Next Ukrainian parliamentary election
According to the Electoral Code of Ukraine, the next Ukrainian parliamentary election will be held on the last Sunday of October of the fifth year of authority of the parliament, if snap elections are not held. The previous parliamentary election in Ukraine was held on 21 July 2019.
All 450 (possibly 300) seats in the Verkhovna Rada
226 (possibly 151) seats needed for a majority
According to Article 76 of the Constitution of Ukraine, the term of office of Ukraine's parliament is five years. Hence the powers of the 9th Ukrainian Verkhovna Rada will formally expire in September 2024. So, the fifth and final year of the parliament's powers will begin in September 2023. According to Article 77 of the Constitution, regular elections to the Verkhovna Rada take place on the last Sunday of October of the fifth year of parliamentary powers. Thus, the next parliamentary elections are due to take place on 29 October 2023.
On 1 January 2020, the latest revision of the electoral code of Ukraine took effect. It states that all deputies are elected on a party list in one nationwide constituency with a 5% election threshold with open regional lists of candidates for deputies. The new election law abolishes the single-member constituency system used in the 2019 parliamentary election.[a] In this election, the 450 members of the Verkhovna Rada were elected by two methods; 225 by closed list proportional representation in a nationwide constituency with a 5% threshold, and 225 in single-member constituencies by first-past-the-post voting.
On 4 February 2020, parliament approved (with 236 votes) a presidential bill to reduce the number of parliamentary deputies from 450 to 300. To do so, the Ukrainian Constitution needs to be altered, and this will require at least 300 parliamentary votes.
- (in Ukrainian) The Verkhovna Rada has previously approved the reduction of the number of people's deputies to 300 and the transition to a proportional electoral system, Interfax-Ukraine (4 February 2020)
- Electoral Code becomes effective in Ukraine, Interfax-Ukraine (1 January 2010)
- CEC counts 100 percent of vote in Ukraine's parliamentary elections, Ukrinform (26 July 2019)
(in Russian) Results of the extraordinary elections of the People's Deputies of Ukraine 2019, Ukrayinska Pravda (21 July 2019)
- (in Ukrainian) Too early to rejoice? Regular parliamentary elections may take place under Yanukovych's law, Civil movement "Chesno" (11 July 2019)
- Ukraine finally gets a new Election Code. It’s the first step to an effective political system Euromaidan Press, 12 July 2019
- Ukraine IFES