|Full name||Rex Bernice Baxter, Jr.|
|Born||February 28, 1936|
|College||University of Houston|
|Former tour(s)||PGA Tour|
|Number of wins by tour|
|Best results in major championships|
|Masters Tournament||34th: 1957|
|PGA Championship||T68: 1972|
|U.S. Open||T40: 1965|
|The Open Championship||DNP|
A native of Amarillo, Texas, Baxter won the U.S. Junior Amateur at Tulsa's Southern Hills Country Club in 1953. He attended the University of Houston, where he was an All-American member of the golf team and individually the 1957 NCAA national champion.
Baxter was inducted into the University of Houston Athletics Hall of Honor in 1971; he was the first member of the golf team to receive this honor. After his playing days on the PGA Tour were over, Baxter worked as a club pro at various clubs including Beechmont Country Club in Cleveland, Ohio, Glen Oaks Country Club on Long Island, High Ridge in Lantana, Florida, and as an instructor for Golf Digest Schools at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.
Amateur wins (5)Edit
Professional wins (4)Edit
PGA Tour wins (1)Edit
|No.||Date||Tournament||Winning score||Margin of
|1||Nov 24, 1963||Cajun Classic Open Invitational||−9 (68-71-68-68=275)||2 strokes||Bob Shave Jr.|
Other wins (3)Edit
U.S. national team appearancesEdit
- Diamondhead Cup/PGA Cup: 1974 (winners), 1976 (winners)
- Tramel, Jimmy (August 5, 2007). "A look at the major events that have shaped Southern Hills Country Club". Tulsa World.
- "Biographical information from University of Houston Athletics official site". Retrieved January 7, 2008. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "First win by Baxter". The Edmonton Journal. Associated Press. November 25, 1963. p. 7.
- "Golf Major Championships". Retrieved January 7, 2008. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Patton, Robes (September 10, 1989). "Designer Clubhouses IF Your Country Club's A Bit Dull, Jane Baxter Can Help". Sun Sentinel.