Regent Hotels & Resorts
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Regent Hotels & Resorts is a luxury hospitality brand, since July 2018 jointly owned by InterContinental Hotels Group and Formosa International Hotels Corporation, with hotels and resorts in Asia and Europe. Since the formation of the joint-venture, the brand logo and monogram have been refreshed and works have begun to re-position the brand again at the top end of the luxury hotel segment.
|Headquarters||Denham, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom|
|Owner||InterContinental Hotels Group (51%)|
Formosa International Hotels Corporation (49%)
The brand was started by hotelier Robert H. Burns as a joint venture with Japan's Tokyu Group in 1970. In 1986, EIE International acquired a 35% stake. When Burns decided to sell his remaining 65% stake in 1992, EIE exercised its right of first refusal to acquire the entire company, which was then promptly sold to the Four Seasons hotel chain. Hotels under development at the time of purchase in Bali, Milan, New York, and Istanbul were subsequently opened as Four Seasons. In 1998, Carlson acquired the Regent name for new hotel developments and created a luxury hotel division while the Four Seasons continued managing existing and new Regent hotels.
In 2008, Regent Seven Seas Cruises was sold to Apollo Management, an investment company. Carlson retained ownership of the master Regent brand, along with the operations of Regent Hotels & Resorts around the world.
In 2010, Carlson sold the Regent Hotel business to Formosa International Hotels, the largest listed hotel operator in Taiwan and owner of Grand Formosa Regent Taipei hotel in Taipei, Taiwan, which was opened by Regent's founders in 1990 as The Regent Taipei.
Co-founder Robert Burns was appointed Honorary Chairman and Ralf Ohletz president. Ohletz had worked with another Regent co-founder, Adrian Zecha, for 25 years.
In March 2018, the InterContinental Hotel Group (IHG) announced that it has agreed to buy a 51% majority stake in Regent Hotels for $39 million and hopes to expand the brand's footprints to 40 hotels from the current six hotels.
- Regent Berlin - opened in 1996 as Four Seasons Hotel Berlin, converted to Regent in 2004
- Regent Porto Montenegro - opened 2014
- Regent Beijing - opened 2006
- Regent Taipei - opened 1990
- Regent Singapore - opened 1988 as The Pavilion Inter-Continental Singapore, converted to Regent and managed by Four Seasons Hotel 1992. Following Regent's takeover by Carlson hotels in 1998, the hotel was rebranded as 'Regent Singapore, A Four Seasons Hotel' to distinguish it from other Regent hotels that were not managed by Four Seasons. Pontiac Land Group, of which the owner of the hotel, and Four Seasons, mutually agreed not to extend the management contract when it expired on 12/31/18. It was originally planned to have the hotel managed by Capella Hotel Group, an affiliate of Pontiac Land Group, yet a management contract with InterContinental Hotels Group was signed whereby the hotel stays within Regent's portfolio.
- Regent Chongqing - opened 2017
- The Regent Beverly Wilshire, Beverly Hills, California - currently Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
- Mark Hopkins Hotel, San Francisco - currently InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
- The Regent of Washington, D.C. - currently The Westin Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
- The Regent Bal Harbour, Miami - currently The Ritz-Carlton Bal Harbour
- The Regent South Beach, Miami - currently Crowne Plaza South Beach - Z Ocean Hotel
- Halekulani, Honolulu, Hawaii - currently independent
- Hawaiian Regent Hotel, Honolulu, Hawaii - first hotel in the chain, opened 1971, currently Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
- Kapalua Bay Hotel, Kapalua, Hawaii - currently independent
- The Mayfair Regent of Chicago - currently Mayfair Condominiums
- The Regent Las Vegas - currently JW Marriott Las Vegas
- The Regent of Albuquerque, New Mexico - currently DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Albuquerque
- The Mayfair Regent of New York - currently 610 Park Avenue condominiums
- The Regent Wall Street - currently Cipriani Club Residences at 55 Wall Street
- Le Parc-Régent, Montreal, Quebec - currently McGill University New Residence Hall
- Cerromar Beach Hotel, Puerto Rico - later Hyatt Regency Cerromar Beach Resort, closed since 2003
- Dorado Beach Hotel, Puerto Rico - later Hyatt Dorado Beach, demolished to build Dorado Beach, a Ritz Carlton Reserve
- The Regent Palms Turks & Caicos - currently The Palms Turks & Caicos
- The Regent Esplanade Zagreb, Croatia - currently independent
- The Regent Grand Hotel Bordeaux, France - currently Inter-Continental Bordeaux Le Grand Hotel
- The Regent Almaty, Kazakhstan - currently InterContinental Almaty
- The Dorchester - operated 1985-1990, currently part of the Dorchester Collection chain
- The Regent London, UK - currently The Landmark London
- The Regent Shanghai, China - currently The Longemont Shanghai
- The Regent, Hong Kong - currently InterContinental Hong Kong, to return under the Regent flag in 2021
- The Regent Bali, Indonesia - later independent, currently Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
- The Regent Jakarta, Indonesia - opened 1995, renamed Four Seasons Hotel Jakarta 2004, closed 2016
- The Regent Okinawa, Okinawa, Japan - currently The Naha Terrace
- The Regent of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - currently Parkroyal Kuala Lumpur
- The Regent Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - currently Grand Millennium Kuala Lumpur
- The Regent of Manila, Philippines - caught fire in 1985, currently The Heritage Hotel Manila
- Galle Face Hotel, Colombo, Sri Lanka - currently independent
- The President Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand - currently Holiday Inn Bangkok
- Indra Regent Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand - currently independent, though still using the same name
- The Regent of Bangkok, Thailand - later Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok, currently Anantara Siam Bangkok Hotel
- The Regent Phuket Cape Panwa, Thailand - currently Amatara Wellness Resort
- The Regent of Melbourne, Australia - currently Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
- The Regent of Sydney, Australia - currently Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
- The Regent of Auckland - currently Stamford Plaza Auckland
- The Regent of Fiji - currently The Westin Denarau Island Resort
The following property developments were terminated before opening:
- The Regent Bali, Indonesia - opened 1992 as Four Seasons Resort Bali at Jimbaran Bay
- The Regent New York, New York City - opened 1993 as Four Seasons Hotel New York
- The Regent Milan, Italy - opened 1993 as Four Seasons Milano
- The Regent Bangkok, Thailand - planned in 2004, stalled for many years, opened 2018 as Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit
- The Regent Boston at Battery Wharf - opened 2009 as Fairmont Battery Wharf, currently Battery Wharf Hotel
- The Regent Kuwait, Kuwait - planned opening 2007, opened 2013 as Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel and Spa
- The Regent Doha, Qatar - planned opening 2013, opened 2016 as The Westin Doha Hotel & Spa
- The Regent Abu Dhabi, UAE - planned opening 2013, opened 2018 as Grand Hyatt Abu Dhabi Hotel & Residences Emirates Pearl
- The Regent Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - planned opening 2015, never materialized
- Regent Place Xian, Xi'an, China - planned opening 2017
- Regent Place Harbin, Harbin, China - planned opening 2017
- The Regent Suzhou, China - planned opening 2018
- The Regent Ningbo, China - planned opening 2005, opening TBD as HUALUXE Ningbo Harbor City (managed by InterContinental Hotels Group)
- The Regent Budapest, Hungary - planned opening 2007, opening 2020 as W Budapest
- "Regent Hotels & Resorts Returns to Asia: Announces New Global Leadership Team". Hospitality net.org. 2010-07-08.
- "Carlson Hospitality Worldwide And Four Seasons/Regent To Enter Into An Agreement To Aggressively Grow Regent Brand Globally". Carlson (Press release).
- "Rezidor SAS Hospitality". CatererSearch.com. 2006-06-28.
- Godwin, Nadine (2006-03-13). "Carlson renames cruise line Regent Seven Seas". Travel Weekly.
- "Apollo Management L.P. Acquires Regent Seven Seas Cruises". PR Newswire (Press release).
- Black, Sam (2010-04-18). "Carlson selling Regent luxury hotel business". Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal.
- Tan, Jason (2010-04-17). "Formosa Hotels acquires 'Regent' business". Taipei Times.
- "About The Regent Taipei". GrandFormosa.com.
- "InterContinental Hotels buys majority stake in Regent Hotels". Reuters. 2018-03-14. Retrieved 2018-03-14.