Richard Wilhelm (sinologist)
This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Richard Wilhelm (10 May 1873 – 2 March 1930) was a German sinologist, theologian, and missionary. He lived in China for 25 years, became fluent in spoken and written Chinese, and grew to love and admire the Chinese people. He is best remembered for his translations of philosophical works from Chinese into German that in turn have been translated into other major languages of the world, including English. His translation of the I Ching is still regarded as one of the finest, as is his translation of The Secret of the Golden Flower; both were provided with introductions by the Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung, who was a personal friend.
Richard Wilhelm (c. 1925)
|Died||2 March 1930 (aged 56)|
|Known for||I Ching (Yi jing) translation|
|Institutions||University of Frankfurt|
- Carl Jung on Richard Wilhelm Retrieved August 27, 2010
- Taylor, Wong. "Rediscovering a Chinese legend: The untold wartime tale of Dr Li Linsi". China Daily.
- Busche, Christian; Schiller, Beate. "The Richard Wilhelm Translation Centre". www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de. Retrieved 2020-08-03.
- Hentze, Carl (1930). "Richard Wilhelm". Artibus Asiae (in French). 3 (4): 232–5.
- Pelliot, Paul (1930). "Nécrologie – Richard Wilhelm". T'oung Pao (in French). 27 (2/3): 237–9.
- Lackner, Michael. "Richard Wilhelm, a 'Sinicized' German Translator." (Archive) In: Alleton, Vivianne and Michael Lackner (editors). De l'un au multiple: traductions du chinois vers les langues européennes Translations from Chinese into European Languages. Éditions de la maison des sciences de l'homme (Les Editions de la MSH, FR), 1999, Paris. p. 86-97. ISBN 273510768X, 9782735107681.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Richard Wilhelm (sinologist)|
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:|
- Richard Wilhelm (sinologist) in the German National Library catalogue
- Das Buch der Wandlungen, German translation
- Laotse - Tao Te King, German translation
- I Ching Translated by Richard Wilhelm, English translation
- Works by Richard Wilhelm at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Richard Wilhelm at Internet Archive
- Works by Richard Wilhelm at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
- Newspaper clippings about Richard Wilhelm in the 20th Century Press Archives of the ZBW
|This biography about a translator from Germany is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|