Sheikhupura (Urdu: ضِلع شيخُوپُورہ) (Punjabi: ضِلع شيخُوپُور), is a district of Punjab province, Pakistan. Sheikhupura is the headquarters of Sheikhupura district. According to the 1998 census of Pakistan, the district had a population of 3,321,029 of which 25.45% were urban. In 2005 one of its subdivisions was split off to form the new Nankana Sahib District.
Map of Punjab with Sheikhupura District highlighted
|• Deputy Commissioner||Tariq Mehmood Bukhari|
|• Total||3,030 km2 (1,170 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (3,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5 (PST)|
The predominant language of the district is Punjabi, which according to the 1998 census results for the tehsils of Sheikhupura, Ferozewala and Safdarabad, is the first language of 98% of the population, while Urdu is the first language of 1.1%.
According to the 2017 Census of Pakistan, most populous cities of the district are Sheikhupura, Muridke, Kot Abdul Malik and Ferozewala. All these four cities are listed in the List of most populous cities in Pakistan.
- Sharaq Pur
- Safdarabad (part of Nankana Sahib District between 2005 and 2008)
List of Municipal Committees in District Sheikhupura
- Sheikhupura Municipal Committee
- Farooq abad Municipal Committee
- Manan wala Municipal Committee
- Safdar abad Municipal Committee
- Khanqah dogran Municipal Committee
- Ferozwala Municipal Committee
- Kot Abdulmalik Municipal Committee
- Muridke Municipal Committee
- Narang Mandi Municipal Committee
- Sharaqpur Municipal Committee
- "DISTRICT WISE CENSUS RESULTS CENSUS 2017" (PDF). www.pbscensus.gov.pk. Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 August 2017.
- Urban Resource Centre (1998 Census) Archived 2006-05-13 at the Wayback Machine
- "Sheikhupura - Punjab Portal". Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- "Mother tongue": defined as the language of communication between parents and children.
- 1998 District Census report of Sheikhupura. Census publication. 79. Islamabad: Population Census Organization, Statistics Division, Government of Pakistan. 2000. pp. 105–6.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sheikhupura District.|