Resources Industry Development Board
The Resources Industry Development Board (RIDB) was formed in 2000 to enhance the growth of the state of South Australia's mineral and petroleum resources sector and its contribution to the state's economy. It was formed in response to recommendations of the Resources Task Force made the previous year. The RIDB provided advice to the Minister for Mineral Resources and Energy and the state government. There was a high degree of inter-activity with the Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA) Division of Minerals and Energy which also provided the Board's secretariat.
As of 2014, the board's key objectives were:
- Making land more accessible
- Stimulating vibrant exploration activity
- Expediting sustainable development, production and processing
During its first five years, the RIDB successfully engaged the Economic Development Board to raise the profile of the resources sector. In 2004, this resulted in the sector being recognised as one of the four key potential growth areas in the state's Second Economic Summit. The resources sector was not mentioned at the First Economic Summit. The RIDB also met with the Minister for Environment and Conservation, Hon John Hill to highlight key issues for the resources industry. These included increasing access to parks and reserves and the management of zones within reserves.
The RIDB developed a strategy for the targeted promotion of the sector to opinion leaders and corporate decision makers. The project aimed to identify and engage people who influence community opinion to alter the community's perception of the resources industry. The targets of the strategy included church leaders, sporting identities, councils, business leaders, service and community organisations, politicians, bureaucrats, media personalities, unions and conservation groups.
In 2014, members of the Board (and their relevant industry affiliations) included:
- Keith Yates - Adelaide Resources
- Dr Paul Heithersay
- Dr Ian Gould - Rio Tinto & University of South Australia
- Hon Roger Goldsworthy
- George McKenzie - Finlaysons
- Tino Guglielmo - Ambassador Oil & Gas, ex-Stuart Petroleum
- John Roberts - South Australian Chamber of Mines and Energy
- Derek Carter - Petratherm, Mithril Resources, Blackthorne Resources
- Pauline Carr - Grange Resources
- Richard Yeeles - BHP Billiton & Toro Energy
- Alice McCleary - Archer Exploration & Uranium SA
- Hon Paul Holloway
Former members of the RIDB include:
- "Resources Industry Development Board". Department of State Development. Government of South Australia. 2014. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- MESA Journal 25. Adelaide, South Australia: Government of South Australia. 2004. pp. 22–23.
- "Minerals & Energy Advisory Council". Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Members of the RIDB". Department of State Development. Government of South Australia. 2014. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "George McKenzie". Finlaysons. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "Resources Industry Development Board". PIRSA. Government of South Australia. 2012. Archived from the original on 26 March 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2014.