Nigerian National Honours are a set of orders and decorations conferred upon Nigerians and friends of Nigeria every year. They were instituted by the National Honors Act No. 5 of 1964, during the First Nigerian Republic, to honour Nigerians who have rendered service to the benefit of the nation.
These honours are distinct from the honours that are part of the country's ancient chieftaincy system, which is a separate (but also legally defined) entity. National Honours are the highest honours or awards that a citizen can receive from his or her country for service to the country.
The Nigerian National Honours, in descending order of importance, are:
Order of the Federal Republic edit
- Grand Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (GCFR)
- Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (CFR)
- Officer of the Order of the Federal Republic (OFR)
- Member of the Order of the Federal Republic (MFR)
Order of the Niger edit
- Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON)
- Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON)
- Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON)
- Member of the Order of the Niger (MON)
The GCFR and GCON are customarily respectively bestowed on former occupants of the office of President of Nigeria and Vice President of Nigeria including former military heads of state of Nigeria and Chiefs of General Staff. The GCON is also customarily bestowed on the Chief Justice of Nigeria and the President of the Nigerian Senate during their first year in office, while the CON is customarily bestowed on Justices of the Supreme Court of Nigeria
- Forces Service Star (FSS)
- Grand Service Star (GSS)
- Distinguished Service Star (DSS)
- Meritorious Service Star (MSS)
- Command Medal of Honour (CMH)
- Command Medal (CM)
- "Nigerian Culture Kids | For Kids from Nigeria". nckids. Retrieved 2021-04-18.
- Orders, Decorations and Medals of the Republic of Nigeria - Ribbon Chart
- Nigeria National Merit Award - Presidency of Nigeria. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- Worlds awards
- Nigeria: National Honours Awards 2010 and 2011, Economic Confidential. Retrieved 18 August 2016.