Sakshi Agarwal is an Indian film actress and model, who has appeared in Tamil films and in a few Kannada and Malayalam films. After beginning her working career as a marketing consultant, Sakshi moved towards an acting career after she garnered attention during part-time modelling commitments. She has since starred in lead and supporting roles in South Indian films. She was also one of the contestants in the Tamil reality TV show Bigg Boss Tamil 3.
A native of Nainital, Agarwal studied at Good Shepherd Convent, Chennai, completed a bachelor's degree in information technology at Anna University(2002–06) and then an MBA degree at Xavier Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship(2008–10). She then pursued a career as a marketing consultant, first working with Tata Consultancy Services and then Infosys during 2010. After taking part in a charity fashion show for a friend, Sakshi was approached by a modelling recruiter who introduced her to advertisement directors. Sakshi subsequently started taking up commercial assignments during her weekends, appearing as a model on print, television and fashion shows. She appeared in Malabar Gold's advert alongside Suriya, and later chose to quit her job at Infosys in January 2013 to take up a career as an actress. Agarwal then shot for a video album titled Jillinu Oru Kalavaram, learnt dance from Shiamak Davar and worked on acting skills with Ratan Thakore Theatre Group, to prepare herself for the film industry. She sought out acting opportunities in the Tamil and Kannada film industries, and signed her first film projects during early 2013.
She was first cast by director Tejaswi in a Kannada film titled Heddari, which she completed filming by August 2013. Her first release was a little known Tamil tele-film titled No Parking, while her first theatrical release was Atlee's Raja Rani (2013), where she portrayed a small role in one scene. Among her early films, Heddari and another proposed Kannada-Tamil bilingual titled Karaab Story by Prathap Gowda did not eventually release. Her first film release in a leading role was the Kannada comedy drama, Software Ganda (2014), where she portrayed an office worker. In 2015 and 2016, she appeared in a series of low-budget Tamil films as the main lead featuring in a variety of roles. For one particular song in Ka Ka Ka Po, she dressed up in nine different avatars, while in Adhyan, she played a fashion student. Other films she was attached to in the period were the unreleased Jeyikkira Kuthira, where she played a negative role, and Brahma.com, which she later opted out from.
In early 2017, Agarwal did a three-week intensive course at the Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute, and has since been attached to an indie English film titled Cherubs. Sakshi then appeared in Pa. Ranjith's Kaala (2018) as a Hindi-speaking daughter-in-law of Rajinikanth's character. Agarwal auditioned for the role three times and noted her elation at being selected for the film. She later made her debut in the Malayalam film industry through the comedy drama, Orayiram Kinakkalal (2018), portraying the caring wife of Biju Menon's character.
Her upcoming films include Cinderella and Ezhil's Aayiram Jenmangal. In 2019, she took part in Star Vijay's Bigg Boss Tamil 3 and was evicted on Day 49, following her being the contestant with the least vote count.
- All films are in Tamil, unless otherwise noted.
|2013||Raja Rani||Girl ordering Cappucino||Tamil||Uncredited cameo appearance|
|2014||Software Ganda||Nancy||Kannada||Debut Kannada film|
|2016||Ka Ka Ka Po||Kavitha Punyakodi||Tamil|
|2018||Orayiram Kinakkalal||Preethi||Malayalam||Debut Malayalam film|
- Dubbing artist
|2018||Soppanna Sundari||Judge||Sun TV|
|2019||Bigg Boss Tamil 3||Contestant||Star Vijay||Evicted, Day 49|
|2019||Bigg Boss Kondattam||Guest||Star Vijay|
|2020||Zee Cine Awards||Guest||Zee TV|
|2020||Ithu Enga Ooru Samayal||Special Host||Kalaignar TV|
|2020||Vanakkam Tamizha||Guest||Sun TV|
- Kaala girl Sakshi Agarwal makes Mollywood debut with Biju Menon | Entertainment News, The Indian Express. Indianexpress.com (19 December 2017). Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Placemenets 2010. xime.org
- Sivakumar, Anushka (3 June, 3014) In love with the uncertainties. Deccan Herald
- From IT to Sandalwood. Deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Happy hues for Sakshi Agarwal. Dnaindia.com (17 December 2012). Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Telugu: Newbie Sakshi Agarwal cries casting couch? | Kannada Movie News – Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (19 December 2013). Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Techies & doctors invade silver screen in Karnataka | Bengaluru News – Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (25 August 2013). Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Model on the role. The New Indian Express (15 May 2014). Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Which Kannada film do YOU want to watch this weekend? – Rediff.com movies. Rediff.com (5 December 2014). Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Busy times ahead for Sakshi. The Hindu (11 September 2015). Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Menon, Thinkal V. (24 July 2015) Sakshi to don nine avatars for a song. Deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Raghavan, Nikhil (25 October 2014) Etcetera: Charting his own course. The Hindu. Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Suganth, M. (16 January 2017) Thiruttu VCD: I am a Chennai girl: Sakshi. Times of India. Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Jaikira Kuthirai: Sakshi to be seen in a much bolder avatar. Hindustan Times (19 September 2016). Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Subramanian, Anupama (17 February 2016) Getting her swimsuit act right. Deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Sahasranaman, Sruthi. (15 February 2017) Sakshi Aggarwal All Set For Hollywood Debut –. Silverscreen.in. Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Kaala actor Sakshi Agarwal on Rajinikanth: I was star struck when I first met him. The Indian Express (31 October 2017). Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Sakshi Agarwal's next is Kaala. Deccanchronicle.com (1 June 2017). Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Kaala actress Sakshi Agarwal to debut in Mollywood. Times of India (18 December 2017). Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Sreekumar, Priya (29 March 2018) There's a method to Sakshi Agarwal's acting. Deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved on 9 September 2019.
- Bigg Boss Tamil 3: 'Do not drag cultural differences here', Sakshi Agarwal clears the air and cries. timesnownews.com (26 July 2019) However her appearance on Bigg Boss Tamil 3 boosted her popularity and image and has leade her to sign on to appear in lead and supporting roles in a number of tamil films
- Sakshi Agarwal plays a village belle in Ezhil's comedy. Times of India (18 May 2019). Retrieved on 9 September 2019.