Prince Julius of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Prince Julius of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (14 October 1824, Gottorp, Schleswig, Duchy of Schleswig– 1 June 1903, Itzehoe, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany) was the eighth of the ten children of Friedrich Wilhelm, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg and Princess Louise Caroline of Hesse-Kassel.
|Born||14 October 1824|
Gottorp, Schleswig, Duchy of Schleswig
|Died||1 June 1903 (aged 78)|
Itzehoe, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
|Spouse||Elisabeth von Ziegesar|
|Father||Friedrich Wilhelm, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg|
|Mother||Princess Louise Caroline of Hesse-Kassel|
In 1863, Prince Julius was sent to Greece with his young nephew, Prince Vilhelm of Denmark, who had recently ascended to the throne of Greece as King of the Hellenes, as an advisor. Eighteen months later, the King returned from a walk to discover that, whilst he was out, Julius had invited seven ministers associated with the former, and deeply unpopular, King Otto to the Palace to discuss the removal of Count Sponneck, another of the King's advisors. Indignant at what he saw as an attempt at a palace putsch, the King ordered Julius to leave Greece within one week.
- Ascanian duchies: Grand Cross of Albert the Bear, 4 October 1853
- Brunswick: Grand Cross of Henry the Lion, 1847
- Ernestine duchies: Grand Cross of the Saxe-Ernestine House Order, May 1867
- Kingdom of Prussia: Grand Cross of the Red Eagle
|Ancestors of Prince Julius of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg|
- The Times (London) 14 February 1865 p.10 col.C
- C. Arnold McNaughton, The Book of Kings: A Royal Genealogy (London: Garnstone, 1973) vol.1 p.200
- Bille-Hansen, A. C.; Holck, Harald, eds. (1901) [1st pub.:1801]. Statshaandbog for Kongeriget Danmark for Aaret 1901 [State Manual of the Kingdom of Denmark for the Year 1901] (PDF). Kongelig Dansk Hof- og Statskalender (in Danish). Copenhagen: J.H. Schultz A.-S. Universitetsbogtrykkeri. p. 4. Retrieved 4 July 2020 – via da:DIS Danmark.
- Hof- und Staats-Handbuch des Herzogtum Anhalt (1867) "Herzoglicher Haus-orden Albrecht des Bären" p. 17
- Hof- und Staatshandbuch des Herzogtums Braunschweig für das Jahr 1902, "Herzogliche Orden Heinrich des Löwen" p. 10
- Staatshandbücher für das Herzogtums Sachsen-Altenburg (1869), "Herzogliche Sachsen-Ernestinischer Hausorden" p. 21