Mohit Chauhan (born 11 March 1966) is an Indian playback singer, known for his work in Bollywood, Tollywood and Kollywood films. He was a part of the Silk Route band. Chauhan has received two Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer and three Zee Cine Award For Best Male Playback Singer awards. He has recorded several songs for Indian films and albums in regional languages.
|Birth name||Mohit Chauhan|
|Born||March 11, 1966|
Nahan, Himachal Pradesh, India
|Genres||Pop, Rock, Playback singing, Folk Music|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, Lyricist, Composer|
|Instruments||Saxophone, Harmonica, Guitar, Flute|
Mohit Chauhan was born in the town of Nahan, Sirmaur district, Himachal Pradesh, on 11 March 1966. He received his initial education from St. Xavier's School, Delhi, and then moved to Himachal Pradesh for further studies. Chauhan earned a Master of Science in Geology from a government college at Dharamshala in Himachal Pradesh. He has not received any formal training in music. He used to sing and play guitar, harmonica and flute. He wanted to become an actor before his debut in the music industry.
Chauhan, Kem Trivedi and Kenny Puri were the vocalists for Silk Route. His first album, Boondein, was released in 1998 and featured the popular songs "Dooba Dooba" and "Pehchan". The second album was released in 2000. After Silk Route was discontinued in 2008, he released another album "Fitoor" in 2009.
Chauhan's film singing career began in 2002 when he sung "Pehli Nazar Mein Dari Thi" from the movie Road. His songs "Khoon Chala" from the movie Rang De Basanti and "Tum Se Hi" from Jab We Met are regarded as his most notable. He won the Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer prize in 2010 for the filmMasakali.
In 2011, he was featured in the third episode of The Dewarists for his song "Maaya". He was also featured on MTV Unplugged in the same year. In 2017, he made his Gujarati language debut with the song "Jaag Re Banda" from the movie Last Chance. His first ever himachali songs were "Puchhe Amma" and "Deva Mere" from the film Saanjh.
After huge success of Dooba dooba and Boondein from his album boondein, his band got many awards.Music director Sandesh Shandilya offered him for sing in bollywood. In year 2002 Chauhan made his debut with Sandesh Shandilya composition, "Pehli Nazar Me Dari Thi" from the movie Road..In 2003 he sang for the film Main Madhuri Dixit Banana Chahati Hoon and Kyun.But Chauhan didn't get so much popular. In year 2004 he sang "Sabse Peeche Hum Khade" for the film Let's Enjoy. In 2005 he sang two song "Paintra" and "Guncha Koi" for the film Main Meri Patni aur Woh . He again sang two song Angna and Rowan Akhiya for the film Adharma. A.R. Rahman met Chauhan in an award show where his band Silk Route got many awards.There Rahman asked Mohit, if he had sung for any film, to which Chauhan replied not yet. About 5 years later, in 2006 AR Rahman called Chauhan to sing Khoon Chala for the film Rang De Basanti. Chauhan believes this song was turning point of his bollywood musical career. In 2007 Pritam composed Tum Se Hi for the film Jab We Met , song penned by Irshad Kamil, both Pritam and Imtiaz Ali wanted Chauhan to lend his voice for this romantic track. They tried a lot to connect with Chauhan, finally it happened after one and half month later. Chauhan recorded the song. This song of Chauhan from Jab We Met established him in Bollywood Music Industry.
In 2020, Chauhan sang "Dheere Dheere Se" for the film Guns Of Banaras, composed by Sohail Sen and written by Sameer. He sang "Yeh Dooriyaa" which is composed by Pritam from the film Love Aaj Kal (2020).This song is new version of Yeh Dooriyaa" chartbuster from the film Love Aaj kal (2009). Both the version are written by Irshad Kamil There is a remix version too which is released by Sony Music India. He sang "Meethi Meethi Gallan", " Kisi Gair Ka Nahi", and "Salaam".Salaam is a tribute to corona warriors by Chauhan. He also features in a video of " Hum Haar Nahi Maanenge" composed by AR Rahman
Mohit is an active participant in the not-for-profit public limited companies National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), which encourages young people to follow beneficial vocational training iitiatives.
Chauhan is one such hero, who is regularly feeding 60-70 stray dogs in Delhi at the time of lockdown in India due to COVID19 pandemic.“Before the lockdown, there were people who would feed the strays. But now, they’ve stopped. The stray dogs in Delhi don’t hunt and depend on humans to feed them. So, I’ve been going around giving them food and water,” says Chauhan
- Dooba Dooba (Boondein)
- Boondein (Boondein)
- Tum Se Hi (Jab We Met)
- Kuchh Khaas Hai (Fashion)
- Tune Jo ye Kaha (New York)
- Masakali (Delhi-6)
- Ye Dooriyaa (Love Aaj Kal)
- Tujhe Bhula Diya(Anjaana Anjaani)
- Pee Loon (Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai)
- Sadda Haq (Rockstar)
- Jo Bhi Main (Rockstar)
- Tum Ho (Rockstar)
- Kun Faya Kun (Rockstar)
- Phir Se Ud Chala (Rockstar)
- Rab Ka Shukrana (Jannat 2)
- Saans (Jab Tak Hai Jaan)
- Saiyaara (Ek Tha Tiger)
- Ilahi (Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani)
- Rabba (Heropanti)
- Matargasti (Tamasha)
- Khuda Bhi (Ek Paheli Leela)
- Po Nee Po (3)
|2008||Ankhon Hi Ankhon Mein||Himself||Appearance in a song titled "Ankhon Hi Ankhon Mein" from film EMI|
|2009||Music Ka Maha Muqqabla||Contestant||He was a captain on the show along with Shankar Mahadevan, Shaan, Himesh Reshammiya, Shreya Ghosal and Mika Singh.||Star Plus|||
|Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Duet Champs||Judge||Zee Bangla|
|Kuchh ish Tatah||Himself||Appeared with Tulsi Kumar in the song Kuchh Is Tarah from film 8X10 Tasveer,|
|2016||Bolo Har Har||Himself||Appeared in song Bolo Har Har from movie Shivaay it also features Mithoon, Badshah|
|2012||Main Hoi Shab||Himself||Appeared in the song Main Hoo Shab from film Tezz|
|2019||Kyun Dil Meta||Himself||Appeared in the song "Kyun Dil Mera" from film Paharganj|
|2020||Hum Haar Nahi Manenge||Himself||Music Video with AR Rahman|
|2012||ETC Bollywood Business||Zee ETC Bollywood|
|2014||TV Ka Pahela Radio Show Season 2, Episode 7||Sony MIX|
|Follow the Star on a Musical Journey with Mohit Chauhan||NDTV|
|2015||Minds Rocks||India Today|
|Wonder Kids||Zee News|
|2016||Aaj Ki Raat Hai Zindagi - Special Guest||Star Plus|
|Yeh Hai Aashiqui (Season 4) - Musical narrator||Bindass|
|2017||Chaupal||News 18 India|
Awards and honoursEdit
- "When Mohit Chauhan wanted to be an actor". 17 February 2016. Archived from the original on 12 March 2017. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- "Mohit Chauhan-: Latest News, Videos and Photos of Mohit Chauhan- - Times of India". m.timesofindia.com.
- "Mohit Chauhan complete his PG in Geology from Dharamsala College". Archived from the original on 13 August 2017. Retrieved 20 July 2017.
- "Mohit Chauhan wanted to be an actor". Archived from the original on 12 March 2017. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- "Mohit Chauhan - Forbes India Magazine". Forbes India. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "The sounds of silk - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- Roy, Dhaval (30 September 2018). "Make music that comes from deep within: Mohit Chauhan". DNA India. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "The Mountain Song -". 20 May 2009. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- Hungama, Bollywood (24 October 2009). "Mohit Chauhan – The Man with the Silk Voice : Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama". Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- MairaS (10 December 2011). "Bollywood Awards: 2010 Filmfare Awards Winners (55th Filmfare Awards)". Film and Movies. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Mohit Chauhan Jad Se Judien L'Oreal Paris India Song". Archived from the original on 20 November 2013. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- "Mohit Chaunan first Gujarati track". Archived from the original on 16 May 2017. Retrieved 20 July 2017.
- "Mohit Chauhan sings for first ever Himachali movie Saanjh – Lokmarg". lokmarg.com. Archived from the original on 13 August 2017. Retrieved 20 July 2017.
- "Guns Of Banaras | Song - Dheere Dheere Se | Hindi Video Songs - Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 14 June 2020.
- "Love Aaj Kal (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Pritam". Apple Music. Retrieved 14 June 2020.
- "Mohit Chauhan join Skill India Mission". Archived from the original on 13 August 2017. Retrieved 23 July 2017.
- "PadMan song Saale Sapne: This Akshay Kumar-Mohit Chauhan's track is about chasing your dream". Archived from the original on 14 June 2018. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- "ROZANA LYRICS - Phir Se - Mohit Chauhan & Tulsi Kumar". Archived from the original on 25 February 2018. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- "Hafiz Hafiz song detail".
- "Mohit Chauhan: Have to take care of animals around us". Hindustan Times. 3 April 2020. Retrieved 14 June 2020.
- "Get ready for 'Music Ka Maha Muqqabla'". The Times of India. 15 December 2009. Retrieved 22 December 2009.