Orazio Fagone (born November 13, 1968 in Catania) is an Italian sledge hockey player and former short track speed skater who competed in the 1988 Winter Olympics, 1992 Winter Olympics and 1994 Winter Olympics. After a motorcycle accident, he also competed as wheelchair curler.
|Born||November 13, 1968|
|World Wheelchair Championship|
|2 (2004, 2005)|
Short track careerEdit
Fagone competed in the first short track speed skating events at the 1988 Winter Olympics when this sport was a demonstration sport. He finished third in the 1500 metres and as a member of the Italian relay team, he finished second in the 5000 metre relay.
At the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Fagone was part of the Italian team which won the gold medal in the 5000 metre relay competition. In the 1000 metres, he finished 15th and in the 500 metres, he finished 31st.
In 1997, Fagone's right leg was amputated after a motorcycle accident, ending his hopes for a return to the 1998 Winter Olympics. After the accident, Fagone started to play sledge hockey and competed in the 2006 Winter Paralympics as a member of the Italian national sledge hockey team. This made Fagone the third Winter Olympian to also compete in the Paralympics and the first disabled one (the other two were sighted guides).
Wheelchair curling teams and eventsEdit
|2003–04||Egidio Marchese||Orazio Fagone||Rita Dal Monte||Fabio Tripodi||Pierino Gaspard||Mauro Maino||WWhCC 2004 (6th)|
|2004–05||Egidio Marchese||Orazio Fagone||Lucrezia Celentano||Danilo Destro||Pierino Gaspard||Mauro Maino||WWhCC 2005 (9th)|
- "1988 Winter Olympics Roundup: Thursday's Results", Aiken Standard, p. 8, 1988-02-26
- Wallechinsky, David; Jaime Loucky (2005). The Complete Book of the Winter Olympics, Toronto: Sport Classic Books. ISBN 1-894963-45-8
- "Athletes involved in motorcycle accidents". The Associated Press. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- Maki, Allan (2010-01-23). "McKeever to compete in both the Olympics and Paralympics". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill; et al. "Orazio Fagone". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Archived from the original on 2020-04-18. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- Orazio Fagone at World Curling Federation
- Orazio Fagone in SpeedSkatingBase.eu
- Orazio Fagone at Olympics.com
- Orazio Fagone at Olympic.org (archived)
- Orazio Fagone at Paralympic.org
- Orazio Fagone at the Italian Olympic Committee (in Italian)
- Orazio Fagone at Olympedia
- Orazio Fagone at Olympics at Sports-Reference.com (archived)
- Orazio Fagone at databaseOlympics.com (archived)