Rakim Hasheem Allen (born December 9, 1991), better known by his stage name PnB Rock, is an American rapper, singer, and songwriter from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania He is best known for his 2015 single "Fleek" and 2016 single "Selfish", which peaked at number 51 on the US Billboard Hot 100. He has released two studio albums; Catch These Vibes (2017) and Trapstar Turnt Popstar (2019). In 2017, Allen was chosen as part of the XXL Freshman Class.
|Birth name||Rakim Hasheem Allen|
|Also known as||PnB|
|Born||December 9, 1991|
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Rakim Hasheem Allen was born on December 9, 1991, in the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Allen's father was murdered when Allen was 3 years old, so Allen was primarily raised by his mother. In his teen years, he lived in Northeast Philadelphia. He grew up listening to rapper 2Pac and R&B group Jodeci. At the age of 13, Allen was sent to a youth detention program for committing robberies and fighting in school. When he turned 19, he was sentenced to 33 months in prison for drug possession and other crimes. Allen was homeless for a short period after being released from prison. He never finished high school. Allen later adopted the stage name PnB Rock, which pays homage to Pastorius and Baynton, a street corner near where he grew up in the Philadelphia neighborhood Germantown.
On June 24, 2014, PnB Rock released his debut mixtape, Real N*gga Bangaz. He wrote the mixtape while he was incarcerated. In 2015, PnB Rock signed a record deal with Atlantic Records, and under the label, he released his first project with Atlantic titled RnB3 which is his third mixtape. In June 2016, he released the hit single, "Selfish". The song peaked at number 51 on the US Billboard Hot 100. In October 2016, Rolling Stone included him in their list of "10 New Artists You Need to Know".
On January 10, 2017, he released his second retail mixtape album, GTTM: Goin Thru the Motions through Atlantic Records and Empire Distribution. The album debuted at number 28 on the US Billboard 200 chart. Subsequently, in April 2017, he participated in the soundtrack of The Fate of the Furious with two singles: "Gang Up" with Young Thug, 2 Chainz and Wiz Khalifa and "Horses" with Kodak Black and A Boogie wit da Hoodie. In June 2017, PnB Rock was named as one of the ten of XXL's "2017 Freshman Class" along with A Boogie wit da Hoodie, Playboi Carti, Ugly God, Kyle, Aminé, MadeinTYO, Kamaiyah, Kap G, and XXXTentacion.
PnB Rock has also admitted that his single, "Nowadays", was co-written by Bronx rapper, Carlos, who has featured PnB on his summer hit, "Let's Get Personal". His debut album TrapStar Turnt PopStar was released in May 2019.
PnB Rock has two daughters, born in 2013 and 2020, the latter born to Stephanie Sibounheuang.
- "Philadelphia rapper PnB Rock arrested on drug and gun charges at Bucks County development". The Philadelphia Tribune. Retrieved June 19, 2020.
- "PnB Rock and His Lonely Hearts Club Bangers". Noisey.vice.com.
- "Kelsie Smith". SXSW 2020 Schedule. Retrieved August 5, 2020.
- "PnB Rock – Profile". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved January 9, 2017.
- PnB Rock, AllMusic
- "PnB Rock Discusses His Criminal Past, Being Named after Hip-Hop Legend Rakim, & The Philly Curse. He was also related to XXXTENTACION and he shows this in the music video, "MIDDLE CHILD"". Global Grind. April 25, 2016. Retrieved July 2, 2017.
- "The Break Presents: PnB Rock". XXL. August 15, 2015. Retrieved January 9, 2017.
- "Bio – PnB Rock". Atlantic Records. Archived from the original on January 10, 2017. Retrieved January 9, 2017.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- http://hiphopdx.com, HipHopDX -. "PnB Rock Explains Journey From Homelessness To Hot 100 & Credits Instagram For His Success". HipHopDX. Retrieved July 2, 2017.
- "Meet PnB Rock, The Philly Prince Who Will Steal Your Girl". The Fader. Retrieved January 9, 2017.
- "PnB Rock – RnB 3 – Download And Stream". HotNewHipHop. November 3, 2015. Retrieved January 8, 2017.
- "PnB Rock – Chart History: Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 8, 2017.
- "10 New Artists You Need to Know: October 2016". Rolling Stone. October 21, 2016. Retrieved January 17, 2017.
- "PnB Rock – Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- "XXL Freshman 2017 Cover Revealed". XXL. June 13, 2017. Retrieved June 13, 2017.
- "Baby Photos! PnB Rock Welcomes His First Child With Stephanie Sibounheuang". BET.com. Retrieved June 19, 2020.