lot of girls from the UFC roster want a bout with me," Correia noted. She initially expressed interest in fighting Kaufman, but later stated that she was focused on getting a title shot against then-UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey. "I want to face the champion," she said.
After her earlier victory over Duke, a member of Rousey's informal "Four Horsewomen" stable, Correia began campaigning for a title shot against Rousey, holding four fingers to the camera and symbolically putting one down. She did likewise after beating Horsewoman Baszler. In March 2015, UFC officials confirmed that Correia would fight Rousey for the title on August 1, 2015, at UFC 190.
Despite the fact that Rousey had finished all but one of her previous fights within a round, Correia displayed much confidence heading into the bout, stating that she planned to give Rousey the worst beating of her career. Subsequently, Correia lost the fight by knockout in only 34 seconds of the first round.
Post title shotEdit
Following UFC 190, Correia expressed interest in bouts with Miesha Tate and Jessica Eye, but claimed that both women had declined. Eye denied the claim and offered to fight Correia in Spring 2016. In April 2016, Correia fought Raquel Pennington at UFC on Fox: Teixeira vs. Evans, losing via split decision.
Correia then faced Marion Reneau on March 11, 2017 at UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Gastelum. The back-and-forth fight saw strong moments from both women, ultimately ending in a majority draw (29–27 Reneau, 28–28, and 28–28). After the fight, Reneau disagreed with the result and said “I believe she won the first round; maybe she might’ve edged me out a little bit. I think I definitely won the second – and for sure I won the third round."
The bout with Aldana was rescheduled and is expected to take place on May 11, 2019 at UFC 237. At the weigh-ins, Correia weighed in at 141 lbs, 5 pounds over the bantamweight limit of 136 lbs. She was fined 30% of her fight purse and the bout proceeded at catchweight. She lost the fight via submission in round three.
Correia is a striker who largely uses boxing and grappling techniques. She is recognized for her punching combinations, counter strikes, spinning back fists, and aggressive right hands. During her fight against Jessamyn Duke, she led by 100 strikes to Duke's 55.
Correia is known for her use of dirty boxing and cutting off the cage. While clinching, she will usually move the fight toward the fence and attack with flurries. At UFC 172, she used this technique to negate Jessamyn Duke's reach; she later used it to earn her stoppage against Shayna Baszler.
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|16 matches||11 wins||4 losses|
|Win||11–4–1||Sijara Eubanks||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Rodríguez vs. Stephens||September 21, 2019||3||5:00||Mexico City, Mexico|
|Loss||10–4–1||Irene Aldana||Submission (armbar)||UFC 237||May 11, 2019||3||3:24||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Catchweight (141 lbs) bout; Correia missed weight.|
|Loss||10–3–1||Holly Holm||KO (head kick and punch)||UFC Fight Night: Holm vs. Correia||June 17, 2017||3||1:09||Kallang, Singapore|
|Draw||10–2–1||Marion Reneau||Draw (majority)||UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Gastelum||March 11, 2017||3||5:00||Fortaleza, Brazil|
|Win||10–2||Jessica Eye||Decision (split)||UFC 203||September 10, 2016||3||5:00||Cleveland, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||9–2||Raquel Pennington||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Teixeira vs. Evans||April 16, 2016||3||5:00||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Loss||9–1||Ronda Rousey||KO (punch)||UFC 190||August 1, 2015||1||0:34||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||For the UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship.|
|Win||9–0||Shayna Baszler||TKO (punches)||UFC 177||August 30, 2014||2||1:56||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||8–0||Jessamyn Duke||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 172||April 26, 2014||3||5:00||Baltimore, Maryland, United States|
|Win||7–0||Julie Kedzie||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Bigfoot||December 7, 2013||3||5:00||Brisbane, Australia|
|Win||6–0||Erica Paes||Decision (unanimous)||Jungle Fight 54||June 29, 2013||3||5:00||Barra do Piraí, Brazil|
|Win||5–0||Juliete de Souza||TKO (punches)||WCC – W-Combat 17||June 1, 2013||2||N/A||Macapá, Brazil|
|Win||4–0||Anne Karoline||Decision (unanimous)||Bokum Fight Championship||April 12, 2013||3||5:00||Aracaju, Brazil|
|Win||3–0||Elaine Albuquerque||Decision (unanimous)||Heat FC 4 – The Return||October 18, 2012||3||5:00||Natal, Brazil|
|Win||2–0||Daniely dos Santos||Decision (unanimous)||Fort MMA 2 – Higo vs. Kevin||July 27, 2012||3||5:00||Mossoró, Brazil|
|Win||1–0||Daniela da Silva||Decision (unanimous)||First Fight: Revelations||May 31, 2012||3||5:00||Parnamirim, Brazil|
- "Bethe Correia - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- "Bethe Correia | UFC". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- "Fight Card - UFC 177 Dillashaw vs. Soto". UFC.com. Retrieved August 31, 2014.
- "Rankings | UFC". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2019-09-23.
- Erickson, Matt (2013-12-06). "Bethe Correia playing numbers game, and hopes UFC debut win is in the cards". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-25.
- Martin, Damon (2014-04-26). "UFC 172 Fight blog recap". FoxSports.com. Retrieved 2015-03-12.
- "UFC signs Sergio Pettis and Bethe Correia". bloodyelbow.com. October 1, 2013.
- "UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Bigfoot". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- "Bethe 'Pitbull' Correia". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-07-24.
- Matt Erickson (2014-07-08). "Shayna Baszler vs. Bethe Correia moves from UFC 176 to UFC 177 in Sacramento". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-08.
- Thomas, Luke (2014-04-26). "UFC 172 undercard live blog: Benavidez vs. Elliott, more". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-03-12.
- Zidan, Karim (2015-01-10). "Bethe Correia excited by Sarah Kaufman callout: I will beat her or anyone else by first-round knockout". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-07-25.
- Arbex, Fernando (2015-02-05). "Bethe Correia not interested in Miesha Tate fight: 'She wants the spotlight again'". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-07-25.
- ""Year in the making, Rousey to face Correia at UFC 190", by Dave Deibert, PostMedia News". Archived from the original on 2015-11-17. Retrieved 2015-03-21.
- Guilherme Cruz (2015-03-19). "Ronda Rousey vs. Bethe Correia targeted for UFC 190 in Rio de Janeiro". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-03-19.
- Cepeda, Elias (2015-06-03). "Bethe Correia: Ronda Rousey is a farce". FoxSports.com. Retrieved 2015-07-25.
- Damon Martin (2015-08-02). "UFC 190: Ronda Rousey face plants Bethe Correia with 34-second knockout". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-08-02.
- Cruz, Guilherme (2015-12-02). "Bethe Correia Wants To Retire Miesha Tate: 'I will make your wish come true, Miesha'". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-12-17.
- Holland, Jesse (2015-12-17). "Bethe Correia: Jessica Eye Rejected UFC Pittsburgh Fight Because She Wants To Do Movies". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2015-12-17.
- Guillen, Adam (2015-12-23). "Jessica Eye denies turning down UFC fight against 'alligator mouth' Bethe Correia". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- Staff (2016-06-11). "Report: Cleveland-based Jessica Eye targeted for fight with Bethe Correia at UFC 203". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-06-21.
- Sherdog.com. "Bethe Correia-Marion Reneau, Paulo Costa-Alex Nicholson Join UFC Fight Night 106 in Fortaleza". Sherdog. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- "UFC Fight Night 106 Results: Bethe Correia vs. Marion Reneau". | BJPenn.com. 2017-03-11. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- "Marion Reneau on Bethe Correia: 'I don't accept the draw' at UFC Fight Night 106". MMAjunkie. 2017-03-12. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- "Holly Holm returns to 135 pounds, meets Bethe Correia in UFC Fight Night 111 headliner". MMAjunkie. 2017-04-13. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- "UFC Fight Night 111 results: Holly Holm answers Bethe Correia's request, KOs her with head kick". MMAjunkie. 2017-06-17. Retrieved 2017-06-17.
- DNA, MMA. "Bethe Correia vs. Irene Aldana gaat alsnog gebeuren tijdens UFC 227 in Los Angeles". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-05-18.
- "Bethe Correia pulled from UFC 227, Irene Aldana won't get replacement". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- Ana Hissa and Raphael Marinho (2019-02-20). "Ultimate Bethe Correia brand against Irene Aldana at UFC 237, May 11, in Brazil" (in Portuguese). combate.com. Retrieved 2019-02-20.
- Carroll, Peter (2019-05-10). "Video: Bethe Correia badly misses weight for UFC 237 bout with Irene Aldana". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- "UFC 237 results: Irene Aldana submits Bethe Correia in third round". MMA Junkie. 2019-05-12. Retrieved 2019-05-12.
- Cruz, Guilherme (2019-07-20). "Sijara Eubanks returns against Bethe Correia at UFC Mexico City". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2019-07-21.
- "UFC on ESPN+ 17 results: Bethe Correia snaps skid, upsets Sijara Eubanks by decision". MMA Junkie. 2019-09-21. Retrieved 2019-09-22.
- "UFC Fight Night 33 Play-By-Play: Julie Kedzie Vs. Bethe Correia". mmaweekly.com. 2013-12-06. Retrieved 2015-03-12.
- Winfree, Robert (2014-08-31). "411's UFC 177: Dillashaw vs. Soto Report 8.30.14". 411mania.com. Archived from the original on 2015-04-02. Retrieved 2015-03-12.
- Csonka, Larry (2014-04-27). "411's UFC 172: Jones vs. Teixeira Report 4.26.14". 411mania.com. Archived from the original on 2015-04-02. Retrieved 2015-03-12.
- Sherdog.com. "Bethe". Sherdog. Retrieved 2019-09-21.