SFWA Manager of the Year
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Scottish Football Writers' Association Manager of the Year (often called the SFWA Manager of the Year, or simply the Scottish Manager of the Year) award is given to the manager in Scottish football who is seen to have been the best manager of the previous season. The award is voted for by the members of the Scottish Football Writers' Association.
|SFWA Manager of the Year|
|Awarded for||The outstanding manager in each given Scottish football season|
|Presented by||Scottish Football Writers' Association|
|Manager of the Season||Steve Clarke|
|Most awards||Walter Smith (7)|
The award was first given in 1987, and was won by Dundee United boss Jim McLean. The award has been won by a manager in the top division of the Scottish football league system in all but two years, 1990, when the award went to Scotland manager Andy Roxburgh and 1995 when the award was given to Jimmy Nicholl who managed Raith Rovers in the First Division. There is a similar award made by PFA Scotland, the PFA Scotland Manager of the Year, which was first given in 2007.
List of winnersEdit
As of 2019, the award has been presented 33 times and won by 22 different managers. Walter Smith (7), Martin O'Neill (3), Dick Advocaat (2), Steve Clarke (2) and Neil Lennon (2) are the managers who have won the award more than once.
Winners by clubEdit
|Club||Number of wins||Winning seasons|
|Rangers||11||1988–89, 1991–92, 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–00, 2002–03, 2007–08, 2009–10|
|Celtic||10||1987–88, 1997–98, 2000–01, 2001–02, 2003–04, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2011–12, 2012–13, 2016–17|
|Kilmarnock||3||2010–11, 2017–18, 2018–19|
|Inverness Caledonian Thistle||1||2014–15|
|Heart of Midlothian||1||2008–09|
|Scotland national team||1||1989–90|
- "Hartson wins writers' top prize". BBC Sport. 2 May 2005. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- "Strachan is writers' boss of year". BBC Sport. 13 April 2006.
- "Nakamura gets top writers' prize". BBC Sport. 2 May 2007. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- Forsyth, Roddy (13 May 2009). "Csaba Laszlo gets second Scotland manager of the year award". Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "Davis crowned player of the year". BBC Sport. 2 May 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "More awards for Izaguirre, Goodwillie and Paatelainen". BBC Sport. 15 May 2011. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- Fisher, Stewart (6 May 2012). "Title just the start for Lennon". Sunday Herald. Herald & Times Group. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- Smith, Andrew (12 May 2013). "Lennon says winning manager of year 'a privilege'". Scotland on Sunday. Johnston Publishing. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- Forsyth, Roddy (4 May 2014). "Derek McInnes hits the heights with Aberdeen after suffering pain of failure at Bristol City". Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Gordon, Moira (23 May 2015). "John Hughes still inspired by tragic Craig Gowans". Scotland on Sunday. Retrieved 24 May 2015.
- McArthur, Euan (13 May 2016). "Paatelainen's fate not lost on McIntyre as Ross County manager counts his blessings". The Herald. Herald & Times Group. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- "Steve Clarke wins SWFA Manager of the Year award". Kilmarnock FC. 13 May 2018. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- @scottishfwa (9 May 2019). "SFWA Awards shortlist - Manager of the Year sponsored by William Hill - Dick Campbell, Steve Clarke, Gary Holt, Shelley Kerr. #SFWA #Footballwriters" (Tweet). Retrieved 9 May 2019 – via Twitter.
- MacDonald, Kenny (15 May 2019). "HIGH AND DRYER". The Scottish Sun. Retrieved 16 May 2019.