March 9, 1952
|Area(s)||Writer, Penciller, Inker|
The Batman Adventures|
|Awards||Eisner Award, 1996, 1999|
Burchett began his artistic career in St. Louis, Missouri, and did his early professional comics work at First Comics, Pacific Comics, Capital Comics, and AC Comics; on titles including Black Diamond, E-Man, American Flagg!, Great American Western, and The Phantom. Moving to DC Comics (as well as the DC imprints Impact Comics and Vertigo), Burchett's first work for the company was on Blackhawk, followed by titles like Batman, The Flash, Superman, Black Hood, Wonder Woman, The Justice League, and Green Lantern.
Around 1985, Burchett and artist Don Secrease met a young aspiring artist and fellow St. Louis citizen named Jim Lee, and convinced him that he needed to show his portfolio to editors in person, prompting Lee's decision to attend a New York comics convention, where he met editor Archie Goodwin.
Burchett received the Eisner Award in 1996 with Paul Dini and Ty Templeton for his work on The Batman and Robin Adventures. He shared the Eisner Award again in 1999, with Templeton and Terry Beatty, for his work on Batman: The Gotham Adventures.
In 2006 he became the ongoing penciller on Marvel Comics' She-Hulk with writer and former Batman Adventures collaborator Dan Slott. As of 2011, he is the artist for The All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold, the comic book tie-in to the Batman: The Brave and the Bold animated television series. Also in 2011, Burchett became the artist for the ongoing webcomic Lady Sabre and the Pirates of the Ineffable Aether, written by Greg Rucka. In 2017, he rejoined Ty Templeton in creating a new DC digital comic, Harley Quinn and Batman.
Burchett continues to live in the St. Louis area.
- Miller, John Jackson (June 10, 2005). "Comics Industry Birthdays". Comics Buyer's Guide. Archived from the original on October 30, 2010. Retrieved December 12, 2010.
- "Rick Burchett". Lambiek Comiclopedia. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- Kerman, Byron (July 2010). "Comic Genius". St. Louis Magazine. Archived from the original on August 7, 2011.
- Lee, Jim; Baker, Bill Baker. Icons: The DC Comics & Wildstorm Art of Jim Lee Titan Books, 2010, pp. 8 and 10
- "1996 Will Eisner Comic Industry Award Nominees and Winners," HahnLibrary.net.
- "1999 Will Eisner Comic Industry Award Nominees Winners". HahnLibrary.net.
- Lady Sabre and the Pirates of the Ineffable Aether
- "An Animated New Comic for Harley Quinn and Her Best Pal... Batman," DC Comics, July 5, 2017.
- "Tom Batiuk Picks New Artists for His Comics". King Features Syndicate. March 29, 2017. Retrieved September 5, 2017.
- Rick Burchett at the Comic Book DB
|This profile of an American comics creator, writer, or artist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|