SFWA Young Player of the Year
The Scottish Football Writers' Association Young Player of the Year (often called the SFWA Young Player of the Year, or simply the Scottish Young Player of the Year) award is given to the footballer in the Scottish football league system, who is seen to have been the best young (under 23) player of the previous season. The shortlist is compiled by the members of the Scottish Football Writers' Association (the SFWA), who also vote for the winner.
|SFWA Young Player of the Year|
Kieran Tierney won the award three times in consecutive seasons
|Awarded for||The outstanding young player in each given Scottish football season|
|Presented by||Scottish Football Writers' Association|
|Young Player of the Year||David Turnbull|
|Most awards||Kieran Tierney (3)|
List of winnersEdit
As of 2019, the award has been made 18 times and has been won by 15 different players. Kieran Tierney (3) and Steven Fletcher (2) are the only players to have won the award more than once. The award was first made in 2002, and was won by Motherwell forward James McFadden. As of 2019, the award was restricted to players who are eligible for selection by the Scotland national under-21 football team.
Breakdown of winnersEdit
Winners by clubEdit
|Club||Number of wins||Winning seasons|
|Celtic||4||2011–12, 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18|
|Hibernian||4||2004–05, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09|
|Dundee United||2||2010–11, 2012–13|
|Inverness Caledonian Thistle||1||2014–15|
|Heart of Midlothian||1||2003–04|
Winners by countryEdit
|Country||Number of wins||Winning seasons|
|Scotland||17||2001–02, 2003–04, 2004–05, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11, 2011–12, 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18, 2018–19|
- Fisher, Stewart (11 May 2019). "Shades of McFadden as David Turnbull scoops SFWA young player of the year award". Evening Times. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- McGarry, John [@johnmcg442] (9 May 2019). "The main player award - yes - anyone can win. For the SFWA young player you have to be eligible for Scotland under 21 team. Differs in that respect from PFA young player award" (Tweet). Retrieved 12 May 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Naismith young player of the year". BBC Sport. 14 April 2006. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Ace Fletcher doubles up young player accolade". Edinburgh Evening News. 16 May 2009.
- "Danny Wilson completes moves to Liverpool from Rangers". BBC Sport. 21 July 2010. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "More awards for Izaguirre, Goodwillie and Paatelainen". BBC Sport. 15 May 2011. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- "Neil Lennon hails Celtic duo James Forrest and Charlie Mulgrew after pair pick up awards". Daily Record. Trinity Mirror. 5 May 2012. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "Young Player of the Year Stuart Armstrong looks push on at Tannadice". Daily Record. Trinity Mirror. 18 May 2013. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Forsyth, Roddy (6 May 2014). "Rangers' former manager Alex McLeish calls for Dave King peace deal". Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Ryan Christie is Scottish football writers' young player of the year". BBC Sport. 17 May 2015. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- Friel, David (15 May 2016). "Kieran Tierney hasn't forgotten his roots after hitting big-time with Celtic". The Scottish Sun. News UK. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "Celtic's Kieran Tierney wins writers' young player of the year award". BBC Sport. 17 May 2017. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "It's a hat-trick for KT". Scottish Football Writers' Association. 7 May 2018. Retrieved 12 May 2018.