Diop as a Levante player (2013)
|Full name||Papakouli Diop|
|Date of birth||19 March 1986|
|Place of birth||Kaolack, Senegal|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23 April 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 23 January 2017
After starting out at Rennes, he went on to spend most of his career in Spain.
Born in Kaolack, Diop moved to France at early age and played youth football for Stade Rennais FC, making his first-team – and Ligue 1 – debut on 5 August 2006, in a 1–2 home loss against Lille OSC. In the summer of 2006 he joined Tours FC, being relegated from Ligue 2 in his first season.
On 12 September 2009, Diop played his first game in the Spanish top level, starting in a 1–1 away draw against Atlético Madrid. His first league goal came on 21 March of the following year, netting the last of a 3–1 success at CA Osasuna.
In the 2011–12 campaign, Diop played all but four matches for the Cantabrians and totalled 2,864 minutes of action, but his team was relegated nonetheless after finishing 20th. Shortly after, he joined fellow league club Levante UD, which paid €100,000 for his services.
On 4 May 2014, Diop appeared to be subjected to monkey chants from a section of Atlético Madrid fans, and provided a unique response by dancing in front of his abusers. On 5 June of the following year, he left the Granotes after his contract expired.
On 31 August 2015, Diop signed a three-year deal with RCD Espanyol also in the top tier. On 22 December 2017, after cutting ties with the club, he agreed to an 18-month contract at fellow league team SD Eibar.
- As of match played 9 March 2019
|Racing Santander||2009–10||La Liga||23||1||6||1||—||29||2|
- Appearances in the Europa League
- As of 23 January 2017 (Senegal score listed first, score column indicates score after each Diop goal)
|1.||21 May 2014||4-Août, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso||Burkina Faso||1–0||1–1||Friendly|
|2.||23 January 2017||Stade de Franceville, Franceville, Gabon||Algeria||1–1||2–2||2017 Africa Cup of Nations|
- "Pape Diop" (in Spanish). SD Eibar. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- El Nástic ficha al senegalés Diop (Nástic sign Senegalese Diop); Marca, 31 January 2008 (in Spanish)
- Diop se va al Racing y el Nàstic ingresará 1'5 'kilos' (Diop goes to Racing and Nàstic make 1'5 'kilos'); Diario AS, 24 July 2009 (in Spanish)
- Atletico remain winless[permanent dead link]; ESPN FC, 12 September 2009
- Racing rediscover scoring touch[permanent dead link]; ESPN FC, 21 March 2010
- Diop, el 'fichaje' de enero del Racing (Diop, Racing's January 'signing') Archived 14 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine; El Diario Montañés, 28 December 2011 (in Spanish)
- El Levante paga al Racing de Santander 100.000 euros por Pape Diop (Levante pay 100,000 euros to Racing de Santander for Pape Diop); Goal, 19 July 2012 (in Spanish)
- "Atletico Madrid fans accused of racist chants by Levante's Diop". BBC Sport. 4 May 2014. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Senegal's Diop complains of racist abuse from Atletico fans". BBC Sport. 4 May 2014. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Carta de agradecimiento de Pape Diop tras su estancia en el Levante U.D." [Thankful letter of Pape Diop after his spell at Levante U.D.] (in Spanish). Levante UD. 5 June 2015. Archived from the original on 7 June 2015. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- "Pape Diop fitxa per l'Espanyol" [Pape Diop signs for Espanyol] (in Catalan). RCD Espanyol. 31 August 2015. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- "Pape Diop, segundo refuerzo de invierno" [Pape Diop, second winter addition] (in Spanish). SD Eibar. 22 December 2017. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "P. Diop". Soccerway. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- "P. Diop – Matches". Soccerway. Retrieved 29 January 2017.