Western Digital office in Milpitas
(formerly headquarters of SanDisk)
Number of employees
SanDisk was founded in 1988 by Eli Harari, Sanjay Mehrotra, and Jack Yuan, incorporated at the time as SunDisk. SanDisk co-founder Eli Harari developed the Floating Gate EEPROM which proved the practicality, reliability and endurance of semiconductor-based data storage.
- In October 2005, SanDisk acquired Matrix Semiconductor.
- In July 2006, SanDisk acquired M-Systems.
- In May 2011, SanDisk acquired Pliant Technology, a manufacturer of solid state drives, for US$327 million.
- In February 2012, SanDisk acquired FlashSoft.
- In June 2012, SanDisk acquired Schooner Information Technology, developer of the flash-optimized database software SchoonerSQL and caching software Membrain.
- In July 2013, SanDisk acquired SMART Storage Systems, a producer of SSDs for the enterprise market, for US$307 million.
- In June 2014, SanDisk acquired Fusion-io, a producer of flash memory for enterprise data centers, for $1.1 billion.
Awards and recognitionEdit
- In 2012, the Enough Project ranked SanDisk the third highest of 24 consumer electronics companies on "progress on conflict minerals".
- In 2014, SanDisk co-founder Harari won the National Medal of Technology and Innovation from President Barack Obama for his innovations and contributions to flash memory storage solutions.
- In 2019 Sanjay Mehrotra Received Flash Memory Summit Lifetime Achievement Award (LAA)
- "Market View: NAND Flash Brand Supplier Revenue Falls 6.6% in First Quarter". DRAMeXchange. 2015-02-05. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- Harris, Scott Duke (2008-07-13). "Mercury News interview: SanDisk CEO helped launch digital revolution". The San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- "Santa Clara Valley Chapter Meeting: 'Future Directions for Semiconductor Non-Volatile Memory". Santa Clara University: IEEE Electron Devices Society. January 16, 1990.
- "A History of Innovation". Western Digital. 1991. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- "Toshiba and SanDisk Enter Joint Venture". The New York Times. Reuters. 2000-05-10. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-07-24.
- Molina, Brett (2015-10-21). "Western Digital to acquire SanDisk for $19B". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2015-10-22.
- Vincent, James (2016-05-12). "Western Digital Officially Closes SanDisk Acquisition". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- Kawamoto, Dawn (2005-10-21). "SanDisk to acquire Matrix Semiconductor". CNET. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- "SanDisk To Buy msystems". The Street. 2006-07-31. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2006-08-21.
- Kovar, Joseph F. (2011-05-16). "SanDisk Plans To Buy SSD Maker Pliant Technology". CRN.com. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- Kovar, Joseph F. (2012-06-27). "SanDisk Buys Schooner, Moves Into Enterprise Software Space". CRN.com. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- Dignan, Larry (2013-07-02). "SanDisk acquires SMART Storage Systems for $307 million". ZDNet. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- Hesseldahl, Arik (2014-06-16). "SanDisk to Acquire Troubled Fusion-io for $1.2 Billion". Recode. Vox Media. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- Lezhnev, Sasha; Hellmuth, Alex (Aug 2012). "Taking Conflict Out of Consumer Gadgets: Company Rankings on Conflict Minerals 2012" (PDF). Enough Project. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- Fairsmith, Christine (2014-10-24). "Eli Harari *73 receives honor from President Obama". School of Engineering and Applied Science. Princeton University. Retrieved 2019-07-24.
- "Flash Memory Lifetime Achievement Award 2019 - Sanjay Mehrotra". flashmemorysummit.com. Retrieved 2021-01-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SanDisk.|