Aicelle Anne Coronel Santos (born February 24, 1985), better known for her screen name Aicelle Santos is a Filipino soul, pop and jazz singer-songwriter, pianist, and actress who first emerged in the Philippine music scene as a contestant in a nationwide search for the next best singer during the first season of ABS-CBN's Star In A Million. She has been known as the "First Undefeated Pinoy Pop Superstar", when she achieved eight straight wins in GMA Network's Pinoy Pop Superstar, "Rock and Soul Diva", "Traffic Diva", and "Soul Flair Songstress".
|Birth name||Aicelle Anne Coronel Santos|
|Also known as||Traffic Diva, Rock & Soul Diva, Soul Flair Songstress|
|Born||February 24, 1985|
|Genres||Pop, soul, R&B, OPM|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, pianist, actress|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Audition
- 3 Vocal profile
- 4 Discography
- 5 Theatre
- 6 Filmography
- 7 Awards and Recognitions
- 8 Contemporaries
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Early Life and CareerEdit
At the age of six, Aicelle Santos or "AA" received abecedarian musical training at the St. Theresa's College Quezon City, and the University of the Philippines College of Music for piano. The early training allowed Aicelle to indulge in her original dream to become a famous pianist. However, a shift in focus took place as she realized she would rather be a famous singer than be a known pianist. Aicelle's inspiration on the field came from Walt Disney's character Ariel from the movie The Little Mermaid. The movie's theme song "Part of Your World" was the first song Aicelle memorized, which she also performed during her elementary school programs.
While still at her first year of college at the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila, Aicelle joined ABS-CBN's Season 1 of Star In A Million (2003), her first take on a nationwide televised singing competition. The competition opened many doors for Aicelle. Although she sometimes struggled, she eventually struck a balance between attending university and focusing on her blossoming singing career.
Aicelle took advantage of the minor fame that her Star In A Million appearance gave her and showcased her talents on top performers' settings with a new acoustic group Dream Sequence. Dream Sequence proved to be a success on its own right, and brought its three members to many cities around the Philippines. The Metro’s prime stages Bagaberde, Chef and Brewer, Phi Bar, Fiesta San Miguel in Dusit, E’s Bar in Edsa Shangri-La, and others became the group's main performing stages. The nightly gigs are believed to have been Aicelle’s training ground for improving her vocal and stage performance.
On January 4, 2016 Aicelle Santos interpreted Dinggin Mo Oh Dios which was composed by Cris Bautista in A Song of Praise Music Festival year 4, a gospel songwriting competition, in UNTV with Reymond Sajor, Leah Patricio, Rachelle Ann Go, Frencheska Farr, Jonalyn Viray, Rita De Guzman, RJ Buena & Kyla. On February 14, 2016 Aicelle will be contestant in Sunday Central Club Battle Of The Champions with Reymond Sajor Lizbeth Yap Dy & Julie Anne San Jose.
Pinoy Pop SuperstarEdit
In 2005, Aicelle once again decided to aim for a solo singing career by joining the second season of Pinoy Pop Superstar. An eight-straight win during preliminaries put Aicelle on top and on the show's history, as the first 'Undefeated Superstar.' She showcased her impressively wide vocal range on her performances of:
- All The Man That I Need - Week 1,
- I Need You - Week 2,
- Natural Woman - Week 3,
- A House Is Not A Home - Week 4,
- Respect - Week 5,
- Summertime - Week 6,
- A Song For You - Week 7,
- Man In The Mirror - Week 8.
Aicelle got into the finals favored to win. On PPS's season finale, Aicelle Santos claimed first runner-up and signed a record deal and an exclusive management contract under GMA Artist Center. Her story in Pinoy Pop Superstar is somehow related to Sheryn Regis.
Once again, Aicelle proved her vocal competence when she won "Best Performance of Own Country Song" representing the Philippines in Astana Music Festival in Kazakhstan. Aicelle bested delegates from 13 countries around the world, including Mexico, Peru, Finland, Romania, Latvia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Tajikistan, Lithuania, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Malta, and China. Her winning piece was entitled "Bakit Di Subukan", a Vehnee Saturno composition which is a Tagalog-English song ("If We Just Hold On" in English). Following this triumph was Aicelle’s recognition for "People’s Choice Best New Female Artist" in the 2007 Awit Awards.
On February 25, 2015, Aicelle held her first solo concert, Class A, at the PETA Theatre. On the same year, she released the music video of her latest single Kapangyarihan ng Pag-ibig.
In 2013, she debuted in the theatrical scene by portraying the role of Katy in Katy! the Musical. She also stars in Rak of Aegis where she plays the lead character, Aileen (alternating with Kim Molina). The musical had several runs but Aicelle continues to play the role till present. Aicelle won Best Actress in a Musical in the 2014 Aliw Awards for her performance in Rak of Aegis.
In 2015, Aicelle had a special participation in the musical entitled Sabel: Love and Passion.
Santos possesses the vocal range of a lyric mezzo soprano, spanning three full octaves (from the lowest note of Bb2 to the highest note of Bb5).
- Make Me Believe (2007)
- Liwanag (2015)
- "Ikaw Pa Rin" (2007)
- "Make Me Believe" (2007)
- "Kapangyarihan Ng Pag-Ibig" (2015)
- "Liwanag" (2016)
- "Palaging Ikaw" (2017)
- "Tayong Dalawa" (2006) (from Bakekang)
- "Maghihintay" (2007) (from Impostora)
- MariMar (2007) (from MariMar)
- "I'll Never Go" (with Gian Magdangal) (2013) (from My Lady Boss)
- "Paliparin ang Pangarap" (with Maricris Garcia) (2013) (from Adarna)
- "Liyab" (2014) (from Niño)
- "Be With You" (2015) (from The Rich Man's Daughter)
- "Nasaan" (with Maricris Garcia) (2015) (from Beautiful Strangers)
- "Hanggang Makita Kang Muli" (2016) (from the theme song of same teleserye)
- "Sa Lahat ng Iba" (2016) (from Ika-6 na Utos)
- "Kumapit Ka Lang" (2017) (from Tadhana)
- "Haplos" (2017) (from Haplos)
- "Nasa Iyong Tabi" (2017) (from Super Ma'am)
- "Bahagi Ko ng Langit (2018) (from The Stepdaughters)
- "Walang Malay" (2019) (from Lahat Ay Lena)
- "Panata sa Bayan" (2019) (from Eleksyon 2019 Coverage of GMA News)
- "Bakit Siya?" (with Maricris Garcia) (2019) (from The Better Woman)
- The Pinoy Pop Superstar Year 2 Contenders' Album (2006)
- Track 3: All The Man That I Need
- Mga Awit Mula Sa Puso, Vol. 2 (2006)
- Track 3: "Tayong Dalawa"
- Mga Awit Kapuso, Vol. 4 (2008)
- Track 3: "Marimar"
- The Best of Mga Awit Kapuso (2009)
- Track 10: "Tayong Dalawa"
- GMA Records No.1 Hits (2013)
- Track: "Ikaw Pa Rin" (with Janno Gibbs)
- Take1: the Best of Awit Kapuso Originals (2013)
- Track 9: "Marimar"
- Versions 7.1 (2014)
- Track 2: "All the Man That I Need"
|2013||Katy! the Musical||Katy||CCP Theater|
|2014||Rak of Aegis||Aileen||PETA Theater|
|2015||Sabel: Love and Passion||(special participation)||Music Museum|
|2017||Maynila sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag||Perla||Kia Theater|
|2018||Himala: Isang Musikal||Elsa||PowerMac Center Spotlight|
|2005||Star in a Million||As contestant|
|2005-2006||Pinoy Pop Superstar: Year 2||As contestant|
|2010–2013||Party Pilipinas||As performer|
|2013–2015||Sunday All Stars||As performer|
|2015–2017||Eat Bulaga!||As Aegis Pa More contestant (2015) |
as judge on various segments (2015-2016)
as co-host for Traffic Diva segment (2016) and Music Hero segment (2016-2017)
as model on Kalyeserye segment (2016)
as Cord Sponsor on Kalyeserye: The Wedding (2016)
|2016||Superstar Duets||As Judge|
|2013||Love and Lies||Ligaya Salvador|
|2013||Kakambal ni Eliana||Dra. Katelyn Banal|
|2014||Ang Dalawang Mrs. Real||May|
|2014||Strawberry Lane||Lani Delgado|
|2015-2016||Buena Familia||Olga Vergara|
Awards and RecognitionsEdit
|2006||Astana Music Festival Kazakhstan||Best Performance of Own Country Song||"Bakit Di Subukan"||Won|
|2006||Astana Music Festival Kazakhstan||Interpreter (Gold Medal)||"Aking Ama"||Won|
|2008||21st Awit Awards||Best Performance by a Female Recording Artist (Performance Award)||"Ikaw Pa Rin"||Nominated|
|2008||21st Awit Awards||Best R&B Recording (Creativity Awards)||"Ikaw Pa Rin"||Nominated|
|2008||21st Awit Awards||Best Performance by a Female Recording Artist (People's Choice)||"Ikaw Pa Rin"||Won|
|2008||Guillermo Mendoza Awards||Most Promising Female Singer||N/A||Won|
|2014||27th Aliw Awards||Best Actress in a Musical||Rak of Aegis||Won|
|2015||7th PMPC Star Awards for Music||Female Concert Performer of the Year||Class A||Nominated|
|2017||30th Aliw Awards||Best Actress for a Featured Role||Maynila sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag||Won|
|2018||10th Gawad Buhay Awards||Female Featured Performance in a Musical||Maynila sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag||Won|
- "Rak of Aegis: Pinoy musical wows viewers with world-class production" at "ASTIG.PH"
- Losorata, Yugel (2017-10-06). "REVIEW: Maynila Sa Mga Kuko Ng Liwanag, The Musical". PEP.ph. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- Santos, Jamil (2017-12-20). "Aicelle Santos, wagi bilang best actress para sa 'Maynila Sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag'". GMA News Online. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- "Aicelle Santos honored to represent PH in 'Miss Saigon' UK tour". ABS-CBN News. 2018-03-05. Retrieved 2018-03-13.