Aerial view of Niederbipp
|• Total||17.5 km2 (6.8 sq mi)|
|Elevation||468 m (1,535 ft)|
|• Density||270/km2 (700/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Balsthal (SO), Bannwil, Kestenholz (SO), Laupersdorf (SO), Oberbipp, Oensingen (SO), Schwarzhäusern, Wolfisberg|
Niederbipp is first mentioned in 968 as Pippa. In 1302 it was mentioned as Nider-Bippe.
Niederbipp has an area, as of 2009[update], of 17.37 square kilometers (6.71 sq mi). Of this area, 8.2 km2 (3.2 sq mi) or 47.2% is used for agricultural purposes, while 6.55 km2 (2.53 sq mi) or 37.7% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 2.64 km2 (1.02 sq mi) or 15.2% is settled (buildings or roads) and 0.06 km2 (15 acres) or 0.3% is unproductive land.
Of the built up area, industrial buildings made up 1.9% of the total area while housing and buildings made up 5.9% and transportation infrastructure made up 5.0%. Power and water infrastructure as well as other special developed areas made up 1.7% of the area Out of the forested land, 36.6% of the total land area is heavily forested and 1.2% is covered with orchards or small clusters of trees. Of the agricultural land, 34.1% is used for growing crops and 10.6% is pastures, while 1.3% is used for orchards or vine crops and 1.2% is used for alpine pastures.
Niederbipp has a population (as of 31 December 2018) of 4,899. As of 2007[update], 18.0% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 5.1%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (89.0%), with Serbo-Croatian being second most common ( 3.1%) and Albanian being third ( 1.8%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 25.5% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 58.2% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 16.3%. In Niederbipp about 69.3% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Niederbipp has an unemployment rate of 1.79%. As of 2005[update], there were 255 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 46 businesses involved in this sector. 623 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 55 businesses in this sector. 853 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 105 businesses in this sector. The historical population is given in the following table:
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Niederbipp in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office-Land Use Statistics 2009 data (in German) accessed 25 March 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 23 September 2019
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 21-Jul-2009
- "Das wird die Logistik in der Schweiz auf den Kopf stellen" (in German). Limmattaler Zeitung. 2016-01-26. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Niederbipp.|