Nathanael Lee "Nate" Bargatze (born March 25, 1979) is an American comedian.
Nathanael Lee Bargatze
March 25, 1979
Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.
|Years active||2002 - Present|
Nathanael Bargatze was born in Nashville, Tennessee, on March 25, 1979, the son of Carole and Stephen Bargatze. His father is of Italian descent and is a former clown who became an internationally acclaimed motivational speaker. Bargatze attended McGavock High School in Nashville and later attended Volunteer State Community College in Gallatin, taking speech and media classes.
Bargatze began his stand-up comedy career at The Boston in New York City. He has appeared multiple times on shows such as Late Night with Conan O'Brien and The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, being one of the first to perform stand-up on the latter. He was part of Fallon's Clean Cut Comedy Tour in 2013, also winning New York's Comedy Festival and the Boston Comedy Festival that year. He wrote for the Spike TV Video Game Awards and has performed multiple times for American armed forces in Iraq and Kuwait. He was mentioned by Marc Maron as a "comic who should be big" and by Jim Gaffigan as one of the top up-and-coming comics.
Bargatze's first stand-up album, Yelled at by a Clown (2014), made it onto the Billboard Top Ten Comedy Charts for two weeks, peaking at No. 2. He released his second album, Full Time Magic, in coordination with his Comedy Central special in May 2015. In 2017, he had a half-hour special released on Netflix as part of The Standups.
In March 2019, Bargatze released an hour-long Netflix special titled The Tennessee Kid. It was filmed outside Atlanta, Georgia. His most recent standup special, The Greatest Average American, was released by Netflix in March 2021. It was filmed outdoors at Universal Studios Hollywood and was nominated for the 2022 Grammy Award for Best Comedy Album.
Bargatze is the host of the Nateland podcast, which draws inspiration from Seinfeld as it often turns into a "podcast about nothing". In 2022, he voiced a personality core named Grady in the short Portal spinoff game Aperture Desk Job.
- Podcast, The Nateland. "The Nateland Podcast - #1 The First Episode". Google Podcasts. Retrieved 2021-07-05.
- "Nate Bargatze: Biography". IMDb. Retrieved July 4, 2017.
- "Nate Bargatze". Comedy Central. Viacom. Retrieved July 4, 2017.
- "About". Stephen Bargatze. Retrieved 2021-09-11.
- PodcastOne. "PodcastOne: Nate Bargatze and Jay joke about being sad Vandy fans, Jay's accidental recruitment, stand-up comedy and on-field emotions on Uncut with Jay Cutler". www.podcastone.com. Retrieved 2021-09-11.
- "Nate Bargatze Stand-Up". Conan. YouTube. April 8, 2013. CBS. Retrieved July 4, 2017.
- "Meet Jimmy Fallon's 'Favorite New Comedian' Nate Bargatze". Fusion TV. Fusion Media Network. Retrieved July 4, 2017.
- "Worst I Ever Bombed: Nate Bargatze". The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. YouTube. July 1, 2013. NBC. Retrieved July 4, 2017.
- "Jimmy Fallon's Clean Cut Comedy Tour". Club Nokia. AEG Live. Archived from the original on November 16, 2013. Retrieved July 4, 2017.
- Harris, Adam (January 19, 2014). "Episode 218 - Nate Bargatze". The Stand-Up Chronicles. Archived from the original on November 29, 2014. Retrieved July 4, 2017.
- "Marc Maron Continues to Be a Statesman For Comedy". The Comedy Bureau. May 19, 2012. Retrieved July 4, 2017.
- Gaffigan, Jim [@JimGaffigan] (March 18, 2014). "Go buy "Yelled at by a Clown" by @natebargazi Great comic. Best album cover ever" (Tweet). Retrieved July 4, 2017 – via Twitter.
- "Nate Bargatze". billboard.com. Billboard. Retrieved July 4, 2017.
- Bargatze, Nate. "Nateland". natebargatze.com. Retrieved July 4, 2017.
- "The World Premiere of "Nate Bargatze: Full Time Magic" Debuts on Comedy Central® on Saturday, May 2 at Midnight ET/PT". Comedy Central Press. Comedy Partners. April 15, 2015. Retrieved July 4, 2017.
- "The Standups | Netflix Official Site". Netflix.
- "Nate Bargatze: The Tennessee Kid | Netflix Official Site". www.netflix.com. Retrieved 2021-04-05.
- "Nate Bargatze's The Greatest Average American Is Destined to Be a Pandemic-Era Time Capsule". 19 March 2021.
- Livingston, Christopher (March 2022). "Weaponize toilets in Valve's hilarious short game Aperture Desk Job". PC Gamer.
- "Inside Nate Bargatze's Life with Wife Laura and Daughter".
- "Nate Bargatze on Instagram: "Happy 9th Birthday, Harper! We love you very much."".