Sandra Reynolds Price (née Reynolds; born 4 March 1939) is a former tennis player from South Africa who won four Grand Slam women's doubles championships and one Grand Slam mixed doubles championship. Her best Grand Slam singles result was reaching the 1960 Wimbledon final, losing to Maria Bueno 8–6, 6–0. Reynolds is the only female player from South Africa to have reached the Wimbledon singles final, and she is one of three to have reached a singles final in a Grand Slam. In 1961, she was seeded no. 1 for the Wimbledon Ladies Singles Championship, making her the only South African player (man or woman) ever to be seeded first in a Grand Slam singles event. She was the runner-up at the 1959 U.S. Women's Clay Court Championships, losing to Sally Moore in the final. Price won the German Championships in 1960, 1961, and 1962. She was the runner-up at the 1959 Italian Championships, having defeated Bueno in the semifinals, then losing to Christine Truman in the final.
|Full name||Sandra Reynolds Price|
|Country (sports)||South Africa|
|Born||4 March 1939|
Bloemfontein, South Africa
|Highest ranking||No. 3 (1960)|
|Grand Slam Singles results|
|Australian Open||QF (1959)|
|French Open||SF (1959, 1960)|
|US Open||QF (1959, 1962)|
|Grand Slam Doubles results|
|Australian Open||W (1959)|
|French Open||W (1959, 1961, 1962)|
|Wimbledon||F (1960, 1962)|
|Grand Slam Mixed Doubles results|
|Australian Open||W (1959)|
|French Open||QF (1962)|
Price teamed with fellow South African Renée Schuurman to win all four of her Grand Slam women's doubles titles. They won the Australian Championships in 1959 and the French Championships in 1959, 1961, and 1962. In addition, they were the runners-up at Wimbledon in 1960 and 1962. Price teamed with Bob Mark to win the mixed doubles title at the 1959 Australian Championships, defeating Schuurman and Rod Laver in the final in three sets.
Grand Slam finalsEdit
Singles: 1 runner-upEdit
|Loss||1960||Wimbledon||Grass||Maria Bueno||6–8, 0–6|||
Doubles: 6 (4 titles, 2 runners-up)Edit
|Win||1959||Australian Championships||Grass||Renée Schuurman|| Lorraine Coghlan
Mary Carter Reitano
|Win||1959||French Championships||Clay||Renée Schuurman|| Yola Ramirez
|2–6, 6–0, 6–1|
|Loss||1960||Wimbledon||Grass||Renée Schuurman|| Maria Bueno
|Win||1961||French Championships||Clay||Renée Schuurman|| Maria Bueno
|Win||1962||French Championships||Clay||Renée Schuurman|| Justina Bricka
|Loss||1962||Wimbledon||Grass||Renée Schuurman|| Billie Jean Moffitt
|7–5, 3–6, 5–7|||
Mixed Doubles: 1 titleEdit
|Win||1959||Australian Championships||Grass||Bob Mark|| Renée Schuurman
|4–6, 13–11, 6–1|||
Grand Slam singles tournament timelineEdit
|Australian Championships||A||A||A||QF||A||A||A||0 / 1|
|French Championships||A||2R||4R||SF||SF||4R||QF||0 / 6|
|Wimbledon||2R||QF||2R||SF||F||SF||3R||0 / 7|
|US Championships||A||A||A||QF||A||A||QF||0 / 2|
|SR||0 / 1||0 / 2||0 / 2||0 / 4||0 / 2||0 / 2||0 / 3||0 / 16|
- Collins, Bud (2008). The Bud Collins History of Tennis: An Authoritative Encyclopedia and Record Book. New York, N.Y: New Chapter Press. pp. 695, 703. ISBN 0-942257-41-3.
- "Sandra Reynolds, a South African tennis champion is born". South African History Online.
- "The Passing of Giants". Sporting Post. 14 April 2015.
- "Wimbledon Rolls of Honour / Ladies' Singles". Wimbledon official tournament website. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- "Australian Open Results Archive / Women's Doubles". Australian Open official website. Archived from the original on 21 September 2015. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- "Wimbledon Rolls of Honour / Ladies' Doubles". Wimbledon official tournament website. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- "Australian Open Results Archive / Mixed Doubles". Australian Open official website. Archived from the original on 21 September 2015. Retrieved 26 September 2015.