San Francisco, Surigao del Norte
San Francisco, officially the Municipality of San Francisco, is a 5th class municipality in the province of Surigao del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 14,552 people.
|Municipality of San Francisco|
Map of Surigao del Norte with San Francisco highlighted
|Region||Caraga (Region XIII)|
|Province||Surigao del Norte|
|Barangays||11 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Val P. Pinat|
|• Vice Mayor||Miguel E. Gastardo|
|• Congressman||Robert Ace S. Barbers|
|• Electorate||4,856 voters (2019)|
|• Total||56.72 km2 (21.90 sq mi)|
|• Density||260/km2 (660/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (PST)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)86|
|Climate type||tropical rainforest climate|
|Income class||5th municipal income class|
|Revenue (₱)||52,077,121.45 (2016)|
There has been many stories concerning the origin of the town but the most common is about the two lovers, Anao and Aon. Anao was a handsome, strong hunter who fell in love with Aon, the most beautiful woman and daughter of a powerful datu, who ruled the town, which was formerly a barangay. Anao and Aon vowed to be true to their love, despite the datu’s objection. The datu wanted to break their love, however, he failed since the lovers were found dead near the riverbank in cold embrace. Thus, the name Anao-aon in memory of the two lovers.
Anao-aon became a pueblo after the abolition of the encomienda system in the early part of the Spanish regime with Lorenzo Tremedal, a bonafide resident of Surigao, as the Kapitan del Pueblo.
During the Spanish–American War, the town was almost reduced to ashes hence, it was reverted into a barrio until the earlier part of 1957. Through the undying efforts of Martillano Diaz, father of Ex-Board Member Macario M. Diaz, Anao-aon was emancipated and regained its status as a municipality by virtue of Executive Order No. 249 on May 24, 1957 during the time of President Carlos P. Garcia. Macario M, Diaz was given the title of Father of the Municipality of Anao-aon. On August 15, 1957 the municipality was inaugurated.
During the time of Mayor Francisco Delani, through House Bill No. 1768, approved May 20, 1971 by the House of the Senate, its unique and indigenous name Anao-aon was changed into San Francisco in honor of the Patron Saint, Saint Francis Xavier only to find out that it is creating a big confusion about its name because there are lots of municipalities in the Philippines already named after San Francisco, but then it's too late for its politician authors and supporters to make the move to revert into its original name of Anao-aon.
Municipal officials 2016-2019:
- Vice Mayor:
- Jelly P. Pol
- Edgar N. Plaza
- Henry C. Japzon
- Rogen R. Orillo
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Surigao del Norte". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Caraga". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Caraga". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Caraga". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- "Province of Surigao del Norte". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.