Ruler is a 2019 Indian Telugu-language action film produced by C. Kalyan under CK Entertainments & Happy Movies banners and directed by K. S. Ravikumar. It stars Nandamuri Balakrishna, Vedhika, Sonal Chauhan in the lead roles and music composed by Chirantan Bhatt. The film received negative reviews and was a financial disappointment.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||K. S. Ravikumar|
|Produced by||C. Kalyan|
|Written by||Paruchuri Murali|
(story / dialogues)
|Screenplay by||K. S. Ravikumar|
|Music by||Chirantan Bhatt|
|Edited by||John Abraham|
The film begins in 1987 when the crime rate at Uttar Pradesh summits. In that quandary, Agricultural Minister Veerandranath Tagore (Prakash Raj) brings out a resolution to develop farming as crime can be reduced by eradicating hunger. So, he gives a call for 500 farmers from Combined Andhra Pradesh headed by a wise person Seetaramaiah (Nagineedu). The Govt allocates them 5000 acres of land on lease for 30 years, thereafter, it will be their own. Years roll by, Sarojini Naidu (Jayasudha) a business tycoon moves towards Uttar Pradesh to start her new plant. On the way, she spots a stranger (Nandamuri Balakrishna) with multiple stab wounds. Sarojini Naidu admits him in the hospital, in the next minute she accompanies him in ICU due to a heart attack. Here, Sarojini Naidu facing a serious life threat from her brother-in-law Durga Prasad (Sayaji Shinde) when the stranger miraculously wakes up from the coma and saves her. Learning that the person has completely lost his memory Sarojini Naidu adopts him by providing a new identity of her deceased son Arjun Prasad. After 2 years, Arjun Prasad is a famous IT magnet. Harika (Sonal Chauhan) the chairman of a rival company tries to overpower Arjun Prasad when she falls for him. Parallelly, the Telugu farmers at Uttar Pradesh are under the severe hardship of local politician Bhavaninath Tagore (Shataf Figar). Looking at it, the resident Sandhya (Vedhika) who is shown as the love interest of Arjun Prasad in the past, files a complaint when Govt appoints a special judiciary committee. But unfortunately, when they walk in, Bhavaninath Tagore falsifies by affrighting the villagers and also poses Sandhya as insane. At the same time, Arjun Prasad smokes out that the Uttar Pradesh project has been jeopardized by Bhavaninath Tagore only, who also humiliated Sarojini Naidu very badly. Right now, enraged Arjun Prasad voices against Bhavaninath Tagore and restarts his plant. At that moment, the henchmen of Bhavaninath Tagore attack Arjun Prasad whose blood runs cold after seeing him. Simultaneously, as a flabbergast, the entire Telugu village eagerly approaches and claims him as Dharma.
Thereupon the villagers start narrating the past, Dharma is a powerful Police officer, son of Seetaramaiah who stands for justice. Aside, Niranjana Prasad (Bhumika Chawla) daughter of Veerandranath Tagore loves & marries a lower caste guy which her father heartily welcomes. During the time of their reception, Bhavaninath Tagore the younger brother of Veerandranath Tagore slaughters the bridegroom and also attempts to kill pregnant Niranjana Prasad by means of his racism & vote bank. All at once, Dharma alights, rescues and shield them in the village through Telugu farmers as gratitude. Meanwhile, avenged Bhavaninath Tagore clouts and issues a G.O to repeal the lease agreement. Veerandranath Tagore abides the farmers' agony, so, they leave the village. Just before, he asks Niranjana Prasad to stand by at the railway station and proceeds towards Bhavaninath Tagore with an appeal for the cancellation of the G.O. But malicious Bhavaninath Tagore kills him and passes an ordinance to his henchmen to eliminate Niranjana Prasad too. Tracing her whereabouts, Dharma lands into a train on time. In the combat, he is severely injured, wiped out and at this juncture, he is witnessed by Sarojini Naidu. In a flash, the story turns to present when Sarojini Naidu also affirms him as Dharma but he is unable to recall his memory. Nevertheless, he decides to encounter Bhavaninath Tagore when his heart is felt with joy knowing that Niranjana Prasad is safeguarded by the villagers and she has given birth to a baby boy named Dharma. At last, Dharma / Arjun Prasad knocks out Bhavaninath Tagore, permanently allots the lands to the farmers and declares Niranjana Prasad as the original heir of the Tagore dynasty. Finally, Sarojini Naidu departs with Harika bequeathing Dharma / Arjun Prasad as his necessity is more to the public than her business empire.
- Nandamuri Balakrishna as Dharma / Arjun Prasad
- Vedhika as Sandhya
- Sonal Chauhan as Harika
- Prakash Raj as Veerandranath Tagore
- Bhumika Chawla as Niranjana Prasad
- Shataf Figar as Bhavaninath Tagore
- Jayasudha as Sarojini Naidu
- Sayaji Shinde as Durga Prasad
- Nagineedu as Seetaramaiah
- Chalapathi Rao as Subba Rao
- Raghu Karumanchi as Arnold
- Dhanraj as Jackie Chan
- Srinivasa Reddy as Krishna Reddy
- Raghu Babu
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Chirantan Bhatt chronology|
|Singles from Ruler|
|1.||"Adugadugo Action Hero"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Saicharan Bhaskaruni||4:27|
|2.||"Padthadu Thaadu"||Bhaskarabhatla||Simha, Chandni Vijaykumar Shah||4:48|
|3.||"Sankranthi"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Swaraag Keerthan, Ramya Behara||4:35|
|4.||"Yaala Yaala"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Anurag Kulkarni, Anusha Mani||4:20|
The principal photography of the film started in July in Bangkok. The second schedule was completed in Ramoji Film City in October 2019. A melody Song is picturized on Balakrishna & Vedhika in November at Munnar.
The film released on 20 December 2019. The first look teaser on 21 November 2019 and trailer on 8 December 2019. The first single song Adugadugo Action Hero is released on 1 December 2019. Accordingly, the pre-release event held on 14 December 2019, at the MGM Grounds, VUDA Park, Visakhapatnam.
The first look of Nandamuri Balakrishna in the first of dual role as mafia don supporting beard was released in August 2019. For his role in the film, Balakrishna sported a look that was inspired from Tony Stark. The official motion poster and still image was released by C. K. Entertainments on 26 October 2019. In the second role of the dual role, Nandamuri Balakrishna is seen in police uniform with a big hammer.
The movie generally received negative reviews.The Hindu declares The film ‘Ruler’: Purely for the fans by Y. Sunita Chowdary, Balakrishna fans will like him in any form and indeed made some effort to look different, gives Vedhika returns after a long time to perform in a better role. The hero gets elevated at each level and it becomes a tale of heroic exploits and nothing else. The Times of India gives 1.5/5 rating, saying A disappointing fare: A non-existent plot, poor characterization, and amateurish filmmaking ensures this film is a big miss. 123telugu.com provides 1.5/5 rating, announcing Ruler – Old School Action Drama: The concept is old school and unnecessary scenes, the second half could be avoided totally. The director KS Ravikumar has been stuck in a time warp being unable to move on from his outdated concepts. Although Balayya impresses with his posh look, the angry cop look is very underwhelming with the horrible wig which disappoints the general audience. Whereas Mirchi-9 grants 1/5 stating Ruler is a Outdated Mass Entertainer The HANS INDIA affirms that the movie doesn't have a proper storyline, director KS Ravikumar used the same commercial formula for this movie and even the story and screenplay are also not that gripping.
- "Balayya turns golfer for his 105th movie". Telangana Today.
- "Ruler: Nandamuri Balakrishna's upcoming film with KS Ravi Kumar to release on 20 December". First Post.com.
- "Balakrishna starrer Ruler wraps up its Thailand schedule". The Times of India. 30 August 2019. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- "'Banam' fame Vedhika to romance Nandamuri Balakrishna in KS Ravi Kumar's film?". Times of India.
- "Nandamuri Balakrishna and Sonal Chauhan to team up again?". Times of India.
- "First look:Powerful Balayya as Ruler!". Tupaki. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "Bollywood music composer for NBK". Telugu Journalist.
- "Nandamuri Balakrishna starrer Ruler to release on December 20". Indian Express. 27 October 2019.
- "Ruler Movie Two Weeks Collections: Big Disaster". The Times of India.
- "Ruler: This KS Ravikumar film starring Nandamuri Balakrishna to kickstart its Bangkok schedule, details inside". in.com.
- "[Photos] NBK105 first look: Nandamuri Balakrishna and Sonal Chauhan set the screens on fire with these posters". Times Now. 1 September 2019. Retrieved 1 September 2019.
- "Balakrishna's Ruler first look released". The New Indian Express. 26 October 2019.
- "First Look: Nandamuri Balakrishna's Ruler". Telugu360.com. 26 October 2019.
- "Ruler – Melody Song". Idlebrain.com.
- "Ruler: Nandamuri Balakrishna's upcoming film with KS Ravi Kumar to release on 20 December- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost.
- "Balakrishna's film for Christmas release". Telugu Cinema.
- "Ruler teaser out: Balakrishna is back as a cop in KS Ravikumar film". India Today.
- "Ruler trailer: Nandamuri Balakrishna promises double the fun in dual roles". Hindustan Times.
- "అడుగడుగో యాక్షన్ హీరో.. అదిరిపోయిన 'రూలర్' సాంగ్". Sakshi.com.
- "NBK's Ruler pre-release event to be held on December 14". The Times of India.
- "Balakrishna sports stylish look for upcoming flick 'Ruler'". The News Minute. 21 August 2019. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "బాలకృష్ణ సినిమా టైటిల్ను బయటపెట్టేసిన జెమిని టీవీ". Samayam Telugu. 16 October 2019.
- "I’m Stark… Nandamuri Tony Stark!". Deccanchronicle.com (19 December 2019). Retrieved on 2020-02-24.
- Ruler Motion Poster – Nandamuri Balakrishna, Sonal Chauhan – KS Ravi Kumar – C Kalyan. C. K. Entertainments. YouTube. 26 October 2019.
- "Ruler (Review 1)". The Hindu.
- "Ruler (Review 2)". The Times of India.
- "Ruler (Review 3)". 123 telugu.com.
- "Ruler (Review 4)". Mirchi-9.
- "Balakrishna's Ruler Movie Review & Rating". The HANS INDIA.