|• Mayor (2018–24)||Jörg Reichl|
|• Total||135.17 km2 (52.19 sq mi)|
|Elevation||195 m (640 ft)|
|• Density||180/km2 (470/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Vehicle registration||SLF, RU|
The former capital of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, the town is built along the River Saale inside a wide valley surrounded by woods. Rudolstadt was founded in 776 and has had municipal law since 1326. The town's landmark is the Castle Heidecksburg which is enthroned on a hill above the old town. The former municipality Remda-Teichel was merged into Rudolstadt in January 2019.
There is archeological evidence of a hill fort on the Weinberg in Oberpreilipp from the time of the late Urnfield culture and the early Iron Age. A Celtic settlement followed the Germanic one and the affiliation with the Duchy of Thuringia. From the 6th century onwards, archeological records suggest Slavic settlement in the area.
Number of Inhabitants (from 1960 as of 31 December, unless otherwise indicated):
1834 to 1960
1970 to 1997
1998 to 2005
2006 to 2013
- Data since 1994: Thuringian Statistical Office
1 29 October
2 31 August
Since 2012 Rudolstadt hosts Getting tough race (German wiki), Europe's hardest obstacle race.
The main sights of Rudolstadt on OpenstreetMap.
- Princess Anna Sophie of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, grandmother of King Leopold I of Belgium, great-grandmother to Albert, Prince Consort of the United Kingdom
- Christian Nikolaus Eberlein (1720–1788), historical painter
- Traugott Maximilian Eberwein, German composer, worked here as the composer in residence for the Rudolstadt theatre
- Philipp Heinrich Erlebach, German composer and choirmaster in Rudolstadt
- Hans Fallada, German writer. He went to school in Rudolstadt, it was here that he killed his friend Hans Dietrich von Necker in a duel
- Ahasverus Fritsch, German poet and composer
- Simone Lange, German politician (SPD)
- Franz Liszt, Hungarian composer worked here as the composer in residence for the Rudolstadt theatre
- Niccolò Paganini, Italian composer, worked here as the composer in residence for the Rudolstadt theatre
- Charlotte von Lengefeld (1766–1826), wife of Schiller
- Richard Wagner, German composer, worked here as the composer in residence for the Rudolstadt theatre
- Gewählte Bürgermeister - aktuelle Landesübersicht, Freistaat Thüringen, accessed 14 July 2021.
- "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden, erfüllenden Gemeinden und Verwaltungsgemeinschaften in Thüringen Gebietsstand: 31.12.2020". Thüringer Landesamt für Statistik (in German). June 2021.
- Michael Köhler: Thüringer Burgen und befestigte vor- und frühgeschichtliche Wohnplätze. Jenzig-Verlag Köhler, Jena 2001, ISBN 3-910141-43-9. p. 270.
- Wolfgang Kahl, Hansjürgen Müllerott (2002), Die Vor- und Frühgeschichte Rudolstadts mit den Annalen von 775–786 bis 1503 und einem Exkurs aus der Geschichte Saalfelds (in German), Arnstadt: Thüringer-Chronik-Verlag H. E. Müllerott, p. 128, ISBN 3-910132-73-1
- Official website of TFF.Rudolstadt Archived 2006-02-04 at the Wayback Machine
- "Donegal Councillor Ian McGarvey immortalised in wine". Donegal News. 29 March 2019. Archived from the original on 30 March 2019.
- "The main sights of Rudolstadt on OpenstreetMap". landausblick.de. Retrieved 1 July 2022.
- Official website (in German)