Salim–Sulaiman is an Indian score composer duo consisting of siblings Salim Merchant and Sulaiman Merchant. The duo compose music predominantly for Hindi films.
|Occupation(s)||score composer, music director|
Life and early careerEdit
Salim–Sulaiman's ancestral town is Mundra, Kutch, Gujarat. They were born in Mumbai. Salim Merchant was born on 3 March 1974 and Sulaiman Merchant was born on 21 December 1970. They were inspired by their father Sadruddin Merchant, who used to lead Ismaili Scouts Orchestra in India. Steeped in a family tradition of music as the sons of composer and veteran of the film industry Sadruddin Merchant, Salim mastered the piano on at the Trinity College of Music in London while Sulaiman took up tabla training with such legends as Taufiq Qureshi and Ustad Zakir Hussain. Six years after their first music composition for a Bollywood film, they received acclaim for the film score of Bhoot.
Salim and Sulaiman have been composing music for over a decade having scored for movies such as Neal 'n' Nikki, Chak De! India, Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi and Fashion. The duo had also composed for many Indi-pop performers including Viva, Aasmaan, Shweta Shetty, Jasmine and Style Bhai among others, composed and produced several TV commercials and collaborated with artistes such as Ustad Zakir Hussain and Ustad Sultan Khan. After that, they have gone to do movies with well-known producers and directors like Yash Chopra, Subhash Ghai and Ram Gopal Varma. They were predominantly composing background scores for movies, until the Karan Johar-Shah Rukh Khan production Kaal, for which their song compositions received acclaim.
They have worked on a Bollywood remix for Lady Gaga's songs Born This Way and Judas. They also worked on I'm A Freak By Enrique. The duo did two songs for the Hollywood film Sold. During the 2020 lockdown Salim–Sulaiman released Gandhi Jayanti single with Ricky Kej. The duo have produced various tracks in collaboration with a number of indie artists including Shivansh Jindal.
2010 FIFA World CupEdit
The musical duo collaborated with South African singer Loyiso Bala and Kenyan singer and songwriter Eric Wainaina to record the anthem for 2010 FIFA World Cup. The anthem is the song "Africa – You're A Star".
Salim Merchant was a judge along with Anu Malik and Sunidhi Chauhan in season 5 and season 6 of Indian Idol. Salim has judged the second season of Indian Idol Junior along with Vishal Dadlani and Sonakshi Sinha.
Filmography as composersEdit
For background scoreEdit
- Skater Girl (2021)
- Coolie No. 1 (2020)
- Desert Dolphin (2020)
- Student of the Year 2 (2019)
- Kaabil (2017)
- Bang Bang! (2014)
- Gori Tere Pyaar Mein (2013)
- Krrish 3 (2013)
- Race 2 (2013)
- Cocktail (2012)
- Anaganaga O Dheerudu (2011) (Telugu)
- Anjaana Anjaani (2010)
- I Hate Luv Storys (2010)
- Kites (2010)
- Paathshaala (2010)
- Wanted (2009)
- Love Aaj Kal (2009)
- De Dana Dan (2009)
- Dostana (2008)
- Bachna Ae Haseeno (2008)
- Fashion (2008)
- Bhoothnath (2008)
- God Tussi Great Ho (2008)
- Singh Is Kinng (2008)
- Race (2008)
- Ta Ra Rum Pum (2007)
- Sunday (2007)
- Partner (2007)
- Dhoom 2 (2006)
- Krrish (2006)
- 36 China Town (2006)
- Shortcut (2006)
- Ustad & Divas (2006)
- Fanaa (2006)
- Pyare Mohan (2006)
- Being Cyrus (2006)
- Fight Club – Members Only (2006)
- Mere Jeevan Saathi (2006)
- Dosti: Friends Forever (2005)
- Vaah! Life Ho Toh Aisi! (2005)
- Salaam Namaste (2005)
- No Entry (2005)
- Barsaat (2005)
- Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya? (2005)
- Naina (2005)
- Matrubhoomi: A Nation Without Women (2005)
- Vaada (2005)
- Koffee with Karan (TV Series) (2004)
- Aitraaz (2004)
- Dhoom (2004)
- Shock (2004) (Tamil)
- Mujhse Shaadi Karogi (2004)
- Hyderabad Blues 2 (2004)
- Hum Tum (2004)
- Ab Tak Sodhi (2004)
- Agni Pankh (2004)
- Kahan Ho Tum (2003)
- Qayamat (2003)
- Moksha (2001)
- Pyaar Mein Kabhi Kabhi (1999)
- Hameshaa (1997)
- Singer: K.S.Chithra, Song Name: Sangeet, Raaga Raaga (album) (1993)
Discography as composersEdit
- "Salim - Sulaiman". www.facebook.com.
- "Har Ghar Kucch Kehta Hai" - Episode 6–30 December 2013
- "The Ismaili: Scoring the sounds of Bollywood". Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "It's merchant magic". www.iol.co.za.
- "The Rise of Salim-Sulaiman". Passion For Cinema. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- "Lady Gaga Goes Desi With Salim-Sulaiman Merchant". 13 April 2011.
- "I was never a crazy fan of Gaga: Salim". The Times of India. 17 April 2011. Archived from the original on 13 May 2013.
- "Sold's music is very different from the movie: Salim Merchant". radioandmusic.com. 6 May 2016.
- "Salim-Sulaiman collaborate with Ricky Kej for Gandhi Jayanti". The Times of India. 1 October 2020. Retrieved 2 April 2021.
- Rozario, R. R (9 October 2020). "Lockdown Diaries: Salim Sulaiman release Gandhi Jayanti single with Grammy Award Winner and US Billboard #1 artist, Ricky Kej". www.flipsyde.live. Retrieved 9 October 2020.
- Rozario, R. R (31 January 2021). "Music Directors Salim-Sulaiman Take A Chance With Young Indie Musician-Singer Shivansh Jindal And The Result Is Fabulous". flipsyde.live. Retrieved 23 March 2021.
- "Salim Sulaiman to perform at FIFA world cup". NDTV. Retrieved 4 February 2021.
- "Salim-Sulaiman nominated for Emmy". The Times of India. 22 May 2009. Archived from the original on 13 May 2013.