Museum of Ice Cream
Museum of Ice Cream, started in Manhattan, New York City, is an interactive art exhibit with ice cream and candy themed exhibits, all brightly colored, in a maze of rooms containing "among other things, a rock-candy cave, a unicorn, and a swimming pool of rainbow sprinkles". The exhibits are very often the backdrop for selfies, and the many selfies posted to Instagram, Flickr, Facebook, and other social media sites have served to promote the exhibit. Each visitor is offered numerous tastings throughout. Tickets must be purchased in advance for specific time slots online only.
Museum of Ice Cream, San Francisco location
|Visitors||500,000 (November, 2017)|
|Director||Maryellis Bunn (Founder)|
The term "museum" was chosen for the temporary art exhibition because it was something people would understand.
The exhibition was co-founded by Maryellis Bunn, from Laguna Beach, and Manish Vora, previously of equity research firm Monness, Crespi & Hardt. The exhibition is the brainchild of Maryellis Bunn who was looking for a way to connect to millennial audiences. She said "It's all about fun, and feeling like a kid again. Everyone loves ice cream. It's a way to bring people together."
The exhibit first opened in Manhattan in the summer of 2016 and has since opened in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Miami. It has been wildly popular, with celebrity visitors including Katy Perry, Kim Kardashian, Gwyneth Paltrow, Drew Barrymore, and on Mother's Day, Jay-Z, Beyoncé, and Blue Ivy were photographed lounging in the museum's Sprinkle Pool.
The San Francisco exhibit sold out its first batch of tickets in 18 minutes.
As of November 2017 the exhibitions combined have had over 500,000 visitors.
|New York||July 2016 - September 2016||100 Gansevoort Street|
|Los Angeles||April 2017 - December 2017||2018 E. 7TH Pl.|
|San Francisco||September 2017 – present||1 Grant Ave.|
|Miami||December 2017 - May 2018||3400 Collins Ave.|
- Wiener, Anna. "The Millennial Walt Disney Wants to Turn Empty Stores Into Instagram Playgrounds". Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- Adams, Susan. "The 25-Year-Old Behind The Museum Of Ice Cream". forbes.com. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Why This Guy Left Wall Street To Launch An Art Industry Startup". Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- Adams, Susan. "The 25-Year-Old Behind The Museum Of Ice Cream". Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Museum of Ice Cream comes to San Francisco: Why so crazy popular?". 15 September 2017. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Miami". MUSEUM OF ICE CREAM. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "San Francisco's Museum of Ice Cream has a sprinkle pool and a Pop Rocks cave — here's what it's like". Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "The Museum of Ice Cream Is Coming to Miami". Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "The Museum of Ice Cream extends SF stay and will debut two new installations". sfgate.com. Retrieved 25 April 2018.