My Lady Boss
My Lady Boss is a Filipino romantic comedy film directed by Jade Castro, and starring Richard Gutierrez and Marian Rivera. It is produced by GMA Films together with Regal Films. The film was supposed to have premiered on 8 April 2013, but after a series of postponed showings, it was released nationwide on 3 July 2013.
|My Lady Boss|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jade Castro|
|Screenplay by||Aloy Adlawan|
|Story by||Annette Gozon-Abrogar|
|Music by||Pearlsha Abubakar|
|Edited by||Vanessa de Leon|
|103 minutes|
|Budget||₱10 million|
|Box office||₱19.4 million|
Zach (Gutierrez) is a rich boy forced to find and keep a job after a major blunder in a company he set up. He ends up working for Evelyn, whom he discovers to be the boss from hell. In the long run, he sees her for who and what she really is. Meanwhile, Evelyn (Rivera) is an uptight and tough Brand Manager who hires an assistant Brand Manager. When she finds herself dumped by her boyfriend, Evelyn seeks comfort in Zach, her assistant who shows a different side of him. As they get to know each other more and as their encounters become more intimate, they begin to ask themselves if what they feel for each other is for real. The problem is romance between boss and subordinate in a company is not allowed. Things get complicated when an office romance develops between the unlikely pair.
- Marian Rivera as Evelyn "EVL" Vallejo Lontoc
- Richard Gutierrez as Zach Strella
- Rocco Nacino as Henry "HPE" Posadas Enrile
- Tom Rodriguez as Timothy "Tim" Espalto
- Sandy Andolong as Myrna Lontoc
- Ashley Rivera as Jenn
- Sef Cadayona as Nonoy
- Ronaldo Valdez as Carlos Strella
- Matet De Leon as Ruby
- Jace Flores as Leo
- Ruru Madrid as Elvin Lontoc
- Betong Sumaya as Sponky
- Dion Ignacio as Eugene Lontoc
- Kathleen Hermosa as Edna Lontoc
- Patricia Ysmael as Aya
- Jackielou Blanco as Diana
- Pinky Amador as Liza
- Regine Tolentino as Lydia
- Andrea Torres as Ana Soriano-Espalto
- Mikey Bustos as Norman
- Chloe McCully as Chancy
- Benjie Paras as Rammy
- Victor Aliwalas as Jay
- Gerard Pizzaras as Andres
- Petra Mahalimuyak as Kai
- Maricel Laxa as Lorna "LOV" Ongpauco-Villega
Background and developmentEdit
The film was first announced by the lead actress, Marian Rivera on 3 December 2012 during an interview with Philippine Entertainment Portal. It is going to be the second film which stars Rivera and actor Richard Gutierrez together following the My Best Friend's Girlfriend produced by the same film outfit in 2008. On a set visit by Samantha Portillo of GMA Network, Gutierrez states that "..after 5 years, finally, we get to do a movie", while Rivera says that her working relationship with Richard is better than ever. On an interview on The Philippine Star, Gutierrez talked about the film saying "..It's entertaining and light. It feels good doing a movie of this type again. I was looking forward to this movie after Seduction. We enjoy doing the movie. Although the acting is serious, it is lighter." He further added that the film, though still a romantic-comedy, is more mature than BFGF(My Besftriend's Girlfriend).
Originally, it is slated for 13 February 2013 film date but was pushed back because of scheduling issues. According to an article published by "Filipinas in Showbiz", the film is very much alike with Hollywood film, The Proposal(2009) produced by Mandeville Films. An assumption which proved to be inaccurate because the story of My Lady Boss is not similar to the Proposal, other than the leading actress is the boss of the leading actor. The Proposal is a film about a Canadian lady Executive working in the United States who is forced to pretend to be engaged to her American assistant so that she will not be deported back to Canada. My Lady Boss, on the other hand is about a failed young businessman who is forced to seek employment to get back to the good graces of his disappointed rich grandfather. In January 2013, two short teasers were shown on television, but it was removed on-air after its playdate pushback. The full trailer was first released on the #PPSummerShake episode of Sunday variety show, Party Pilipinas. The theme song for the movie is a new rendition by Aicelle Santos and Gian Magdangal to "I'll Never Go" originally sung by Nexxus. An acoustic version by Rita Iringan and a band version by Kristofer Martin will also be used on the film.
Release and box office statusEdit
The film was originally slated for a 14 February 2013 release date but it was postponed to 10 April 2013 because production failed to finish shooting the movie on time. But GMA Films moved it again because it would conflict with several Hollywood Summer Blockbuster releases. The movie was finally shown on 3 July 2013.
The film grossed P19.45 million after its two weeks of showing.
- Jarloc, Glaiza (21 March 2013). "Richard Gutierrez, Marian Rivera topbill 'My Lady Boss'". SunStar. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "My Lady Boss". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- "Advisory from GMA Films about 'My Lady Boss' screening". GMA Network. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- Miralles, Nitz (20 April 2013). "Pelikula nina AiAi at Marian isasali na lang sa 2013 MMFF". Philippine Star. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- Portillo, Samantha. "Richard Gutierrez, Marian Rivera reunite in 'My Lady Boss'". GMA Network. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Portillo, Samantha. "Richard Gutierrez, delighted to play Zach in My Lady Boss". GMA Network. Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- Red, Isah. "Richard, Marian together again in 'My Lady Boss'". Manila Standard Today. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Meet the cast of 'My Lady Boss'". GMA Network. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Marian Rivera to venture into film production in 2013". GMA Network / News. Retrieved 13 January 201. Check date values in:
- Guanio, Pia. "Marian Rivera at Richard Gutierrez, balik-tambalan sa pelikulang 'My Lady Boss'". 24 Oras: Chika Minute. GMA Network. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Donato, Jerry (11 February 2013). "How Richard will win his lady boss' heart". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "First Look Of 'My Lady Boss' Marian & Richard V-Day Movie". Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- Red, Isah (15 March 2013). "Aicelle, Magdangal sing My Lady Boss theme song". Manila Standard Today. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- "Aicelle Santos and Gian Magdangal sing My Lady Boss's official theme song". PEP.ph via GMA Network. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- Mendoza, Abby. "Richard Gutierrez is reunited with Marian Rivera for the romantic comedy My Lady Boss. The movie earned 1.5M on its first weeks of showing, a good try for GMA Films to at least reach Million unlike previously released movies produced". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 5 March 2013.