Nancy Ann Travis (born September 21, 1961) is an American actress.
Travis in 2012
Nancy Ann Travis
September 21, 1961
|Education||New York University|
|Alma mater||Circle in the Square Theatre School|
Robert N. Fried (m. 1994)
She began her career on Off-Broadway theater, before her first leading screen role in the ABC television miniseries Harem opposite Omar Sharif. Her breakthrough came in 1987, playing Sylvia Bennington in the comedy film Three Men and a Baby, she later starred in its sequel, Three Men and a Little Lady (1990).
Travis has starred in many films, including Internal Affairs (1990), Air America (1990), Passed Away (1992), Chaplin (1992), So I Married an Axe Murderer (1993), Greedy (1994), and Fluke (1995). On television, Travis went on to star in the CBS sitcom Almost Perfect in 1995, which ran two seasons, and in the short-lived Work with Me (1999). In 2002, she played a leading role in the ABC miniseries Rose Red, and later joined the cast of the CBS sitcom Becker for its final two seasons.
From 2011 to 2017 and again in fall 2018, Travis starred as Vanessa Baxter in the ABC/Fox sitcom Last Man Standing. In 2018, she began starring opposite Michael Douglas in the Netflix comedy series The Kominsky Method.
Travis was born in Queens, the daughter of Theresa, a social worker, and Gordon Travis, a sales executive. Travis was raised in Framingham, Massachusetts, and Baltimore, Maryland. She was raised Catholic.
Travis' first job after graduating from high school was in a play, It's Hard to be a Jew, at The American Jewish Theatre in NYC. After that, Travis appeared in a stage version of Neil Simon's Brighton Beach Memoirs and was a founding member of the Off-Broadway theater company Naked Angels. She appeared in their Frank Pugliese play Aven U-Boys, as well as in King of Connecticut. She made her Broadway debut in I'm Not Rappaport. She starred in Athol Fugard's My Children, My Africa.
Travis has had roles in many films, including Three Men and a Baby and its sequel, Three Men and a Little Lady, plus Air America and Internal Affairs (as the wife of Andy García's character), So I Married an Axe Murderer, as the bride of Mike Myers' character, thriller The Vanishing with Kiefer Sutherland, Greedy with Michael J. Fox, and in the action-comedy Destiny Turns on the Radio with Dylan McDermott. Other notable films include the 1995 box office bomb Fluke, 1996 Whoopi Goldberg's comedy Bogus, political comedy/drama Running Mates with Three Men and a Baby co-star Tom Selleck, 2001 drama film Auggie Rose, 2005 comedy The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and 2007 ensemble cast romantic drama The Jane Austen Book Club adapted from the 2004 novel of the same name by Karen Joy Fowler. She was featured in Chaplin opposite Robert Downey, Jr., portraying Joan Barry, the woman who filed a paternity suit against Chaplin.
Travis starred with Peter Gallagher and Isabella Rossellini in the Tom Cruise-directed episode of the Showtime series Fallen Angels in 1993. From 1995–1997, Travis played a leading role in the CBS sitcom Almost Perfect. The show was canceled after two seasons. In 1999 she starred in the short-lived TV series Work with Me, Travis was also a producer. Due to low ratings, the show was cancelled after four episodes.
Travis had the leading role of psychology professor Dr. Joyce Reardon in 2002's four-hour television adaptation of Stephen King's Rose Red. In 2002, Travis joined the cast of the CBS sitcom Becker as Chris Connor. She starred in the show for its final two seasons, replacing the series' original female lead, Terry Farrell. From 2007 to 2009 Travis appeared in the television sitcom The Bill Engvall Show as Bill's wife Susan. In 2009 she starred in the Hallmark Channel film Safe Harbor, about a happily married couple, Doug (Treat Williams) and Robbie Smith (Travis) about to retire and spend their days cruising the world on their sailboat. In 2010, she starred in TV films The Pregnancy Pact, In My Shoes and was a guest star in two episodes of Desperate Housewives. In 2011, she guest starred in the television series Grey's Anatomy and How I Met Your Mother.
In 2011, Travis was cast in the ABC sitcom Last Man Standing opposite Tim Allen. Travis also was cast in the same time in The CW medical drama series Hart of Dixie as Emmeline "Mrs. H" Hattenbarger, but due to her commitments with the 20th Century Fox-produced Last Man Standing left the show after two episodes. Last Man Standing was canceled in 2017, after six seasons and 130 episodes, but was revived by Fox in the fall of 2018. The show debuted on September 28, 2018, and had its highest rating since season two.
In 1994, Travis married Robert N. Fried, the former president and CEO of Savoy Pictures and currently Founder & CEO of Hallmark Movies Now (formerly known as SpiritClips and FeeIn). They have two sons: Benjamin E. born in 1998, and Jeremy, born in 2001. She starred in the 2007 short film Sally, featuring Benjamin and written by her husband.
|1987||Three Men and a Baby||Sylvia Bennington|
|1988||Married to the Mob||Karen Lutnick|
|1988||Eight Men Out||Lyria Williams|
|1988||I'll Be Home for Christmas||Leah Bundy|
|1989||How Much Is Really True?||Short film|
|1990||Internal Affairs||Kathleen "Kathy" Avilla|
|1990||Air America||Corinne Landreaux|
|1990||Three Men and a Little Lady||Sylvia Bennington|
|1992||Passed Away||Cassie Slocombe|
|1993||The Vanishing||Rita Baker|
|1993||So I Married an Axe Murderer||Harriet Michaels|
|1995||Lieberman in Love||Kate||Short film|
|1995||Destiny Turns on the Radio||Lucille|
|1995||Body Language||Atty. Theresa Janice 'T.J.' Harlow|
|1999||My Last Love||Susan Morton||Also producer|
|2005||The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants||Lydia Rodman|
|2007||The Jane Austen Book Club||Cat Harris|
|2015||The Submarine Kid||Mrs. Koll|
|2017||Bernard and Huey||Mona|
|1985||Malice in Wonderland||Ann||Television film|
|1986||Harem||Jessica Gray||Television film|
|1986||Spenser: For Hire||Maggie Ellis||Episode: "The Hopes and Fears"|
|1993||Fallen Angels||Bette Allison||Episode: "The Frightening Frammis"|
|1994–1997||Duckman||Bernice / Beverly / Beatrice/Grandma-ma||67 episodes, voice role|
|1995–1997||Almost Perfect||Kim Cooper||Series regular, 34 episodes|
|1996||The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest||Spencer||Voice role|
|1998||Superman: The Animated Series||Darci Mason||1 episode, voice role|
|1999||Work with Me||Julie Better||Series regular, 9 episodes, also producer|
|2000||Running Mates||Jennifer "Jenny" Pryce||Television film|
|2002||Stephen King's Rose Red||Prof. Joyce Reardon||Miniseries|
|2002–2004||Becker||Christine "Chris" Connor||Series regular, 39 episodes|
|2007–2009||The Bill Engvall Show||Susan Pearson||Series regular, 30 episodes|
|2007||The Party Never Stops: Diary of a Binge Drinker||April Brenner||Television film|
|2008||Medium||Laura Swenson||Episode: "Do You Hear What I Hear?"|
|2009||Numb3rs||Dr. Jane Karellen||Episode: "First Law"|
|2009||Safe Harbor||Robbie||Television film|
|2010||The Pregnancy Pact||Lorraine Dougan||Television film|
|2010||A Walk In My Shoes||Cindy/Trish||Television film|
|2010||Desperate Housewives||Dr. Mary Wagner||2 episodes|
|2011||Grey's Anatomy||Alison||Episode: "Not Responsible"|
|2011||How I Met Your Mother||Cheryl Whittaker||Episode: "Legendaddy"|
|2011||Hart of Dixie||Emmeline Hattenbarger (Mrs. H)||2 episodes|
|2011–present||Last Man Standing||Vanessa Baxter||Series regular, 130 episodes|
|2017–present||Mr. Mercedes||Donna Hodges||7 episodes|
|2018||The Ranch||Karen||Episode: "Telling Me Lies"|
|2018–present||The Kominsky Method||Lisa||Series regular|
- "Becker's Nancy Travis Rekindles Her Baby Love with Ted Danson". People Magazine. January 13, 2003.
- "Travis gives high praise to Framingham drama coach". bostonherald.com. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- "Nancy Travis- Biography". Yahoo! Movies. July 7, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- Gerri Miller. "The Jewish Paparazzi: Nancy Travis, Dave Lieberman, and Jerry Springer". American Jewish Life. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- Fluke (1995), Box Office Mojo
- ""Work with Me" (1999)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- Pursell, Chris (October 25, 1999). "CBS pink slips 'Work With Me'". Variety. Retrieved 2009-07-03.
- Wilkes, Neil (Jul 18, 2001). "ABC Fall miniseries: Full details". DigitalSpy. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- "Christian Therapeutic Boarding School – Safe Harbor Boys Home". Safe Harbor.
- Ausiello, Michael (Sep 16, 2010). "'Desperate Housewives' Exclusive: Nancy Travis is B.A.G.'s mom!". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- Wightman, Catriona (Jan 27, 2011). "Nancy Travis lands 'Grey's Anatomy' role". DigitalSpy. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- Jeffery, Morgan (Feb 2, 2011). "Nancy Travis signs for 'HIMYM' role". DigitalSpy. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- Becky Kirsch. "ABC 2011 Pilots Including Good Christian Belles, Charlie's Angels, Once Upon a Time, Pan Am, Last Man Standing, Scandal, Revenge". POPSUGAR Entertainment. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- Jeffery, Morgan (Mar 30, 2011). "Nancy Travis joins ABC Tim Allen pilot". Digital Spy. Retrieved Oct 8, 2019.
- "Coming This Fall to The CW..." TV Fanatic. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- "Fox picked up 'Last Man Standing' after being 'emboldened' by response to 'Roseanne'". Washington Post. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- Otterson, Joe; Otterson, Joe (Sep 29, 2018). "TV Ratings: 'Last Man Standing' Surges in Fox Debut". Retrieved Oct 8, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (11 January 2018). "'The Kominsky Method': Nancy Travis To Co-Star In Netflix Comedy Series".
- "Nancy Travis on the View". YouTube. December 7, 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-11.