Nwali Sylvester Ngwuta
|Nwali Sylvester Ngwuta|
|Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria|
|Assumed office |
|Born||1951 (age 66–67)|
Ukawu, Onicha, Ebonyi State, Nigeria
|Political party||Non partisian|
Justice Sylvester was born in 1951 Amofia-Ukawu, Onicha local government area of Ebonyi State, South-Eastern, Nigeria. He is an Ezza-speaking person by birth. He obtained a bachelor's degree in Law from Obafemi Awolowo University and was Call to the bar, the Nigerian bar in 1978 after he graduated from the Nigerian Law School.
Justice Sylvester began his Law career in 1978 as a State counsel in Benue State Ministry of justice, the same year he established his own law firm. On October 1995, he was appointed as a Judge of the Abia State High Court. On 22 May 2013, he was appointed to the bench of the Nigerian courts of appeal and on May 2011, he was appointed to the bench of the Supreme Court of Nigeria as Justice. He presided over the ruling of the Supreme Court that affirmed Olusegun Mimiko as the governor elect of Ondo State in the May 2013 governorship election. He also presided over the ruling of the Supreme Court that affirmed Kayode Fayemi as the governor elect of Ekiti State in the June 2013 governorship election and was supported by Justices Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad and Suleiman Galadima. He was arrested by the Department of State Security Services (DSS) on 8 October 2016 on allegations of bribery and corruption.
- "SC Upholds Fayose's Election, Says Impeachment Not Ground for Disqualification, Articles - THISDAY LIVE". thisdaylive.com. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "S-Court declines to sack Gov Dickson of Bayelsa State". newshunt.com. 7 March 2015. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Hon. Justice Nwali Sylvester Ngwuta JSC, CFR". supremecourt.gov.ng. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "CJN abolishes plea bargain". Vanguard News. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Ondo guber: Mimiko wins". The Sun News. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Ekiti: Supreme Court throws out Oni's appeal". The Sun News. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
|This Nigeria-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|