Princess Caroline of Nassau-Usingen
Princess Caroline of Nassau-Usingen (German: Prinzessin Karoline Polyxena von Nassau-Usingen; 4 April 1762 – 17 August 1823) was the elder daughter of Karl Wilhelm, Prince of Nassau-Usingen, and wife of Landgrave Frederick of Hesse-Kassel.
|Princess Caroline of Nassau-Usingen|
|Landgravine of Hesse-Kassel|
|Born||4 April 1762|
|Died||17 August 1823 (aged 61)|
|Issue||Landgrave William of Hesse-Kassel|
Luise Karoline Marie Friederike
Marie, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Princess Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge
|Father||Karl Wilhelm, Prince of Nassau-Usingen|
|Mother||Countess Caroline Felizitas of Leiningen-Dagsburg|
Caroline was born at Biebrich, Nassau-Usingen the second child and first daughter of Karl Wilhelm, Prince of Nassau-Usingen (1735–1803), and his wife, Countess Caroline Felizitas of Leiningen-Dagsburg (1734–1810), daughter of Christian Karl Reinhard, Count of Leiningen-Dagsburg-Heidesheim.
Caroline, via her mother's roots among the Alsace lords of Leiningen, was a cousin of the Danish aristocrat, the Duke of Augustenborg, they both being direct descendants of the important Danish and Sleswicker magnate and statesman Frederik Ahlefeldt, 1st HRR Reichsgraf zu Rixingen, 1st Lensgreve of Langeland (1623-1686). This Danish connection played a role in Caroline's marriage.
Marriage and familyEdit
Caroline married on 2 December 1786 in Biebrich to Landgrave Frederick of Hesse-Kassel (1747–1837), youngest child of Frederick II, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel and Princess Mary of Great Britain, daughter of George II of Great Britain. The Landgrave and Prince Frederik was born a German (Hessian) aristocrat, a cadet son of a Landesfürstliche house, but had lived since his youth in Denmark, as had his two elder brothers. Frederik's two elder brothers married daughters of the deceased King of Norway and Denmark. However, there was no Danish royal daughter left to marry the youngest boy, Frederik, so he married a cousin of the Duke of Augustenborg, being Caroline of Nassau. Frederik was an infantry general in Danish service.
They had eight children:
- William (24 December 1787 – 5 September 1867), married Louise Charlotte of Denmark (1789–1864) and was the father of Louise of Hesse-Kassel (wife of Christian IX of Denmark).
- Karl Friedrich (9 March 1789 – 10 September 1802)
- Friedrich Wilhelm (24 April 1790 – 25 October 1876)
- Ludwig Karl (12 November 1791 – 12 May 1800)
- Georg Karl (14 January 1793 – 4 March 1881)
- Luise Karoline Marie Friederike (9 April 1794 – 16 March 1881)
- Marie Wilhelmine Friederike (21 January 1796 – 30 December 1880), married Georg, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1779–1860)
- Augusta Wilhelmine Luise (25 July 1797 – 6 April 1889), married Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge (1774–1850) and was the maternal grandmother of Mary of Teck (wife of George V of the United Kingdom).
|Ancestors of Princess Caroline of Nassau-Usingen|
Notes and sourcesEdit
- Richard Glanville-Brown, online <e-mail address>, Richard Glanville-Brown (RR 2, Milton, Ontario, Canada), downloaded 17 August 2005.
- L'Allemagne dynastique, Huberty, Giraud, Magdelaine, Reference: vol III page 427
- The Royal House of Stuart, London, 1969, 1971, 1976, Addington, A. C.
- Europäische Stammtafeln, Band I, Frank Baron Freytag von Loringhoven, 1975, Isenburg, W. K. Prinz von