Rahul Rawail is an Indian film director in Bollywood known for his films like Love Story (1981), Betaab (1983), Arjun (1985), Dacait (1987), Anjaam (1994), Arjun Pandit (1999) and the recent one Jo Bole So Nihaal (2005). He was nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Director twice. He is son of film director H. S. Rawail and his son Bharat is an upcoming director. Rawail has launched a few of the Bollywood actors through his films like Kumar Gaurav and Vijeta Pandit in Love Story, Sunny Deol and Amrita Singh in Betaab, Kajol in Bekhudi (1992), and Aishwarya Rai in Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya (1997).
|Born||1951 (age 68–69)|
Career and personal lifeEdit
Rahul Rawail is son of film director Harnam Singh Rawail (often credited as H. S. Rawail) who is known for his films Mere Mehboob (1963), Sunghursh (1968), Mehboob Ki Mehndi (1971) and Laila Majnu (1976). Rawail paid tribute to his father's 1968 film Sunghursh by titling one of his films as Jeevan Ek Sanghursh (1990). Rahul's son Bharat Rawail is an upcoming director, who had assisted Yash Chopra for the film Jab Tak Hai Jaan (2012).
Rawail began his career as assistant to Raj Kapoor  and debuted as director with 1980 Bollywood film Gunehgaar starring Parveen Babi, Rishi Kapoor, Rajendra Kumar, and Asha Parekh. His first two films were not successful but his third film Love Story (1981) starring débutante Kumar Gaurav and Vijeta Pandit was a turning point for his career. The film was a musical love story and was a commercial success. Since then, Rawail has directed seventeen films and two television series. He has often collaborated with actor Sunny Deol who worked with Rawail on six of his films, including his debut film Betaab (1983) with Amrita Singh. The film was appreciated for Rawail's "breezy treatment" of the débutantes. Rawail launched two successful actresses of Bollywood, Kajol and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, through his films Bekhudi (1992) and Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya (1997) respectively. Both the films did not do well commercially. He was nominated for Filmfare's Best Director award for the films Betaab (1983) and Arjun (1985).
In 2010, Rawail started an acting school in collaboration with the Stella Adler Studio of Acting, New York City. In spite of famous Bollywood personalities like Sunny Deol enrolling their children to the academy, it was shut down after 2 years in 2012.
|1990||Jeevan Ek Sanghursh|
|1997||Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya|
|2001||Kuch Khatti Kuch Meethi|
|2005||Jo Bole So Nihaal|
|2007||Buddha Mar Gaya|
- "FIR lodged against Rahul Rawail and family". Hindustan Times. 1 October 2012. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- Subhash K. Jha (21 September 2004). "H.S. Rawail: death of a faded giant". India Glitz. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- Kumar, Anuj (15 May 2009). "Friday Review: Sunghursh (1968)". The Hindu. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "SRK, Anushka, Adi to attend Rahul Rawail's son's wedding". Times of India. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- Kahlon, Sukhpreet. "Raj Kapoor was a great teacher: Rahul Rawail on learning the ropes from master filmmaker". Cinestaan.com. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- Kumar, Anuj (12 May 2005). "Jo Bole... So Rawail". The Hindu. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Verma, Sukanya (3 June 2013). "Sunny Deol's 10 Career Best performances". Mumbai: Rediff.com. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Love Story... Again: Meet Rahul Rawail's new leading lady". The Times of India. Mumbai. 6 January 2014. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Filmfare Awards Nominations – 1983". India Times. Archived from the original on 8 July 2012. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Filmfare Awards Nominations – 1986". India Times. Archived from the original on 26 January 2013. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Shah, Kunal M (14 December 2010). "Anupam Kher's upset with Rahul Rawail?". The Times of India. Mumbai. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Lalwani, Vickey (19 September 2012). "Rawail's acting school shuts shop?". Mumbai Mirror. Mumbai. The Times of India. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Sunny Deol's son joins Rahul Rawail's acting school". Zee News. Mumbai. 24 November 2010. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rahul Rawail.|