Shehu Idris (20 February 1936 – 20 September 2020) was a Nigerian teacher who served as the 18th Emir of Zazzau, a Nigerian traditional state headquartered in Zaria. He also served as chairman of Zazzau Emirate Council and Kaduna State Council of Chiefs. A member of the Fula people, he ascended the throne on 8 February 1975 following the demise of Alhaji Muhammadu Aminu, his predecessor. Idris was the longest reigning monarch in the history of the Zazzau emirate, having reigned for 45 years from 1975 to 2020. He was succeeded by Alhaji Ahmed Nuhu Bamalli as the 19th Emir of Zazzau.
|Emir of Zazzau|
|Emir of Zazzau|
|Coronation||8 February 1975|
|Successor||Ahmed Nuhu Bamalli|
|Born||20 February 1936|
Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria
|Died||20 September 2020 (aged 84)|
Kaduna, Kaduna State, Nigeria
Zaria, Kaduna State
Early life and educationEdit
Shehu Idris was born to the family of Maiunguwa Idrisu Auta a ward head of Unguwar Iya which is a ward between Unguwar Durumi and Kuyanbana in Zazzau Emirate, his father was sometimes called Autan Sambo while his mother was called Hajiya Aminatu. His father, Maiunguwa Idris was nicknamed Auta because he was the last born of the Emir of Zazzau Muhammadu Sambo who reigned from c. 1879 to 1888, Emir Muhammadu Sambo was the second child of Emir of Zazzau Abdulkarimi who reigned from c.1834–1846, as such his father was a Ward Head while his Grandfather and Great-Grandfather were Emirs in Zazzau Emirate
Idris started his education being tutored by two Islamic scholars in Zaria and then continued with formal studies at the Zaria Elementary School. He was at the elementary school from 1947 to 1950, during which period he lost his father at the age of 12. Idris continued both his qur’anic and formal education and enrolled in the Zaria Middle School in 1950 and finished studies in 1955. He then attended Katsina Training College to become a teacher.
Later life and careerEdit
In 1958, he was a teacher at a school in Hunkuyi and then taught at a few other schools in Zaria. In the 1960s, he was a private secretary to the late Emir of Zazzau Muhammadu Aminu, and was also appointed as the secretary to the Zaria Native Authority council in 1965. In 1973, he was bestowed the title of Dan Madamin Zaria and was appointed the district head of Zaria.
Idris succeeded Emir Aminu after his death in 1975. On 10 January 2015 he celebrated the 40th anniversary of his coronation, and on 8 February 2020, he celebrated the 45th anniversary of his coronation.
- "BREAKING: Emir of Zazzau is dead". Daily Nigerian. 20 September 2020. Retrieved 20 September 2020.
- "Zazzau Emirate Council Member shot dead in Kaduna". Premium. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "I Owe Long Life, Peaceful Coexistence To Almighty Allah – Shehu Idris". Leadership Newspaper. Archived from the original on 9 September 2015. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "A mighty elephant has fallen". Daily Trust. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- "Emir Shehu Idris of Zazzau: Exit of a gentleman peacemaker". www.pressreader.com. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- Marshal, Adamu (14 January 2015). "HH Alhaji Shehi Idris". Kabidonews.com. Retrieved 30 April 2016.
- "The Emir of Zazzau, His royal Highness Alh(Dr) Shehu Idris, is dead". NewsWire NGR. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- "Zazzau emirate, journalists at loggerheads". Blueprint Newspapers Limited. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- "Emir of Zazzau dies at 84". The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World News. 21 September 2020. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- "Meet the 3 traditional rulers who might possibly succeed Late Emir of zazzau [Photos] - Opera News". ng.opera.news. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- "ACF hails Emir of Zazzau on 40th year on throne". Latest Nigeria News, Nigerian Newspapers, Politics. 11 January 2015. Retrieved 22 June 2020.
- Sa’idu, Isa; Zaria (8 February 2020). "History beckons as Emir of Zazzau marks 45th anniversary on the throne". Daily Trust. Retrieved 22 June 2020.
- Zaria, Isa Sa’idu (20 September 2020). "BREAKING: Emir of Zazzau Shehu Idris dies at 84". Daily Trust. Retrieved 20 September 2020.
- "Emir of Zazzau, Shehu Idris, dies at 84". 20 September 2020. Retrieved 20 September 2020.
- Published. "BREAKING: Emir of Zazzau, Shehu Idris, is dead". Punch Newspapers. Retrieved 20 September 2020.
- "Waiwaye kan rayuwar Sarkin Zazzau Mai Martaba Shehu Idris". BBC News Hausa (in Hausa). Retrieved 20 September 2020.