Prison School (
Cover of the first manga volume featuring Kiyoshi Fujino.
|Written by||Akira Hiramoto|
|Magazine||Weekly Young Magazine|
|Original run||February 7, 2011 – December 25, 2017|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Tsutomu Mizushima|
|Written by||Michiko Yokote|
|Music by||Kōtarō Nakagawa|
|Original network||Tokyo MX, KBS, Sun TV, TV Aichi, BS11, AT-X|
|Original run||July 11, 2015 – September 26, 2015|
|Directed by||Noboru Iguchi|
|Original network||MBS, TBS|
|Original run||October 26, 2015 – December 21, 2015|
|Original animation DVD|
|Directed by||Tsutomu Mizushima|
|Written by||Michiko Yokote|
|Music by||Kōtarō Nakagawa|
|Released||March 4, 2016|
Hachimitsu Academy, one of the strictest girls' academies in Tokyo, has decided to admit boys into their system. Kiyoshi Fujino is one of these new boys, but he discovers to his shock that he and his four friends—Takehito "Gakuto" Morokuzu, Shingo Wakamoto, Jouji "Joe" Nezu, and Reiji "Andre" Andou—are the only male students among 1,000 girls. The draconian laws that are still in place make the school even worse, which punishes even the most minor infractions with a stay in the school's prison. The five boys all commit to voyeurism in the school's bathing area with the perverted philosophy of "all for one, one for all". Their capture and "arrest" by the Underground Student Council causes the five boys to receive an ultimatum: either stay a month in the school's Prison Block or be expelled. The boys are incarcerated in the Prison Block together and Kiyoshi is overwhelmed by the discovery that all the other boys are masochists that revel in the punishments handed to them by their attractive but vicious supervisors.
- Kiyoshi Fujino (藤野 清志 Fujino Kiyoshi)
- Voiced by: Hiroshi Kamiya (Japanese); Austin Tindle (English)
- Portrayed by: Taishi Nakagawa
- Kiyoshi is the main character of the series, having enrolled from the same middle school as Shingo. He is the first boy in Hachimitsu Academy to make contact with a girl when he befriends Chiyo, whom he develops feelings for. Although not very bright, he often comes up with the most successful plans when he's at the end of his rope. Due to several embarrassing mishaps, he becomes a regular target of Hana while in prison. So far, he is the only one of the five boys to have been sent to prison more than once. When the ASC takes over and during his second imprisonment, he becomes an ally to Mari who is also a prisoner.
- Takehito Morokuzu (諸葛 岳人 Morokuzu Takehito)
- Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi (Japanese); Eric Vale (English)
- Portrayed by: Tokio Emoto
- Nicknamed "Gakuto", he is the bespectacled boy in the group. He has an otaku interest in the Three Kingdoms, having enrolled from the same middle school as Joe. He often uses old-fashioned speech and is highly eccentric, often regarding to himself in third person as "yours truly." While in prison, he's a regular target of Meiko's abuse. Despite his perverted behavior, he is shown to be an excellent strategist who would employ tactics he would reference from famed generals of either The Three Kingdoms or other ancient battles. A skill that has proven very useful in most of their plans. His love interest is Mitsuko. Due to his strategic intellect and willingness to sacrifice everything for his friends, Gakuto has quickly become a popular character in the series.
- Shingo Wakamoto (若本 真吾 Wakamoto Shingo)
- Voiced by: Kenichi Suzumura (Japanese); Clifford Chapin (English)
- Portrayed by: Masato Yano
- Shingo is a blonde who looks like a delinquent. His love interest is Anzu, and he is shown to be a strong pessimist. He attended the same middle school as Kiyoshi. After Kiyoshi's breakout attempt, he completely disowns and singles him out until after the USC tricks him into breaking out.
- Jōji Nezu (根津 譲二 Nezu Jōji)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Namikawa (Japanese); Christopher Bevins (English)
- Portrayed by: Daiki Miyagi
- Nicknamed "Joe", he is the "misfit" of the five and has a natural interest in ants. He is always seen hooded with his head obscured and has a weak physique, suffering from a bloody cough stemming from a non-fatal form of severe stomatitis. Joe attended the same middle school as Gakuto. His love interest is Sato.
- Reiji Andō (安堂 麗治 Andō Reiji)
- Voiced by: Kazuyuki Okitsu (Japanese); Sonny Strait (English)
- Portrayed by: Galigaligalixon
- Nicknamed "Andre", he is the fat one of the group. He cares deeply about his friends, and is also an extreme masochist. He is fixated on Meiko and constantly craves punishment from her. Later on, he also develops strong feelings for Risa, which Kate easily takes advantage of.
Underground student councilEdit
- Mari Kurihara (栗原 万里 Kurihara Mari)
- Voiced by: Sayaka Ohara (Japanese); Tia Ballard (English)
- Portrayed by: Hirona Yamazaki
- Mari is the president of the underground student council. She is the daughter of Hachimitsu Academy's chairman and the sister of Chiyo. A cold and calculating figure who seeks to uphold the school's traditions and rules. From the very beginning she immediately despises the boys, and the chairman's decision of integrating the academy. Much of this stems from her own resentment of her father's perverted behavior. In middle school, Mari helped Meiko stand up for herself when she was bullied by Kate, and the two have remained close friends ever since. She, like the rest of the Kurihara family, employs a strange philosophy to judge one's character. Her philosophy is, "Anyone who likes crows isn't all bad."
- Meiko Shiraki (白木 芽衣子 Shiraki Meiko)
- Voiced by: Shizuka Itō (Japanese); Whitney Rodgers (English)
- Portrayed by: Asana Mamoru
- Meiko is the towering bespectacled vice president of the underground student council. She is put in charge of watching over the boys while they are in prison. In middle school, she was bullied for her large breasts. The strongest student in the school, and proficient in Judo, Meiko is a harsh disciplinarian over the boys, and often punishes them for the slightest infraction, with Gakuto being a popular target. Although a powerful and intimidating figure, she deeply fears displeasing Mari, which manifests itself in body-wide excessive sweating. Similarly, she enjoys performing calisthenics, and is often seen comically performing odd exercises with a large puddle of sweat underneath her. Aside from working out, she has been shown to have a knack for cooking. Because of her voluptuous/athletic physique, her school uniform barely manages to hide her body often leading to comical wardrobe malfunctions.
- Hana Midorikawa (緑川 花 Midorikawa Hana)
- Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa (Japanese); Alexis Tipton (English)
- Portrayed by: Aoi Morikawa
- Hana is the secretary of the underground student council. She mostly ends up in the worst situations with Kiyoshi, whom she eventually develops feelings for. She is also an adept martial artist, often utilizing her karate skills to brutally punish the boys if Meiko's harsh punishment doesn't work. Although she seems composed and competent, she is actually incredibly childish and understands little of boys or and fails to adapt to situations she does not expect. After her release from prison, she acts as Mari's spy for the Above Ground Student council.
Aboveground student councilEdit
- Kate Takenomiya (竹ノ宮 ケイト Takenomiya Keito)
- Voiced by: Ami Koshimizu (Japanese); Kristin Sutton (English)
- Kate is the president of the aboveground student council and Mari's rival from middle school. She is the one who refers the USC to a prison sentence when they are found guilty of sabotaging the boys' sentence. She then continues to torment the USC once in prison. Proficient in Aikido, and a master manipulator, Kate manages to turn the entire school against the USC, and quickly becomes a ruthless and persistent adversary to Mari and the boys, when they decide to help them. In the anime, she is seen in the epilogue of the final episode, narrating the Underground Student Council's prison sentencing to the chairman.
- Risa Bettō (別当 リサ Bettō Risa)
- Risa is the vice president of the aboveground student council. She harbors a strong love for Andre and employs sadistic techniques to please him. Because of this, she develops a strong dislike for Meiko. She is also shown to be very skilled at kendo, capable of fighting off both Meiko and Hana, as well as a proficient motorcyclist in spite of her young age and minor status. In the anime, she is seen in the epilogue of the final episode, threatening Meiko should she attack Kate for demeaning Mari.
- Mitsuko Yokoyama (横山 みつ子 Yokoyama Mitsuko)
- Voiced by: Mikako Takahashi
- Mitsuko is the secretary of the aboveground student council and Anzu's cousin. She has romantic feelings for Gakuto and is highly clumsy, which Kate often exploits. Kiyoshi refers to her as the "'Rube Goldberg' of Klutzes" because of her clumsiness. She writes yaoi manga as a hobby. In the anime, she is seen in the epilogue of the final episode, reaching for a book at the same time as Gakuto in the library.
- Chairman Kurihara (理事長 Rijichō)
- Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara (Japanese); Smokey DeLange (English)
- Portrayed by: Masahiro Takashima
- He is the chairman at Hachimitsu Academy and father of Mari and Chiyo. He is wealthy but perverted. He often sympathizes with the boys. He is a self-proclaimed "ass-man", keeping various photos of female posteriors in his office, even looking at them while scheduling appointments with other characters. He, like the rest of the Kurihara family employs a strange philosophy to judge one's character. His philosophy is, "Anyone who likes butts isn't all bad".
- Chiyo Kurihara (栗原 千代 Kurihara Chiyo)
- Voiced by: Chinami Hashimoto (Japanese); Kristen McGuire (English)
- Portrayed by: Rena Takeda
- Chiyo is Kiyoshi's classmate and watches sumo wrestling as a hobby. Kiyoshi has a crush on her, however it is not known whether she reciprocates this or not. She is Mari's sister and has deep respect for her. She, like the rest of the Kurihara family employs a strange philosophy to judge one's character. Her philosophy is, "Anyone who likes sumo wrestling isn't all bad".
- Anzu Yokoyama (横山 杏子 Yokoyama Anzu)
- Voiced by: Yō Taichi (Japanese); Colleen Clinkenbeard (English)
- Portrayed by: Yuko Araki
- Anzu is a former spy for the Underground Student Council and Mitsuko's cousin. She has romantic feelings for Shingo, and is a year older than him.
- Satō (佐藤)
- Voiced by: Nana Hamasaki
- A student at Hachimitsu Academy; the love interest of Joe. She unwittingly stops Joe from returning to imprisonment. She only appears in the OVA.
- Mayumi Tanaka (田中 マユミ Tanaka Mayumi)
- Voiced by: Ami Nanase (Japanese); Lara Woodhull (English)
- Portrayed by: Yufu Terashima
- Chiyo's best friend who is most often seen in her company, and aided her in warning the boys of their impending expulsion.
Prison School is a manga written and illustrated by Akira Hiramoto. It began serialization in Kodansha's Weekly Young Magazine on February 7, 2011, and it concluded on December 25, 2017. Yen Press licensed the series in North America, and published it in omnibus volumes containing two volumes each.
An anime television series adaptation is directed by Tsutomu Mizushima at J.C. Staff with Michiko Yokote as the series scriptwriter and Junichiro Taniguchi as the character designer and chief animation director. The anime was broadcast on Tokyo MX, KBS, Sun TV, TV Aichi and BS11 between July and September 2015. The voice actors of the five male main characters performed the opening and ending theme songs under the group name Kangoku Danshi. An original animation DVD was bundled with the limited edition 20th volume of the manga that was released on March 4, 2016. The OAD adapted the manga's Mad Wax arc.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"The Peep Job"|
"Nozoki Daisakusen" (ノゾキ大作戦)
|July 11, 2015|
|Out of the thousand girls attending Hachimitsu Academy, five best friends—Kiyoshi Fujino, Takehito "Gakuto" Morokuzu, Shingo Wakamoto, Jouji "Joe" Nezu, and Reiji "Andre" Andou—are the only boys in the school. Kiyoshi meets Chiyo Kurihara, an avid sumo fan and becomes the first of the five to have talked to a girl; they decide to go to a sumo tournament. Later, Kiyoshi's friends formulate a plan to record video of the girls' baths. When Kiyoshi drops his phone inside the bathroom, he sneaks in to retrieve it. Chiyo discovers him, but mistakes him for her friend Mayumi. However, the Underground Student Council (USC) catches Kiyoshi's friends, and ultimately Kiyoshi is also caught by their President, Mari Kurihara. As punishment, the five are sentenced to one month in the school's prison, where Kiyoshi becomes awestruck at the guys' masochistic outlooks after the constant abuse by the Vice-President Meiko Shiraki. Shortly after, Meiko enlists the help of Hana Midorikawa, the USC's Secretary, to oversee the boys. After Kiyoshi tends to a baby crow, he meets Chiyo and promises he will meet her at the sumo match. As Hana attempts to urinate beneath him however, a crow knocks him off the tree branch and he witnesses Hana urinating, much to her embarrassment.|
|2||"The Man Who Viewed Too Much"|
"Shiri Sugiteita Otoko" (尻すぎていた男)
|July 18, 2015|
|Meiko and the others rush to the scene of a crying Hana, and the boys are ordered back to the prison. As Mari and her father, the school's Chairman, have a discussion about the prisoners, Mari tells the boys that they have up to three hours of free time on the weekends (including furloughs), inspiring Kiyoshi and the others to become model prisoners. As Mari drops off the new USC guidebook at the Chairman's office, she stumbles on a porno on his computer, deciding to punish the boys by removing their free time. After Kiyoshi formulates a plan to break out by breaking a hole behind a refuse shed, Gakuto starts exhibiting strange behavior. As Hana requests that Kiyoshi pees in front of her in return for watching her pee, he is saved by Gakuto, who catches on to Kiyoshi's breakout plan and offers him assistance in return for Three Kingdoms figurines Guan Yu and Red Hare, available only once every four years. The next day, Gakuto and Kiyoshi fake a fight to have Hana kick the shed down and cover up the hole. Nevertheless, Gakuto grants permission for Kiyoshi to use the bathroom. Cornered by Hana a second time, Kiyoshi accidentally pees on her.|
|3||"A Mighty Spurt"|
|July 25, 2015|
|Since the urination incident, Hana left from being an overseer, leaving Meiko to check up on the boys. As the escape hole grows bigger, Gakuto asks that Kiyoshi does a test run of the escape route. On his way back, he witnesses the Chairman burying nude pictures. Shingo starts having suspicions over Kiyoshi and Gakuto as he sees they talking frequently. In preparation for a track meet, Kiyoshi, Gakuto, and Shingo are placed on belongings' watch duty, but Shingo transfers with Andre and Joe to miscellaneous jobs, after witnessing Kiyoshi and Gakuto taking a shower together, thus putting Shingo out of the way. Kiyoshi notices a drainage pipe that leads from the bathroom to near the escape hole. A test run results in a bloody butt which Shingo claims is a case of "hemorrhoids". Later, during the I.T. class, Gakuto plans on using his audio player to play fake defecation noises when Kiyoshi is "using the bathroom". However, when no audio clips pop up, he decides to make his own by defecating himself. Despite their efforts, they find out the hole had been patched up, not realizing the Chairman did it while re-burying his photos. When Kiyoshi devises another plan to sneak out by cross-dressing, Gakuto aids him once more, as he intentionally strips down Mari's skirt.|
|4||"Take Me Out to the Sumoland"|
"Watashi o Sumō ni Tsuretette" (私をスモーに連れてって)
|July 31, 2015|
|After Gakuto strips Mari's skirt down, he goes to the USC's office, where Meiko shaves his hair as a reprimand for his actions. However, with his hair collected inside a bag, he reveals the real intention of shaving his head was to have Kiyoshi use it as a makeshift wig for sneaking out of prison. Before the breakout, Kiyoshi heads out to the school's laundry room to acquire a uniform, after Gakuto manages to distract the laundry man. On the day of the track meet, he places speakers with the poop audio inside the bathroom and sneaks out though the drainage pipe. After narrowly escaping Meiko and Mari, Kiyoshi's sumo date is cut short when Chiyo found Gakuto's hair and her uniform inside his bag while he is in the bathroom. Once Kiyoshi realizes this, he leaves as well. Meanwhile at school, as Meiko becomes fed up with his prolonged bathroom trip, she decides to confront Kiyoshi personally. With the poop speakers not working, Gakuto can only watch nervously as Meiko kicks down the bathroom's stall door.|
|5||"The School's Number One Most Treacherous Man"|
"Gakuen Ichi no Uragiri Otoko" (学園一の裏切り男)
|August 7, 2015|
|When Meiko kicks down the stall, she finds Kiyoshi weeping on the toilet, much to Gakuto's relief and delight, as Kiyoshi managed to obtain his figurines. As they leave the bathroom however, Mari appears and Meiko examines Kiyoshi's bag to find Gakuto's hair and Chiyo's uniform. When Mari's suspicions of a breakout are confirmed, Kiyoshi is thrown in solitary confinement. Kiyoshi claims he acted alone, while his friends are punished with a one-month extension of their sentence, and he is sentenced to expulsion. Although Meiko says they do not have the authorization to carry out that punishment, Mari entices Kiyoshi to write his withdrawal request form. However, Chiyo appears and signs a withdrawal form, claiming that if Mari were to expel Kiyoshi, that she would also expel herself as well. Then, Kiyoshi refuses to sign the form and returns to the prison, where Shingo, Joe, and Andre start distancing themselves from him. Meanwhile, Meiko searches the prison for information to use against them to place three breakouts on the boys and expel them, which is put into Mari's plans for Danshi Taigaku Operation (translated as Boys Expulsion Operation, renamed Destroy Testicles Operation in the English dub), the DTO. Hana regroups with Mari and Meiko to put DTO into effect and promises to Kiyoshi to enact her revenge on him.|
|6||"Vengeance is Hana's"|
"Fukushūsuru wa Hana ni Ari" (復讐するは花にあり)
|August 14, 2015|
|Shingo becomes an informant to the USC in exchange for above-average prison food. After Andre knocks down Joe's ant farm by accident, which results in Joe getting aggressive towards him, Shingo relays this information to Meiko. During lunch break, Shingo lures Joe away from watching his ants, where one of Mari's crows appear to smashing his ants. As Joe realizes this, he attempts to stab Mari with a tree branch, when Kiyoshi pushes him aside before impaling himself in the butt. While Joe is thrown in solitary confinement, Kiyoshi goes to the nurse's office with Hana. Hana hands him a pail to urinate inside, but after refusing to, she decides to do it on him instead. However, Chiyo arrives inside, so Hana and Kiyoshi hide under the bed, where with their lower half exposed, Kiyoshi's penis starts poking at her, and Hana faints. Later, Joe is released, and Hana seems to have no recollection of the events that went on in the infirmary, although Kiyoshi has no idea of her not knowing. After work break, where Kiyoshi and Joe made amends, Kiyoshi talked about Shingo and Meiko's conversation. Meanwhile in the Corrections Office, Meiko tells Shingo that she will allow him free time outside of school.|
|7||"Meiko's Delicious Restaurant"|
"Meiko no Oishī Resutoran" (芽衣子のおいしいレストラン)
|August 21, 2015|
|Shingo hangs out at a local arcade and meets Anzu, another student from Hachimitsu. Returning to the prison, Shingo notices a tiny sword in the bathroom and gives it to Meiko. Unbeknownst to both them however, Gakuto is searching inside the bathroom for it, as the sword is a part of the Guan Yu figurine. Later, Meiko discovers Gakuto's figurines in the bathroom. While Shingo has another outing at the arcade and meets Anzu again, at the prison, Meiko reveals she is in possession of Gakuto's figurines and gives Gakuto a choice to confess to aiding Kiyoshi's escape and have everyone's sentences extended again or to spare his figurines. Much to everyone's surprise he throws them on the ground and breaks them. As Gakuto personally confesses to the breakout to his friends, Shingo becomes shocked at everyone's forgiveness. As punishment for Meiko for not telling Mari the origin of the sword, which was in her bowl of peanuts, Mari gives Meiko a uniform that is a size smaller. Exhausted from the strain, Chiyo takes Meiko to the Mari's office, where she discovers the existence of DTO. As Chiyo eavesdrops from behind the door, Mari announces the final phase of DTO, by taking advantage of Andre's masochistic urges.|
|8||"The Diary of Andre"|
"Andore no Nikki" (アンドレの日記)
|August 28, 2015|
|Exploiting Andre's slave diary, Meiko leaves Andre without punishment for days. Meanwhile, Meiko gives Shingo more free time outside, warning that his failure to return at 6:30 PM would result in a breakout. The other boys are assigned a job reinforcing the prison gate, crossing paths with Chiyo, who glances at Kiyoshi with a hidden message. Later, Meiko's voice calls out "punishment time" to Andre, leading him to find his diary in the Corrections Office, which entices him to go outside. With Chiyo's message deciphered, Kiyoshi, Gakuto, and Joe head out to warn Andre, but he breaks through the fence and receives his punishment, only to be subdued by Hana for a prison break offense as Meiko is outside of the prison boundaries. It is also revealed that Shingo's date with Anzu was only a way to stall for time. Nevertheless, Shingo arrives before 6:30 with the help of the laundry man, but fails to open the gate which the boys worked on earlier. With three breakouts in tow, the five of them meet the Chairman to discuss their expulsion, which Chiyo attempts to intervene but fails to find physical evidence of DTO. With two weeks before their expulsion date, the boys formulate a plan to expose the USC's hidden agenda, when Shingo mentions evidence of DTO being seen elsewhere.|
|9||"Full of Bodily Fluids"|
"Taieki ga Ippai" (体液がいっぱい)
|September 4, 2015|
|Shingo recalls that at the Corrections Office there was an email labeled DTO. However, Andre says that the USC may have planned ahead of time and deleted the email. Despite this, Gakuto notes that the email can still be recovered through a data restoration software. To take the cell keys to access the Corrections Office, the boys lure in Meiko by staging an arm wrestling match and berating Meiko into challenging them, in which she accepts. Gakuto manages to sneak into the Corrections Office, to which he needs at least ten minutes to download the software and search for the email. Despite Kiyoshi, Shingo, and Joe's matches barely lasting a minute each, Andre manages to almost hold out the rest of the remaining time, losing the match nine minutes in. Before Meiko almost discovers her keys went missing, Gakuto picks them off the ground and hands them to Meiko before she leaves. While the others praise Gakuto's timely return, he expresses his failure to retrieve the deleted email, only having downloaded the software. Facing imminent expulsion, Kiyoshi and the others reconcile with each other before heading off to sleep.|
|10||"It's a Bum-derful Life"|
"Subarashiki Shiri Kana, Jinsei" (素晴らしき尻哉人生！)
|September 11, 2015|
|Kiyoshi and the others have lost hope, except for a crazy Gakuto who makes nonsensical breakout plans. Meiko gives the boys the request of choosing their last meal. Gakuto's fried grasshoppers and rice dish proves to be so disgusting that he breaks free of his irregular state, and inspires him with a legitimate breakout plan, after looking upon Kiyoshi's note from Chiyo. He discusses the plan with the others, but they say they are short on time to carry it out. After Meiko hands them their withdrawal papers, Kiyoshi suggests to write an appeal to the Chairman to have more time for Gakuto's plan. To her surprise, the Chairman responds back to the appeal; it is revealed that the appeal Meiko had ripped was a decoy, and that Kiyoshi used his knowledge of the Chairman's buried explicit photos to persuade him to come. He will postpone the expulsion date only if in a Boobs vs. Butts debate, Kiyoshi's preference aligns with the Chairman's. Meanwhile as Meiko tries to eavesdrop outside the prison, Hana goes berserk, as the repressed memories of her and Kiyoshi under the hospital bed surface once again. Despite the Chairman declaring the expulsion postponed, the boys only have a one-day reprieve. As the USC decides on their next move, Hana personally agrees to watch over the boys on their final day.|
"Eringi Burokobicchi" (エリンギ・ブロコビッチ)
|September 18, 2015|
|Gakuto's plan to distract Meiko falls apart when Hana arrives instead. Mari thought the boys were used with Meiko's behavioral patterns, and agreed to have Hana overseeing the boys. Kiyoshi exploits Hana's grudge and takes it upon himself to sneak inside the Corrections Office. As Chiyo intercepts another Kiyoshi's message inside his lunch tray, she gets caught by Anzu, who wishes to help the boys out of expulsion. Later, Gakuto deliberately gets stabbed in the forehead with a fork by Joe to be bandaged by Hana in the Corrections Office. As Gakuto returns, Kiyoshi goes with Hana there, while Chiyo and Anzu are outside, and Meiko patrols the prison. Then, Hana gives a plastic tube to watch Kiyoshi pee in. Full of confidence, Kiyoshi strips down and manages to unlock the back door, but drops to the ground after getting kneed by Hana. She prepares to pee on him, until Meiko's apprehension alarms Hana, who locks the door again. Much to the boys' relief, Anzu was the one that was caught and not Chiyo, sacrificing herself so Chiyo can get inside. As Hana holds the door, she then kisses Kiyoshi, stating that stealing his first kiss away from Chiyo is her revenge against him.|
|12||"Good Morning, Prison"|
"Guddo Mōningu Purizun" (グッドモーニング・プリズン)
|September 25, 2015|
Chiyo waits at the back door of the Corrections Office, where Kiyoshi and Hana's confrontation is taking place. As Hana goes in for another kiss, Kiyoshi counterattacks by sticking his tongue inside Hana's mouth, completely shocking the sexually pure Hana and resulting in a profuse nosebleed. She leaves the Corrections Office, and Chiyo comes inside. As Kiyoshi returns to the prison, Hana allows Gakuto and Joe to use the bathroom, before the five head off to bed. Suspicious, Mari and Meiko proceed to patrol the prison, before declaring it inescapable. The next day, Meiko takes the boys to the Chairman's office. Meanwhile, Gakuto runs inside the school, causing the schoolgirls to beat him up. As Kiyoshi declares that they themselves have won, Meiko catches on to their ruse and grabs Joe disguised as Gakuto, and Chiyo disguised under Joe's hood. Gakuto is thrown into the Chairman's room by the students. Then the boys explain that Chiyo sneaked in from the back door of the Corrections Office, where she met with Gakuto and Joe inside the bathroom, performing a three-way exchange with each other's clothes. Under disguise, Gakuto made his way to the Corrections Office, enduring his cut from the fork to have Joe disguised with the use of bandages. Gakuto hid himself outside while Mari and Meiko were patrolling. When Meiko expresses disbelief at how fast the DTO email would have been recovered, Gakuto tells her of the data restoration software being downloaded ahead of time during the arm wrestling match. As Gakuto passes the DTO's information hardrive to the Chairman, Hana discovers Kiyoshi's manipulation and proceeds to punch him, only to punch Mari instead, who wholly confesses to the DTO plan.In a post-credits scene, while the boys seem content outside of their prison lives, the prison-clad USC make their way to the school prison. They are charged by the Aboveground Student Council (ASC). News about their abusive incidents have been spread around the school.
"Maddo Wakkusu" (マッドワックス)
|March 4, 2016|
|As news of the USC's prison stay circulate around the school, Mari and the others are led to their cells. With the ASC enforcing their role as guards, President Kate Takenomiya orders them to put on their prison uniforms, and while Mari reluctantly gives in, Hana and Meiko's defiance results in a brief scuffle with ASC Vice-President Risa Betto. As the boys are having lunch, they are interrupted by Chiyo and Anzu, where Chiyo reveals that in the USC's prison sentence, extreme abuse methods were reported to cover up Operation DTO. Angered by Kiyoshi, Shingo, and Andre's romanticizing, Gakuto storms into the library and becomes acquainted with Mitsuko Yokoyama, the ASC Secretary over a Three Kingdoms book. Meanwhile, Joe questions life outside the prison after scaring away a trio of girls over his ants. During the night, while Gakuto confides to the others about Mitsuko and their clumsy experience, Joe laments to Andre about his failure to find a girl and how life with the five of them in prison seemed better. As Gakuto and Mitsuko have another outing, Andre narrowly stops Joe after he attempts to grab a girl's butt to return to prison. The next day, Mitsuko witnesses a naked man in bondage rope and after getting wrapped up in the same way, becomes identifiable by Gakuto and Andre. When Andre realizes his rope went missing, Andre runs to the pool locker room to stop Joe from exposing himself. As Mitsuko trips and rides away on a cart of wax drums, she crashes into Andre on the way, spilling the wax as both slide down the school halls. Making haste to Joe's location, Andre peels back his clothing while Joe is offered a cupcake by Sato, Joe's first girl interaction. As he witnesses Joe talking to Sato, he rams into the locker room naked in bondage rope. As Kiyoshi and the others rush to the scene and single him out as the rumored bondage man, Andre receives a severe beating from the locker room girls with a smile on his face.|
A live-action television drama adaptation was announced in August 2015, directed by Noboru Iguchi at production studio Robot. The series premiered on October 26, 2015,[b] and aired on MBS and TBS. The opening theme song is "Shōdō" (衝動, "Urge") performed by HaKU.
Over 13 million copies of the manga have been sold as of March 2018. Prison School was one of two winners of the Best General Manga award alongside Gurazeni at the 37th Kodansha Manga Award. The broadcast dub version of the anime was criticized for altering the original meaning of a line while referencing the Gamergate controversy, written by Tyson Rinehart.
- Loveridge, Lynzee (August 7, 2015). "Zombie Anime School-Live! Soars to the Top of Summer Anime Poll". Anime News Network. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- "Akira Hiramoto's Kangoku Gakuen/Prison School Manga Gets Anime". Anime News Network. August 4, 2014. Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- "Prison School Manga Gets Live-Action Show by Machine Girl's Iguchi". Anime News Network. August 4, 2015. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- "Prison School Anime Cast, Staff, Songs, Video, Designs Unveiled". Anime News Network. May 27, 2014. Retrieved May 27, 2014.
- "English Cast Announcement, Sneek Peek of Prison School". Funimation.com. August 11, 2015.
- "Live-Action Prison School Show Unveils Cast in Costume". Anime News Network. September 4, 2015. Retrieved September 5, 2015.
- "Prison School Manga to Bundle Anime DVD of 'Mad Wax' Arc in March". Anime News Network. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- "Yen Press Licenses A Certain Magical Index, Trinity Seven, Chaika - The Coffin Princess, Prison School Manga". Anime News Network. October 10, 2014. Retrieved October 10, 2014.
- "Prison School Manga Ends on December 25". Anime News Network. December 10, 2017. Retrieved December 10, 2017.
- "Prison School by Akira Hiramoto". Yen Press. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- "Live-Action Prison School Show's 1st Commercial Airs". Anime News Network. September 7, 2015. Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- "Live-Action Prison School Show Reveals Joe's Actor, Song, New Visual". Anime News Network. September 18, 2015. Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- "Prison School Manga Has 13 Million Copies in Print". Anime News Network. March 15, 2018. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Animal Land, Ore Monogatari!! Win 37th Kodansha Manga Awards". Anime News Network. May 9, 2013. Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- "Funimation Addresses Prison School Dub Comments Over Gamergate Line". Anime News Network. October 3, 2015. Retrieved December 6, 2016.