Nikuljane

Nikuljane (Macedonian: Никуљане) is a village in northeastern North Macedonia, in the municipality of Staro Nagoričane. According to the 2002 census, it had 210 inhabitants.

Nikuljane

Никуљане
Village
View of the village Nikuljane
View of the village Nikuljane
Nikuljane is located in North Macedonia
Nikuljane
Nikuljane
Location within North Macedonia
Coordinates: 42°13′0″N 21°47′58″E / 42.21667°N 21.79944°E / 42.21667; 21.79944Coordinates: 42°13′0″N 21°47′58″E / 42.21667°N 21.79944°E / 42.21667; 21.79944
Country North Macedonia
RegionLogo of Northeastern Region, North Macedonia.svg Northeastern
MunicipalityCoat of arms of Staro Nagoričane.svg Staro Nagoričane
Elevation
520 m (1,710 ft)
Population
 (2002)
 • Total210
Time zoneUTC+1 (CET)
 • Summer (DST)UTC+2 (CEST)
Car platesKU

GeographyEdit

The village is located in northernmost North Macedonia, close to the Serbian border (5 kilometres). To the nearest city, it is 12 kilometres northeast of Kumanovo. Nikuljane is situated in the historical region of Sredorek, in the Rujen mountain region, on ca. 520 m above sea. The Pčinja river flows east of the village.

It borders Četirce, Suševo, Algunja, Čelopek and Mlado Nagoričane.

The Zabel Monastery is located 2 kilometres from the village.

HistoryEdit

In the 19th century, it was part of the Ottoman kaza of Kumanovo. The village supported the Kumanovo Uprising (January 20–May 20, 1878).

In 1905, the village was Serb, adhering to the Patriarchate of Constantinople. It had 560 inhabitants and a Serbian school.[1]

DemographicsEdit

According to the 2002 census, it had 210 inhabitants, the majority of whom declared as Serbs (98%), the rest as Macedonians (2%).[2] The families are Eastern Orthodox Christian. In the 1994 census, it had N/A inhabitants.

AnthropologyEdit

The oldest families came from the Gnjilane region in Kosovo. The village slava is St. Elijah's Day and Feast of the Ascension.

ReferencesEdit

  1. ^ D. M. Brancoff (1905). La Macédoine et sa Population Chrétienne. Paris. pp. 126–127.
  2. ^ "Macedonian census" (PDF). 2002: 179. Cite journal requires |journal= (help)

SourcesEdit

External linksEdit